Hyphotical question...

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
kw5kw
Posts in topic: 1

Hyphotical question...

Post by kw5kw »

In reference to Dallas Cowboys safety Keith Davis being shot over the weekend.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=a ... &type=lgns

Where I quote from the article:
Dallas Cowboys safety Keith Davis was shot twice while driving on a Dallas highway early Sunday and was hospitalized in stable condition after undergoing surgery to remove bullet fragments. ... the injuries were minor and that Davis expected to be released [from the hospital] late Sunday or Monday. ...

This is the second time in three years that Davis has been shot. He was an innocent bystander last time, and this time Stephens said the player was driving home from a family vacation....
Taking this into consideration; If (and a big, big IF) you're driving down the highway, street or freeway, and a person in a car pulls up next to you and takes aim, do you / would you draw and shoot back?
Russ
kw5kw

Retired DPS Communications Operator PCO III January 2014.

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

I think I'd either speed up or slow down.
I don't like being a target.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I think first I would hit brakes or accelerator to get out of the way. I would definitely draw my pistol if he makes another attempt. I would be calling 911 on the Cell so everything is recorded; I would be trying to get license plate numbers, description of car and driver, and trying my best to avoid him without placing me and my family in any more danger. Honestly I am afraid most people drive with tunnel vision and they are not aware of what is arround them. Just My Opinion. ;-)
I am sure there are random shootings like this, but I would be one to believe there is no telling what Mr. Davis had done or where he had been.

longtooth
Posts in topic: 3

Post by longtooth »

+1 Carlson. Brakes first. Vehicles stop faster than excellerate. Also 2nd response (theirs) braking takes longer than excelleration. Give good look at plates. Then evasive driving while dialing 911 or the wife doing that in the floorboard. Then get to pistol if possible.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

cyphur

Post by cyphur »

Brake, note plate numbers, call 911 on speakerphone, and begin evasive driving. Do anything you can to make the other car swerve, run off the road, et cetera. Personally I'd focus on escape and evasion as opposed to shooting. I have no way to guarantee while driving 60mph and possible swerving that I am going to hit my target, and not some soccer mom's full minivan on the other side of the highway. If you were the passanger, then responding in kind may be the answer, but as a driver - driving is your main responsibility.
JMHO.

And about sheeple with tunnel vision, a great example is that lady who got shot at on 635 North a few months back. She had no idea what happened. Best bet was she cut off the wrong person and never even saw them.

1TallTXn

Post by 1TallTXn »

Brakes, Gas, swerve. get away.
There's a lot of things you can do and get away. just make sure you've not got somebody riding your tail before you smack the brakes, but then again, you should already know that because your situationally aware ;-)

AV8R

Post by AV8R »

I've been through this scenario a few times (targeted, not random), although not in the US (fortunately). Every time, I was driving not smaller than a 4-door F-350 (weighs about 40 million grains), so it's been easy enough to stay on the road. The three rules covering this are drive the car, drive the car, and drive the car. Once you maneuver them in front, you're ok; what you do from there depends on communication, location, and availability of friendlies. If you're alone, on the road, think about picking your spot and taking care of things from there; hopefully they'll drive on. If you have radio or cell communications, keep a safe distance behind for position reports as long as practical and let someone else take care of the problem. Never hurts to travel with a rifle; I personally go with a 20" slug gun.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

A lot of people who were shot asked for it, but there have been a number of unsolved, random shootings on I-45 south of Houston, usually at night, usually women driving alone. Their survivors said that they had no reason to be targeted (estranged boyfriends, etc.).

Personally, I think the perpetrator has been caught. A couple of years ago, someone shot at another car there and missed. The intended victim was able to describe the vehicle, and the driver was arrested. I don't know the disposition of the case, but there have been no incidents since then.

I mention this because I know some of you frequent this stretch of road (as I do).

- Jim

quidni
Posts in topic: 2

Post by quidni »

cyphur wrote:Brake, note plate numbers, call 911 on speakerphone, and begin evasive driving.
Seems to me this would also be a good time to use that dratted camera that comes as a "standard" feature on a number of cell phones now...
TSRA / NRA
KA5RLA
All guns have at least two safeties. One's digital, one's cognitive. In other words - keep the digit off the trigger until ready to fire, and THINK. Some guns also have mechanical safeties on top of those. But if the first two don't work, the mechanical ones aren't guaranteed. - me

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Good idea quidni, cept some of us old guys can barely make'em work as a telephone. :oops: :???:
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

quidni
Posts in topic: 2

Post by quidni »

longtooth, I'd be just as happy if my phone didn't have a camera (you should have been there when I told the clerk I just wanted a "drop-kick it, dust it off, and dial it" basic phone.) I do like using the alarm clock funtion, though. It hasn't happend recently, but there have been a couple times I accidentally wound up taking a pic of my hand when trying to switch the alarm off in my sleep.... :oops:
TSRA / NRA
KA5RLA
All guns have at least two safeties. One's digital, one's cognitive. In other words - keep the digit off the trigger until ready to fire, and THINK. Some guns also have mechanical safeties on top of those. But if the first two don't work, the mechanical ones aren't guaranteed. - me

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Didnot say the dropkick to the lady at the store but did tell her I wanted one that would take a trip to the floor, scatter back & battery across the room then go back together & still work. She shook her head & said well maybe. Alarm is nice to.

Since you said that I will give a hit for any that might listen up. If you have an appointment that you want to shorten up but cant reall do it w/o good reason. Set your alarm & when it goes off "take the EMERGENCY call" & excuse yourself. I don't do it very often but have. :lol:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”