Knife vs gun when it's all you've got.

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
HighVelocity
Posts in topic: 1

Knife vs gun when it's all you've got.

Post by HighVelocity »

If you know how to use the knife and the BG doesn't know how to use the gun...
Police seek 4 robbery suspectsBy DEANNA BOYD
STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER
FORT WORTH — One man has been arrested, and the police are still searching for other suspects in connection with a robbery early Sunday outside a Fort Worth nightclub that led to the stabbing of at least one person and a wreck involving a stolen pickup.

Lt. Dean Sullivan, a police spokesman, said the incident began shortly after 2 a.m. as five adult relatives and one of their girlfriends were leaving Club Rock Bottom, 2101 Jacksboro Highway.

Sullivan said the group had just walked to a parking lot west of a bar in the 3700 block of Ohio Garden Road when they were confronted by five people, at least one of whom had a gun. The robbers demanded the group’s money, jewelry and keys, he said.

During the robbery, a victim shoved the armed person, prompting him to begin to push back the slide on his gun.

“He attempted to chamber a round,� Sullivan said. “That’s when the victim was able to retrieve his pocketknife from his pocket and lash out in defense.�

The victim stabbed at least one robber, police said.

The robbers then fled in a white sport utility vehicle and a red Chevy pickup belonging to a victim.

While officers were at the bar investigating, police learned about an accident at Jacksboro and Northside Drive involving a red Chevy pickup, Sullivan said.

“At that scene, officers confirmed one of the vehicles involved was the victim’s stolen truck,� Sullivan said.

Inside, officers found a knife and handgun, he said. The driver had fled.

Sullivan said officers later responded to Harris Methodist Fort Worth hospital after learning that a man matching the description of one of the robbers had arrived in the emergency room bleeding profusely from several large cuts.

That man, who police said is Jerardo Zurita, 21, was identified by a victim as one of the robbers. He was arrested and faces a charge of aggravated robbery. He remained hospitalized Monday, jail officials said.

Jose Alfredo Salinas, 17, who was with Zurita at the hospital, was arrested on suspicion of failure to identify himself to police. Detectives are investigating whether he had a role in the robbery.

Later Sunday morning, officers responding to a tip located the white SUV believed to have been used as the getaway car. It was outside the La Hacienda apartment complex, in the 1200 block of Glen Garden Drive. Police say large amounts of blood were found inside and outside the SUV.
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/15166195.htm ... tstory.jsp

Slash type injuries with a sharp blade can be pretty extreme. Too bad none of the victims were CHL holders legally carrying. If the BG had known what he was doing this story could've ended a lot differently.
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

The Marshal

Post by The Marshal »

Key words in this store are "after 2 a.m."

There is a real pattern to all these incidents.
Simply put, if you are foolish enough to be out after midnight, be prepared to use a weapon/have one used on you.

~Bill

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

From "arms length" and closer, I would actually prefer a knife (initially).

They are much easier to wield than most pistols, can be employed very quickly, never run out of ammo, less chance of being disarmed, nearly impossible to defend against (short term), and actually don't require much training to use.

One requirement however...is that you be physically fit enough to "tussle" with someone and keep your balance. At very close quarters, a knife makes an excellent tool with which to fight your way to your gun.

Don't laugh at "short" blades either (2-4 inches). They are more than capable of delivering vicious cuts. These are not especially good "stabbing" knives, but..soft tissue deflection (abdomen) can allow you to reach vital organs. Even with a 1 inch blade, anywhere on your body that I can take a "pulse", I can inflict serious damage.

Take all edged weapons very seriously.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

flintknapper wrote:From "arms length" and closer, I would actually prefer a knife (initially).

Take all edged weapons very seriously.
Some years back, when I lived in NY state (upstate) I used to carry my (Navy Issue) Kabar on house clearing excursions when the wife heard a bump in the night. Even though I had a variety of long guns available I felt more comfortable with the knife because: I had some pretty good training courtesy of Uncle Sam; I knew the house well in the dark and a stranger wouldn't; and I felt that in the dark, by the time I got close enough to use the knife, I would have a pretty good idea whether it really was a bad guy or just one of my daughters sneaking in late.

I still routinely carry a knife on some house clearing trips, but the house is way smaller and fairly well illuminated at night (due to streetlights and such) so I also carry my laser sighted night fighter gun as primary - and a VERY bright flashlight (but not on.)
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

orc4hire

Post by orc4hire »

Last edited by orc4hire on Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

KBCraig
Banned

Re: Knife vs gun when it's all you've got.

Post by KBCraig »

HighVelocity wrote:If you know how to use the knife and the BG doesn't know how to use the gun...
Police seek 4 robbery suspectsBy DEANNA BOYD
STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

( . . . )

During the robbery, a victim shoved the armed person, prompting him to begin to push back the slide on his gun.

“He attempted to chamber a round,� Sullivan said. “That’s when the victim was able to retrieve his pocketknife from his pocket and lash out in defense.�
The BG shouldn't watch so many gangsta movies, where you threaten someone by sticking a pistol in their face, and then threaten that you "really mean it!" by racking the slide.

Sounds to me like the knife guy knew a lot more about guns than the gun guy did.

The big downside to knives is that they offer no shock, no instant incapacitation. A walking dead man has plenty of time to kill you several times over.

A knife beats nothing, and I've had one quietly at the low ready (quartered away) more than once while dealing with and assessing likely threats. Never brought one into action or made its presence known, though.

You know how they pick the winner in a knife fight? He's the one in ICU. The loser is in the morgue.

In a knife fight, everyone bleeds. A lot. A non-fatal blood loss is enough to freak most people out, and look like a slaughterhouse to people who've grown up on TV cop shows.

Kevin

Lodge2004

Re: Knife vs gun when it's all you've got.

Post by Lodge2004 »

KBCraig wrote:The BG shouldn't watch so many gangsta movies, where you threaten someone by sticking a pistol in their face, and then threaten that you "really mean it!" by racking the slide.
I sat on the jury for a BG who robbed five adults in their home with a shotgun. He racked the slide several times during the robbery whenever he needed to get their attention. Unfortunately for the victims, they were completely ignorant of firearms and were terrified every time he "made that sound"...never thinking it was probably an empty weapon!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”