Your own land

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 2

Post by seamusTX »

My reading of PC §46.15 is that you can have a recreational shooting event on your own property, as long as it is otherwise legal to shoot there.

A friend lets Mrs. Casey and me shoot on his property, and we do so frequently (5 or 10 times a month). We have never drawn attention from the neighbors or police.

Having guests at a back-yard barbeque in Austin or Dallas packing pistols would probably draw police attention. IMHO, it should be legal, but in the current situation it could get you a free ride to the station on charges of disorderly conduct.

- Jim

Syntax360
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Syntax360 »

I'm definitely not a lawyer, but if it's worth anything, I'm about positive you summed it up correctly. :smile:

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 2

Post by seamusTX »

The way PC §46.02 is written, no. They have to qualify for one of the exceptions.

I still am not a lawyer.

- Jim

Rugrash
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Rugrash »

My friend's family has about 200 acres in Columbus (near Hatterman Ln) and we open carry and shoot all day long. One of the main reasons for carrying is for protection from feral hogs. A guy that keeps his cows on the property was run up a tree by a big female hog one afternoon. He simply asked for permission to carry on the property whenever he's there. Those things have overrun the area.

-Rug

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”