CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
chuckybrown
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Why do we patronize gun shows?

Post by chuckybrown »

Ok, I often read on this site that we write businesses that post 30.06 signs. We write municipalities that incorrectly post properties.

Yet, for some reason, we're not as proactive with the organizations that run these gun shows? It's almost hypocritical!!!!

I can carry into any gun shop I can think of, yet to save a $, we all arrive without our weapons, or allow them to be rendered inoperative in order to enter the shows.

What are your thoughts? Should we all begin to collectively stand up and become a voice? My gosh, could you imagine the pressure if attendence began to fall off, and they knew why?

My .02 cents.

Your .02 cents???????????
Chuckybrown

Dudley
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Why do we patronize gun shows?

Post by Dudley »

I thought 30.06 didn't apply in government buildings.
If you think health care is expensive now, wait until it's free.

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Mike1951 »

I think that the most likely reason is the insurance the show promoter must buy.

To rent a faciity, the promoter must show that he is insured. The insurer probably insists that for them to provide said insurance, that everything must be done to prevent loaded guns being allowed. Whether or not the insurance company is savvy enough to specifically require 30.06 signs is unknown, but it seems an obvious way for the promoter to show his intent to comply.

If a promoter did not post 30.06 and was unable to obtain insurance, there would be no show for us to fret about.

The only shows that can legally post are those held in privately owned facilities, a distinct minority.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
chuckybrown
Banned

Post by chuckybrown »

Mike1951 wrote:I think that the most likely reason is the insurance the show promoter must buy.

To rent a faciity, the promoter must show that he is insured. The insurer probably insists that for them to provide said insurance, that everything must be done to prevent loaded guns being allowed. Whether or not the insurance company is savvy enough to specifically require 30.06 signs is unknown, but it seems an obvious way for the promoter to show his intent to comply.

If a promoter did not post 30.06 and was unable to obtain insurance, there would be no show for us to fret about.

The only shows that can legally post are those held in privately owned facilities, a distinct minority.
Ok, perhaps that's why they're posted....but why do we continue to patronize them?
Chuckybrown

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

Why do you pay any attention to the 30.06 signs?

I don't!
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
chuckybrown
Banned

Post by chuckybrown »

I just got a PM suggesting that if we boycott these shows, we're doing the work of the Brady folks.

I suppose most on here are smarter than that. I'm questioning where we spend our money. There are multiple posts on this board regarding businesses/places that are avoided/not patronized because of their position. Gun shows serve thier purposes. However, am I the only one that sees
the irony in a gun show being posted?

Am I missing something, or being unreasonable?
Chuckybrown

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

chuckybrown wrote:I just got a PM suggesting that if we boycott these shows, we're doing the work of the Brady folks.

I suppose most on here are smarter than that. I'm questioning where we spend our money. There are multiple posts on this board regarding businesses/places that are avoided/not patronized because of their position. Gun shows serve thier purposes. However, am I the only one that sees
the irony in a gun show being posted?

Am I missing something, or being unreasonable?
That's not a stretch. If my earlier logic is correct, then NO 30.06 SIGNS = NO INSURANCE = NO GUN SHOWS. You'd make the Brady folks proud.

Thus it isn't a choice for the promoter like it is for Katy Mills Mall or Mom & Pop's diner.

All of the shows in my area are in government owned facilities, so the postings aren't enforceable.

So I would definitely say that you're being unreasonable.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
chuckybrown
Banned

Post by chuckybrown »

Thanks Mike, I love a good argument!! :thumbs2:

Are you confident this is an insurance matter? If so, is it a cost issue that could be offset by a slightly higher entry fee?
Chuckybrown

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

chuckybrown wrote:Thanks Mike, I love a good argument!! :thumbs2:

Are you confident this is an insurance matter? If so, is it a cost issue that could be offset by a slightly higher entry fee?
Truthfully, I am not. There are so few promoters, it is doubtful whether we have one as a member here who could speak up.

But how many businesses can operate without insurance?

What are the chances that the city of Houston or Dallas would lease one of their facilities to someone that did not provide proof of insurance.

Nor do I know for a fact that such a condition exists in that insurance, but for a firearm related business, it seems highly likely.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
chuckybrown
Banned

Post by chuckybrown »

Mike, gotcha. Something to ponder....

It just seems that we need to hold "our own" to the same standards to which we want to hold others....

Call me unreasonable.
Chuckybrown

chabouk
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by chabouk »

I have read somewhere earlier this year, where someone checked up on the insurance for a gun show, and found that the insurance theory was completely bogus.

...wish I could recall where that was. I thought it was here.

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

Oddly enough, I would support you if we were speaking of a brick and mortar gun shop because they have the choice.

I don't hold it against gun shows because it seems to be a condition of doing business.
chabouk wrote:I have read somewhere earlier this year, where someone checked up on the insurance for a gun show, and found that the insurance theory was completely bogus.
If that's correct, I will stand corrected. I would like to see whatever you find.

Any insurance folks out there?
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

I found this earlier statement made by Jim Dark, Mr. Cotton's predecessor as Executive Director of the TSRA. Therefore, when he speaks of the TSRA show, he was definitely in a position to know.
Reason for no-guns policy
by jimdark » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:50 am

I think you will find that most gun show promoters have general liability policies that require a no loaded guns policy inside their gun shows. The show that TSRA promotes in Mesquite has the same policy, not because we want to, but because we would have to do the show "bare" of insurance if we did otherwise.

Even the gun show insurance available through the NRA's Endorsed Insurance Program has this restriction.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

txbirddog

Post by txbirddog »

I enjoy going to gun shows once in a while to see the latest gadget or the old firearms. Most times I leave empty handed. I for one, like the no gun rule. I have seen way TOOOOOO MANY that I would trust in a crowded room, taking out a LOADED gun and asking about it. I don't like being swept in a gun shop and would not want to be swept by a loaded gun there. I think there is just too much that could/would go wrong in a place like that.

Think of it this way, you get some nut and he is swept by someone with a gun looking at it, he is then justified to return fire. After all, he had a "loaded" gun pointed at him and was in fear for his life....No that one person opens fire....

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I've only been to two gun shows and did not buy anything at either one. To me they are a great place to look and get ideas and try things on to see how they fit. The prices were no better than going to any shop around town. If I find something I like I might visit their website and buy from them if their price is the best or close enough. If it is close to the best price I'll get it from them because they put the effort in at the show.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”