work related gun policies..what would you do?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
mrvmax
Posts in topic: 3

work related gun policies..what would you do?

Post by mrvmax »

I work for a chemical company(company B). This company owns two units that they bought from another company (companyA) (these units are within the property of company A). My company now comes out with a policy that states there are to be no wepaons or ammo anywhere (including areas that they do not own within company A),if they are found, the employee can be terminated. They claim they can search our vehicles (even though we park on another companies property- owned by company A). I plan on keeping my handgun in my truck, I have a CHL so I carry it all the time except at work. I figure that they cannot force me to open my vehicle, since they have no legal right (espscially since it on on another companies property. I also figure that if they called the Police, I would make them get a warrant which I assume they would need probable cause for (I'm not sure what I would be doing that would warrant that). I realize that they can fire me for any reason, but I'd rather lose my job than my life. I make call outs around the clock, there's no telling what I may encounter on teh way to or from work. What do you guys think?

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KBCraig »

They can try calling the police, but the police will not search your truck at the company's behest.

They have no authority over private property on a location they don't own. Do have they have an agreement with Company A about parking?

Ownership aside, they can fire you for refusing a search, or they can fire you for having a gun if you allow a search.

Me, I'd open the truck, get in, and tell them I was going home sick as I drove away. Then I'd start looking for another job.

Kevin

yerasimos

Post by yerasimos »

I have to deal with this same equine scat. Get yourself some pepper spray and a nice hefty flashlight, and do not be afraid of driving through a red light or two if something at an intersection appears sketchy. And remember that your truck can be used as a more potent weapon than any gun you own.

Perhaps you may want to check on companyA's policy regarding firearms/ammunition, as you are parking on their property. Keep your eyes open for a copy of companyA's employee handbook, safety booklet, etc, and see what it says on the subject. Also see if you can figure out just how chummy the two companies are, and whether companyA would "blow you in" to companyB/your employer.

Finally, looking for a better job is always a good idea.

G36Packer

Post by G36Packer »

First off I would not break any laws. From what you have described there is no legal reason not to carry.

Then I would decide how important my job is to me. If you can't afford to lose your job, follow the rules. Of course Texas is an at will state, so you could lose your job anyway.

couzin

Post by couzin »

KBCraig wrote:Me, I'd open the truck, get in, and tell them I was going home sick as I drove away. Then I'd start looking for another job.

Kevin
Ditto - BTW - wasn't there some big hooptee in Ok some time back over employees having weapons in their vehicles? What happened there?

Topic author
mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

couzin wrote:
KBCraig wrote:Me, I'd open the truck, get in, and tell them I was going home sick as I drove away. Then I'd start looking for another job.

Kevin
Ditto - BTW - wasn't there some big hooptee in Ok some time back over employees having weapons in their vehicles? What happened there?
The NRA got onvolved in one casse of a guy getting fired. I do not think it helped much, but they were protesting the company after he was fired.

John

Post by John »

That’s a tough one... I think (I believe) that they can fire you, but can't do anything else in a "legal" way as far as having you arrested. Unless they ask you to leave and you do not leave.

I personally, would not seek out any information on company A's policies. Rest assured, they have the same policy.

I run into this a lot as I drive in and out of chemical plants. If I am going (meaning driving) into a plant, I just don't carry that day. If I know I will only be parking in the parking lot, I do carry and leave it in the car. In your case, at night, parking in the lot on a call out, chances are pretty slim that your car will be searched.

It is a different situation for me though, because I am not an employee of said company(s). I am continuously amazed that many of the chemical plants and refineries post a ghost busters sign, but not a proper 30.06 sign. However, I make my living doing business within the fence lines of these places, so I can't afford to be banned if caught. Many of chemical plants do search your vehicle going in or out and sometimes both. There are other reason for not carrying within the fence line such as potential for explosive atmosphere and the like.

Ok I got way off track from your situation (it’s a subject I struggle with a lot)... but I do feel your pain.
JohnC

John

Post by John »

couzin wrote: Ditto - BTW - wasn't there some big hooptee in Ok some time back over employees having weapons in their vehicles? What happened there?
Oklahoma passed a law saying that companies could not ban employees (CHL holders) from keeping guns in their cars. ConocoPhillips successfully challenged the law in court.
JohnC

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

I was under the impression that that case is still not reached its conclusion......I might be wrong.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

John

Post by John »

jbirds1210 wrote:I was under the impression that that case is still not reached its conclusion......I might be wrong.
It could be, but I think Conoco won the first round and it's been elevated. I do not recall for sure though.
JohnC

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

I support you 1000%. I have lost one job over principle & never starved. That aint the only job in the world. Keep it quiet & probably never happen. ;-) There are a few places that you cannot be a full time advocate for the 2A I guess.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Topic author
mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

Thanks for the replies guys

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”