Taser? Where can we carry it?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Boma
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Boma »

I meant stun gun. I saw them at the gunshow and the guy was showing them . They emit a LOUD crackle. One that may scare someone away =).

$50 bucks and it includes some OC spray. Is that a good deal guys?

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

seamusTX wrote:
txinvestigator wrote:(14) "Chemical dispensing device" means a device, other than a small chemical dispenser sold commercially for personal protection, that is designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of dispensing a substance capable of causing an adverse psychological or physiological
effect on a human being.
I have never thought about this law. It appears to be aimed at tear gas and homemade poison gas (like sarin).

- Jim
The intent seems to be poison gas and gas grenades... Tear gas defensive sprays are okay. Although it would be nice for them to define "small".... "small" is a matter of opinion... and I believe the law to be a bad one.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 8

Post by txinvestigator »

Paladin wrote:
seamusTX wrote:
txinvestigator wrote:(14) "Chemical dispensing device" means a device, other than a small chemical dispenser sold commercially for personal protection, that is designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of dispensing a substance capable of causing an adverse psychological or physiological
effect on a human being.
I have never thought about this law. It appears to be aimed at tear gas and homemade poison gas (like sarin).

- Jim
The intent seems to be poison gas and gas grenades... Tear gas defensive sprays are okay. Although it would be nice for them to define "small".... "small" is a matter of opinion... and I believe the law to be a bad one.
negative. it includes tear gas and OC. Dallas Police have arrested guards carrying the large kind with the handle as it DOES meet the prohibited definition. Reading the law it includes ANY substance capable of causing an adverse psychological or physiological effect on a human being. If you don't think OC or tear gas causes an adverse psychological or physiological on a person, come by the range, sign a waiver and we will do a little experiment. :eek6 :anamatedbanana

I agree that it needs a better definition.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by flintknapper »

If you don't think OC or tear gas causes an adverse psychological or physiological on a person, come by the range, sign a waiver and we will do a little experiment.

Like you, having "been there"...I'm gonna take a pass. ;-)

But if you get any "takers", please give me notice, because I really want to be there for that.
:grin:
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

jbirds1210
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jbirds1210 »

While doing a great deal of OC training for the prison system...it was very common for the initial "exposure" of OC on cadets be videotaped and shown to them a few days later......this effectively proves that they had little or no fight left in them for a period of time. I have been exposed to OC, CS, and CN a number of times and I would gladly take either of the particulate forms rather than the hot sauce!
Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

txinvestigator wrote:
Paladin wrote:
seamusTX wrote:
effect on a human being.

- Jim
negative. it includes tear gas and OC. Dallas Police have arrested guards carrying the large kind with the handle as it DOES meet the prohibited definition. Reading the law it includes ANY substance capable of causing an adverse psychological or physiological effect on a human being. If you don't think OC or tear gas causes an adverse psychological or physiological on a person, come by the range, sign a waiver and we will do a little experiment. :eek6 :anamatedbanana

I'm not sure you get my meaning.

"small" defensive tear gas sprays are okay, just as "small" defensive OC sprays are okay.

If DPD believes that "small" defensive tear gas sprays are illegal... then why are they sold over the counter in Dallas?
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

JLaw
Posts in topic: 3

Post by JLaw »

Okay, so is there a difference between OC spray and the pepper spray that you can pick up anywhere?

JLaw

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

Paladin wrote:
txinvestigator wrote:
Paladin wrote:
seamusTX wrote:
effect on a human being.

- Jim

I'm not sure you get my meaning.

"small" defensive tear gas sprays are okay, just as "small" defensive OC sprays are okay.

If DPD believes that "small" defensive tear gas sprays are illegal... then why are they sold over the counter in Dallas?
I get you. "Small" is too ambiguous of a word. ;-)
*CHL Instructor*

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

JLaw wrote:Okay, so is there a difference between OC spray and the pepper spray that you can pick up anywhere?

JLaw
No, OC is pepper spray. As long as you are carrying a small device sold commercially for self protection you are good to go.
*CHL Instructor*

Venus Pax
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Venus Pax »

My CHL instructor sold me a stun gun for $25. It's not very high-powered, but he said it would do the trick.
His 100,000 watt models were $50. Those things lit up the room.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”