Taser? Where can we carry it?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Boma
Posts in topic: 2

Taser? Where can we carry it?

Post by Boma »

Can we carry it anywhere except courthouses, hospitals, etc? Can my gf have one for her dormroom?

Tecumseh

Post by Tecumseh »

She cant carry in her dormroom. I know that for sure.
Check out---> http://www.packing.org/state/texas/#stateoff_limits

Off the site...
Date updated: Aug 23, 2005 @ 8:07 pm

Title 10 Chpt. 46 § 46.03

A place of business that derives 51% or more of its income from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on premises consumption
On premises of a correctional facility
On the physical premises of a school, an educational institution, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or an educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private,
On the premises where a high school, collegiate or professional sporting event of interscholastic event is taking place, unless the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used in the event
On the premises of a polling place on the day of an election or while early voting is in progress.
racetrack; secured area of an airport
In any government court or offices utilized by the court, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the court.
*on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established place of religious worship.
*On the premises of a Hospital licensed under the Health and Safety Code
*On the premises of a nursing home licensed under the Health and Safety Code
*Amusement parks. Amusement Parks means a permanent indoor or outdoor facility or park where amusement rides are available for use by the public that is located in a county with a population of more than one million, encompasses at least 75 acres in surface area, is enclosed with access only through controlled entries, is open for operation more than 120 days in each calendar year, and has security guards on the premises at all times. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.
Public or private premises conspicuously posted with this sign do
Items above marked * Do not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06.
30.06(e)

Tecumseh

Post by Tecumseh »

My mistake. I misunderstood and thought that you meant a handgun. I dont know about a taser. My mistake.

Syntax360
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Syntax360 »

To my knowledge, there are no laws on the books yet regarding tasers. I believe you can legally carry them anywhere that will allow you to bring one in (ie no metal detectors, etc.)

Of course I'm not a lawyer - am I wrong on this one?

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 8

Post by txinvestigator »

TASERs are not yet prohited or restricted.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

AFAiK, you are correct that Texas has no laws regarding Tazers or defensive weapons such as pepper spray. However, colleges and employers often have expansive policies about weapons that could be construed to include them.

I am not a lawyer, either.

I think the question is a bit farcical, considering all the illegal activities that take place in college dorms.

- Jim
Last edited by seamusTX on Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

JLaw
Posts in topic: 3

Post by JLaw »

Are you looking into carrying a taser? Which kind, like the police use that shoots the electrodes or the older style that you push against the assailants body and press the button to activate the taser?

I've been curious for a while if anybody out there's carrying the older style tasers, or if it's pretty much just pepper spray, and why that is. Well, I suppose the why is because you can deploy pepper spray before the assailant reaches you. Still curious though.

JLaw

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

JLaw wrote:Are you looking into carrying a taser? Which kind, like the police use that shoots the electrodes or the older style that you push against the assailants body and press the button to activate the taser?
That is not a TASER. That is a stun gun.

TASER= Thomas A Swift's Electric Rifle.
*CHL Instructor*

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

seamusTX wrote:AFAiK, you are correct that Texas has no laws regarding Tazers or defensive weapons such as pepper spray. However, colleges and employers often have expansive policies about weapons that could be construed to include them.

I am not a lawyer, either.

I think the question is a bit farcical, considering all the illegal activities that take place in colege dorms.

- Jim
Actually Texas does restrict OC in certain circumstances.

Text
§46.05. Prohibited weapons.

(a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or
knowingly possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs, or sells:

(8) a chemical dispensing device

46.01 Definitions

(14) "Chemical dispensing device" means a device, other than
a small chemical dispenser sold commercially for personal protection,

that is designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of dispensing a
substance capable of causing an adverse psychological or physiological
effect on a human being.
*CHL Instructor*

JLaw

Post by JLaw »

txinvestigator wrote:
JLaw wrote:Are you looking into carrying a taser? Which kind, like the police use that shoots the electrodes or the older style that you push against the assailants body and press the button to activate the taser?

Ah-ha, my misunderstanding. Thank you for the correction.

JLaw

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

txinvestigator wrote:

The advanced model can be used either way (probably the older ones too). Here is an excerpt from the owners manual:

USING THE STUN GUN BACKUP

To use the stun gun AFTER FIRING an Air Cartridge, press down the Trigger Switch (make sure the Safety Slide has been pulled back) to ensure the unit is active, then press the front of the ADVANCED TASER firmly against the body of an assailant. It does not matter whether the Air Cartridge is in or not. The ADVANCED TASER works as a stun gun with or without the Air Cartridge in place. Even with the Air Cartridge in place, the metal prongs on the front of the ADVANCED TASER will deliver T-Waves directly to the body of the target
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

txinvestigator wrote:(14) "Chemical dispensing device" means a device, other than a small chemical dispenser sold commercially for personal protection, that is designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of dispensing a substance capable of causing an adverse psychological or physiological
effect on a human being.
I have never thought about this law. It appears to be aimed at tear gas and homemade poison gas (like sarin).

- Jim

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

seamusTX wrote:
txinvestigator wrote:(14) "Chemical dispensing device" means a device, other than a small chemical dispenser sold commercially for personal protection, that is designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of dispensing a substance capable of causing an adverse psychological or physiological
effect on a human being.
I have never thought about this law. It appears to be aimed at tear gas and homemade poison gas (like sarin).

- Jim
OC qualifies as " substance capable of causing an adverse psychological or physiological effect on a human being".

This is a Chemical Dispensing Device;

This is not;

The difference being "small, commercially available, and sold for self-protection. The large one is sold for crowd control, etc.
*CHL Instructor*

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

flintknapper wrote:
txinvestigator wrote:

The advanced model can be used either way (probably the older ones too). Here is an excerpt from the owners manual:

USING THE STUN GUN BACKUP

To use the stun gun AFTER FIRING an Air Cartridge, press down the Trigger Switch (make sure the Safety Slide has been pulled back) to ensure the unit is active, then press the front of the ADVANCED TASER firmly against the body of an assailant. It does not matter whether the Air Cartridge is in or not. The ADVANCED TASER works as a stun gun with or without the Air Cartridge in place. Even with the Air Cartridge in place, the metal prongs on the front of the ADVANCED TASER will deliver T-Waves directly to the body of the target
You are right. it can be used as a stun gun. But these are NOT TASERS;

*CHL Instructor*

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

True.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”