Observations of a new licensee

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

onerifle
Posts in topic: 1

Post by onerifle »

This probably deserves its own thread- but in New York all is not as it would seem. I wouldn't count on H.R. 218 being honored in NY State, much less NYC.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.p ... t=york+218
"A man who asks is a fool for five minutes- a man who does not ask is a fool forever."

GlockenHammer

Post by GlockenHammer »

One other thing you'll notice with time is your attitudes and actions towards jerks and other minor skirmishes. Now that you're armed, things are a lot more serious and, I'll bet, you'll be more polite. No longer can you lose your temper and get into a scuffle with a jerk badmouthing your wife. You'll turn and politely leave while he curses you both. You'll learn and practice the skills of de-escalation. It's not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength and responsibility. Your power (gun) is for a higher purpose. One you don't ask for, but are positioned to deal with. I know I have been much calmer and more peaceful since I've started carrying.

An armed society is a polite society.

BobCat

The three Ds

Post by BobCat »

GlockenHammer,

You are right. Someone once told me to think:
De-escalate, Disengage, and Disappear.

Someone else has a .sig line that says something like, "You can carry a gun, or you can have a temper. You can't do both."

It can be hard to not-answer, and just walk away - but think about the possible consequences of "standing up for yourself" to a simple verbal insult!

Regards,
Andrew
Retractable claws; the *original* concealed carry

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

One of the best one-liners on this issue came from my first CHL instructor in 1996. "If you carry a gun, you'd better learn to eat a lot of crow, or you'll be shooting a lot of people."

Chas.

HighVelocity
Posts in topic: 2

Post by HighVelocity »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:One of the best one-liners on this issue came from my first CHL instructor in 1996. "If you carry a gun, you'd better learn to eat a lot of crow, or you'll be shooting a lot of people."

Chas.
Strange, I heard John Wayne's voice as I read that.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”