CHLer shoots burgler in Manvel

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
CrimsonSoul
Posts in topic: 1

Post by CrimsonSoul »

http://www.thefacts.com/story.lasso?ewc ... 8abc0145f2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Right around the corner from me, at least he was able to do it
Officers: Homeowner shot at man in burglaryBy John Lowman
The Facts

Published December 11, 2009
MANVEL — Gerald Yoakum said he was protecting his family when he fired two shots at a man police said was a would-be burglar, but he doesn’t feel very heroic.

“I’m having a real problem with it,” said Yoakum, a Manvel attorney who says he is a Christian. “I never thought I would have to shoot at somebody.”

At about 12:30 a.m. Sunday, Yoakum saw the shadow of a hooded figure pass outside his bedroom window. His 17-year-old daughter had just gone outside to the guest house to play video games and Yoakum knew there wasn’t supposed to be anyone else there.

He grabbed a .38 caliber revolver and took it to the garage door inside the home, in the kitchen, and placed the gun on a counter before going into the garage. The front garage door was closed but a back door was open, he said.

The Brazoria County Sheriff’s Office received a 9-1-1 call about the incident, Lt. Russ Baker said.

“His wife’s vehicle was parked inside the garage and he discovered a Hispanic male in the vehicle,” Baker said.

The suspect, Christopher Hernandez, 18, had a knife, Yoakum said. At some point in the interaction, Baker said Hernandez moved toward the door where Yoakum was, and Yoakum retrieved his pistol.

“My first thought was, ‘How many of them are there?,’” Yoakum said. “I see he’s backing out and see he has a chrome knife on his side. I shouted at him to stop. I didn’t want my daughter walking out of the guest house and getting stabbed or becoming a hostage.”

Yoakum said he saw Hernandez reach toward the knife, which was partially hidden inside the pocket of his jeans.

“I wasn’t going to wait until he was on top of me,” Yoakum said. The commotion brought Yoakum’s 5-year-old son to the garage door.

“Everything happened so fast,” Yoakum said. “I fired twice. I aimed low. I didn’t want that knife to end up in my chest.”

Hernandez was hit once in the left shin. He was taken by ambulance to Memorial Hermann Hospital in Houston in good condition, Baker said.

“I was just glad he wasn’t dead,” said Yoakum, who is trained to use firearms and has a concealed-carry license. “I didn’t want to take anybody’s life. I’ve often said I pray I’ll never have to use the weapon I carry. I talked to the kid while he was laying there. I asked him why he had the knife. He said I could take it.”

The case will be direct-filed through a grand jury, Baker said.

Hernandez faces charges of burglary of a habitation, a felony punishable by up to 20 years in prison. No charges will be filed against Yoakum, Baker said.

Yoakum said he still has visions of a hooded shadow passing his window, and he and family members are going through therapy to deal with the break-in.

There had been other recent break-ins in the neighborhood, but no one had told the Yoakums. Their home has an alarm system, but it was off. The family has a Rottweiler, but it has been ill and was in a pen.

“We don’t feel safe in our home,” he said. “It was the worst night of my life.”
Approved 07/17/09
In hand 07/17/09

wheelgun1958

Re: CHLer shoots burgler in Manvel

Post by wheelgun1958 »

Center mass would have been better. A knife wielding burglar can close REAL quick.

:fire

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

That kid is lucky. I hope he learned a lesson.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

WildBill
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WildBill »

Beiruty wrote:That kid is lucky. I hope he learned a lesson.
:iagree: Crime doesn't pay, and it can be very painful.
NRA Endowment Member

USA1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by USA1 »

WildBill wrote:
Beiruty wrote:That kid is lucky. I hope he learned a lesson.
:iagree: Crime doesn't pay, and it can be very painful.
:iagree: That's why I like being on the good side of the law. :mrgreen:
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Oldgringo »

:smilelol5: I'd hate to get shot but I'd really be sore if somebody shot me in my Manvel. :biggrinjester: "rlol"

USA1

Post by USA1 »

Oldgringo wrote:
:smilelol5: I'd hate to get shot but I'd really be sore if somebody shot me in my Manvel. :biggrinjester: "rlol"
:shock: .............. :woohoo
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

I wonder if the operation to remove the bullet was a shin dig.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

mctowalot

Post by mctowalot »

On a serious note, I wonder long would the family have to remain in therapy if that .38 wasn't available?

As Venus's parents said, he wasn't there for iced tea.

ninemm

Post by ninemm »

I wish we could follow this story for several years. I wonder if Hernandez or his family will sue Yoakum.

aerod1

Post by aerod1 »

This is why we have laws such as the CHL and the Castle Doctrine. He should be thankful he had a gun!!
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
Texas CHL, C&R 03 FFL
US Navy veteran, USS Midway (V-1 division)

stroo

Post by stroo »

Doesn't sound like the CHLer had thought through the implications of carrying a gun. You need to be mentally prepared to shoot someone if you are going to carry.

LostInAustin

Post by LostInAustin »

Dragonfighter wrote:I wonder if the operation to remove the bullet was a shin dig.
"rlol"
Colt Combat Commander
Colt Govt Model Series 70
Beretta 92FS

rob845

Post by rob845 »

ninemm wrote:I wish we could follow this story for several years. I wonder if Hernandez or his family will sue Yoakum.
Well, IANAL but I don't think they can, refer to CPRC 83.0001. THe civil imunity clause.. If they force was justifiable, under chapter 9 of the penal code, he is immune from civil liabilty

page 70: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/LS-16.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
*Taurus PT845/745
*Bersa Thunder 9 Compact

PappaGun

Post by PappaGun »

rob845 wrote:
ninemm wrote:I wish we could follow this story for several years. I wonder if Hernandez or his family will sue Yoakum.
Well, IANAL but I don't think they can, refer to CPRC 83.0001. THe civil imunity clause.. If they force was justifiable, under chapter 9 of the penal code, he is immune from civil liabilty

page 70: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/LS-16.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:iagree:

And, it does seem he did not think of the implications. But he is better off alive than dead.
I never get the I am a Christian and I don't want to hurt anybody part.
Be a man. The Bible does not say you can't hurt another.
"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe."
- Noah Webster

"All we ask for is registration, just like we do for cars."
- Charles Schumer

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”