New CHL requirements???

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Mike from Texas
Posts in topic: 1

Re: New CHL requirements???

Post by Mike from Texas »

Many good points brought up here. I do believe that Texas CHL "proficiency" requirements and cost are way over the top. I do believe there needs to be class time on the laws, deescalation, etc, etc....I do not feel there should be a shooting portion required. Our shooting test is not realistic. Standing in a controlled environment shooting at a static target is laughable at best. None of that will matter if we are ever faced with a real need to use our CHL for it's intended purpose. I also do not believe that the test should be "harder"; realistically, how would you make it "harder" without further restricting our right to have one?

Many states do not require any form of anything other than to show you are an upstanding citizen. My brother lives in Mississippi and there is no requirement for shooting or class time. Walk to their version of DPS, have a background check done and if it comes back clean you get your license.
A few Glocks, a few Kahrs, Dan Wesson CBOB 10mm, Dan Wesson CBOB 45ACP, Springer Champion Operator

****************************************************************************************************

Kinetic

Post by Kinetic »

That phone number is in my area (north Dallas suburb)

Keith B
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Keith B »

Kinetic wrote:That phone number is in my area (north Dallas suburb)
Not sure which phone number you mean. If you are referring to the original post with the advertisement in it, numbers can be located almost anywhere now with local number portability and cell phones.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Otto N. Sure
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Otto N. Sure »

Back to the topic about Utah's non resident CHL. Back in the late 90's I went through the hoops and got my Texas CHL. When I moved to Nevada I got my Nevada permit and a Utah non resident permit because it was our next door neighbor and I went there frequently. At that time, Utah did not recognize the Nevada permit.

Now I'm back in Texas. I'm a resident, but my family and home are still in Nevada (until we get the darn house sold..14 months and counting). I drive on my Nevada DL and I have my Nevada CHL for carry purposes as I really don't have a permanent Texas residence.

When we finally get the house sold and buy our home here I will change the address on my Utah CHL and NOT obtain a Texas permit. Why? Because I've passed two states permit classes, attended renewal classes, and I'm done! Since Texas recognizes my Utah permit (not to mention my Nevada permit) I see no reason at all to go through the hoops, pay the exhorbitant fees, wait for months, to exercise a "right" that I already have, as granted by the great states of Utah and Nevada AND recognized by the Lone Star state.

No I am not "gaming" the system. I am following it.

Otto
Otto

Life Member: NRA; Single Action Shooting Society. Forum Moderator: CZForum.com

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 5

Post by sjfcontrol »

Otto N. Sure wrote:Back to the topic about Utah's non resident CHL. Back in the late 90's I went through the hoops and got my Texas CHL. When I moved to Nevada I got my Nevada permit and a Utah non resident permit because it was our next door neighbor and I went there frequently. At that time, Utah did not recognize the Nevada permit.

Now I'm back in Texas. I'm a resident, but my family and home are still in Nevada (until we get the darn house sold..14 months and counting). I drive on my Nevada DL and I have my Nevada CHL for carry purposes as I really don't have a permanent Texas residence.

When we finally get the house sold and buy our home here I will change the address on my Utah CHL and NOT obtain a Texas permit. Why? Because I've passed two states permit classes, attended renewal classes, and I'm done! Since Texas recognizes my Utah permit (not to mention my Nevada permit) I see no reason at all to go through the hoops, pay the exhorbitant fees, wait for months, to exercise a "right" that I already have, as granted by the great states of Utah and Nevada AND recognized by the Lone Star state.

No I am not "gaming" the system. I am following it.

Otto
It is my understanding that if you're carrying on a non-texas permit, you are not exempt from the federal "gun-free" school-zone ban. You could possibly be charged for carrying as you drive by a school.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Otto N. Sure
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Otto N. Sure »

Yep, anything is possible. I, personally, have NEVER heard of anyone ever federally charged with this offense. If you're stopped for a speeding or other infraction in a school zone I highly doubt that the city police officer would then call the feds to charge you with breaking this silly law.

Also, how would the officer even know I am carrying since we are NOT required to disclose this by Texas statute.

Otto
Otto

Life Member: NRA; Single Action Shooting Society. Forum Moderator: CZForum.com

Keith B
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Keith B »

Otto N. Sure wrote:Yep, anything is possible. I, personally, have NEVER heard of anyone ever federally charged with this offense. If you're stopped for a speeding or other infraction in a school zone I highly doubt that the city police officer would then call the feds to charge you with breaking this silly law.

Also, how would the officer even know I am carrying since we are NOT required to disclose this by Texas statute.

Otto
Actaully, you ARE required to disclose to a LEO in Texas when carrying under the authority of any recognized CHL. Only the penalty for not showing your CHL was removed.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 5

Post by sjfcontrol »

Otto N. Sure wrote:Yep, anything is possible. I, personally, have NEVER heard of anyone ever federally charged with this offense. If you're stopped for a speeding or other infraction in a school zone I highly doubt that the city police officer would then call the feds to charge you with breaking this silly law.

Otto
Also, it is usually a "add-on" charge, after you've been stopped for something else. Like maybe talking on a cell phone or some other heinous deed.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 9

Post by seamusTX »

Otto N. Sure wrote:Yep, anything is possible. I, personally, have NEVER heard of anyone ever federally charged with this offense.
People have been charge with carrying a weapon in a school zone, but only in combination with real crimes like assault or burglary.

The feds know that if it were appealed, the Fifth Circuit or Supreme Court would likely overturn it.

- Jim

bizarrenormality

Post by bizarrenormality »

sjfcontrol wrote:It is my understanding that if you're carrying on a non-texas permit, you are not exempt from the federal "gun-free" school-zone ban. You could possibly be charged for carrying as you drive by a school.
It's my understanding the federal ban only applies to gun dealers engaged in interstate commerce.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

bizarrenormality wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:It is my understanding that if you're carrying on a non-texas permit, you are not exempt from the federal "gun-free" school-zone ban. You could possibly be charged for carrying as you drive by a school.
It's my understanding the federal ban only applies to gun dealers engaged in interstate commerce.
Sorry, this is incorrect. It applies to everyone, subject to limited exceptions.

Chas.

casingpoint

Post by casingpoint »

My brother lives in Mississippi and there is no requirement for shooting or class time. Walk to their version of DPS, have a background check done and if it comes back clean you get your license.
That sounds like the kind of "reasonable regulation" Scalia wrote of in Heller.

Marty Graw

Post by Marty Graw »

Make sure you're not a felon or other prohibited person and give you the card. It should be as simple as NICS.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”