What to give LEO at traffic stop

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
pfgrone
Posts in topic: 2

What to give LEO at traffic stop

Post by pfgrone »

While browsing other forums, I've noticed many people in other states say they were asked for dl, insurance, AND auto registration papers.

Obviously, in Texas we are required to include the CHL. But I've never heard it even mentioned about providing auto registration papers (not even in CHL class) and I've never been asked for more than dl and proof of insurance when I've been stopped in the past.

1. Is "auto registration papers" the same as title papers? My titles are at home in a safe.
2. What is the state requirement to produce besides dl, proof of insurance, and, in our case, CHL?

Thanks, Paul

Glockamolie
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Glockamolie »

Nobody ever asks for "registration" in Texas, and it's not a legal requirement that I'm aware of.
- Brandon

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

In some states, you have to produce the piece of paper that you get when you renew the registration.

Much grief comes from this requirement.

- Jim

John

Post by John »

our registration is on the windshield :)
JohnC

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

I once went round and round with an Arkansas trooper on this. He kept insisting that Texas gives a paper registration, because he's seen them, and I kept telling him that the registration was a sticker on the windshield.

Afterwards, I figured out that he must have been looking for the registration receipt. Since then, I've started keeping the receipt with my insurance papers, just in case.

Kevin

yerasimos

Ihre papiere!

Post by yerasimos »

pfgrone wrote:While browsing other forums, I've noticed many people in other states say they were asked for dl, insurance, AND auto registration papers.

Obviously, in Texas we are required to include the CHL. But I've never heard it even mentioned about providing auto registration papers (not even in CHL class) and I've never been asked for more than dl and proof of insurance when I've been stopped in the past.

1. Is "auto registration papers" the same as title papers? My titles are at home in a safe.
2. What is the state requirement to produce besides dl, proof of insurance, and, in our case, CHL?

Thanks, Paul
1. Title is state-granted proof/affirmation that you own a piece of property. Registration is sort of like a yearly semi-fixed $28 or $33 "head tax" except in this case levied upon an automobile. In upstate NY, they typically want to see the registration receipt, which is a squarish stub of paper that came with the registration sticker; you are required to paste the latter on the lower left corner of your windshield as in Texas, and keep the former available for inspection upon demand. I guess LEOs in certain places like to see a match between your registration receipt and the registration sticker/license plate.

2. I have not been stopped here in Texas (nor do I wish to establish a contrary pattern) but from what I have heard, for CHLers we would hand over our DL, CHL and proof of insurance or "financial responsibility". AFAIK, this is it. Otherwise, I would keep my hands visible and empty, turn on the dome light, drop the windows, and cooperate as best I can without saying or doing anything that will cause trouble for me.

For "registration" what I have done is cut down the piece of paper with the TxDOT header that came with my registration sticker, so the paper stub matches the size of my insurance card, and attach the two together and keep them in my wallet. This way, if necessary I can save myself the grief that some of the rest of you have experienced when out-of-state LEOs demand "registration". Also, I minimize rooting around in the vehicle (no need to open the glove box or console) and I also avoid leaving paperwork in the car that a thief could snatch.

Corona

Post by Corona »

I was pulled over outside Little Rock on a roadtrip to Michigan. Trooper was very nice, and totally accepted sticker on the windshield. It's my only experience.
-Corona

Topic author
pfgrone

Post by pfgrone »

yerasimos wrote: I guess LEOs in certain places like to see a match between your registration receipt and the registration sticker/license plate.
Seeing this post reminded me that your auto license plate number is also printed on the registration sticker that goes on the windshield.

I am going to be sure the paper receipt for registration renewal is in the glove compartment whether it has to be or not, but I'm still going to leave the original title in the safe.

Thanks for the responses. Paul

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

KBCraig wrote:I once went round and round with an Arkansas trooper on this. He kept insisting that Texas gives a paper registration, because he's seen them, and I kept telling him that the registration was a sticker on the windshield.

Afterwards, I figured out that he must have been looking for the registration receipt. Since then, I've started keeping the receipt with my insurance papers, just in case.Kevin
Only ones in Texas that MUST keep the receipt in the vehicle is commercial vehicles.

kw5kw

Post by kw5kw »

pfgrone wrote: Seeing this post reminded me that your auto license plate number is also printed on the registration sticker that goes on the windshield.

I am going to be sure the paper receipt for registration renewal is in the glove compartment whether it has to be or not, but I'm still going to leave the original title in the safe.

Thanks for the responses. Paul
Yes, now that each windshield sticker is "customized" for VIN and LICENSE PLATE number, it's easy for any LEO to make sure that all numbers match quickly without the need for verifying paperwork.

Russ
Russ
kw5kw

Retired DPS Communications Operator PCO III January 2014.

Commander

Post by Commander »

Do not, under any circumstances, keep the title to your vehicle in the glove compartment or anywhere in the vehicle. Keep it safely stored at home or a safe deposit box. If your car was stolen with the title in it, you would have no proof of ownership and the thief would have an easier time disposing of it.

Texas does not require presenting registration papers at a traffic stop.
"Happiness is a warm gun" - The Beatles - 1969

Commander

wileyj

From a long time ago

Post by wileyj »

Some of you may remember when all Texas license plates renewed in about March.
I was in Las Vegas in February and dealt with a trooper about my plates being out of date. We discussed it and finally he accepted the fact.
Whenever you are out of state, there can be difficulties but be curteous and you should be fine.
Racing Miatas, Good cigars, Big guns
Houston, TX

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

Heh... we had uninformed police right here at home. After we switched from stickers on the plate, to the windshield sticker, I got stopped by Texarkana PD for "expired registration". Except it wasn't, as shown by the valid windshield sticker.

She looked confused for a minute, then suggested I scrape the old stickers off the plate when I got home. I think she was new to patrol.

Kevin

GrannyGlock

Post by GrannyGlock »

Just after Texas went to window stickers, my daughter got a ticket in LA CA for not having a current registration. Being only 19 and not used to talking to LEO, she didn't know to tell him about the window sticker. Ended up costing $75 that I could never convince the LA city court wasn't theirs.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”