CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 9

New online CHL application & procedures

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Here is an update on changes to the application process.

People applying for their first CHL can either apply online, or they can use packets their instructors may have in class. I say "may" because they are not required to have packets. As you will see below, I strongly recommend that everyone use the online application. If you are renewing a CHL, you must use the online process.

Initial applications for first-time licensees:

Applicants for a NEW CHL (not a renewal), will be provided a checklist of any required supplemental documents (ex. CHL-100, fingerprints, photos, DD-214, criminal history disposition documents, etc.) that need to be provided. Since the application itself is completely online (except for supplemental docs that the applicant must provide) DPS will not be mailing anything to applicants.

Renewal applications:

Applicants who apply online for renewal will be presented with a checklist that includes any supplemental items they need to send to DPS to process their renewal. As most folks already know, DPS no longer requires photos (for in-state applicants) or fingerprints for any applicant on renewal, so for the majority of applicants they will only be sending in the CHL-100—and then only if they are in a renewal period that requires them to take the renewal course.

WARNING ABOUT PAPER APPLICATIONS:

If applicants send in a paper application but want to get digital fingerprints from FAST/L-1, they must take the CHL class, submit their application to DPS and wait to schedule their fingerprint appointment until AFTER they receive a confirmation from DPS. They cannot schedule with FAST/L1 until they are in DPS's system so that FAST/L1 knows they are a CHL applicant.

All L-1 a/k/a FAST locations are now doing fingerprints for CHL applications:

It was previously reported that some FAST locations were not doing fingerprints for CHL applicants. This has changed and every FAST/L-1 location is doing prints for CHL's

This is the latest information from DPS and it's a much better process. Prior to May 1st, I used to recommend using the online application for an initial application only if you had at least 21 to 30 days before you were scheduled to take the class. This was intended to make sure the applicant got the DPS packet prior to class day. Obviously, this changed on May 1st.

Good job DPS!
Chas.

mikeloc
Posts in topic: 1

Re: New online CHL application & procedures

Post by mikeloc »

Is there a charge at the time for the FAST/L-1 fingerprints when the applicate fills out his application online (or does he pay for them at FAST/L1), and is the applicate required to use FAST/L-1 fingerprints.

Thanks,

Mike L

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

mikeloc wrote:Is there a charge at the time for the FAST/L-1 fingerprints when the applicate fills out his application online (or does he pay for them at FAST/L1), and is the applicate required to use FAST/L-1 fingerprints.

Thanks,

Mike L
DPS does not collect a fee for the digital fingerprints. I don't know if the fees vary by the different franchises, and the only fee I've heard is $9.95.

Chas.

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 2

Post by baldeagle »

mikeloc wrote:Is there a charge at the time for the FAST/L-1 fingerprints when the applicate fills out his application online (or does he pay for them at FAST/L1), and is the applicate required to use FAST/L-1 fingerprints.

Thanks,

Mike L
I paid FAST/L1 for mine. You're not required to have FAST do them, but according to the state FAST prints are acceptable 98% of the time whereas "old style" fingerprints are only good about 78% of the time. I've had mine done both ways, but I chose FAST for my CHL because I didn't want anything to delay the process.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Charles, according to DPS we're supposed to be able to check our application progress online. I may be too anxious, but when I check for mine, there's no link except to apply for an instructor's permit. Do I have to wait for the state to send me something before I can track its progress online?
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

budroux2w

Post by budroux2w »

baldeagle wrote:Charles, according to DPS we're supposed to be able to check our application progress online. I may be too anxious, but when I check for mine, there's no link except to apply for an instructor's permit. Do I have to wait for the state to send me something before I can track its progress online?
Mine is showing the same thing, from what I have heard/read it takes a couple of weeks for the status to show up on the website.
NRA Life Member

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

budroux2w wrote:couple of weeks for the status to show up on the website.
Yep, it will drive you nuts, but checking during the 1st 2 - 3 weeks is useless.
even once they "start processing" at least so it shows online, basically if all is good, it is 30-40 days from from DPS receiving until you get plastic.

If something is wrong, you will get a letter explaining that as well.
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

fire128

Post by fire128 »

Im not one to complain to much, but I just fuddled through trying to follow the instructions I was sent to do an online renewal. To say I am flustered is putting it mildly. First off the letter I was sent gives misleading information as to the website layout and what to look for. After finding my way around and finding the online renewal link, I completed the application and made my payment via credit card as requested at which time I printed out my receipt and the online applicationn which stated I would need the CHL-100 Training form along with the checklist I had printed. I then visited the website that was supplied to retrieve the form only to find every attempt to download the form was met with a request stating it was password protected. Thinking this was where my supplied pin number was to be used (the letter stated I would need to enter my PIN before utilizing the online services) it was input, only to be denied access to the form. So at this point in time I have paid my renewal fee and now just need to some how get the proper forms so I can take my renewal course. Oh well, I will check back to the website in a day or two to see if I can access the form, and if not then I will have to call and see how to get the proper forms. Anyone else have these issue's or is it just my normal run a bad luck with computers.

KWW :banghead: :banghead:

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

fire128 wrote:Im not one to complain to much, but I just fuddled through trying to follow the instructions I was sent to do an online renewal. To say I am flustered is putting it mildly. First off the letter I was sent gives misleading information as to the website layout and what to look for. After finding my way around and finding the online renewal link, I completed the application and made my payment via credit card as requested at which time I printed out my receipt and the online applicationn which stated I would need the CHL-100 Training form along with the checklist I had printed. I then visited the website that was supplied to retrieve the form only to find every attempt to download the form was met with a request stating it was password protected. Thinking this was where my supplied pin number was to be used (the letter stated I would need to enter my PIN before utilizing the online services) it was input, only to be denied access to the form. So at this point in time I have paid my renewal fee and now just need to some how get the proper forms so I can take my renewal course. Oh well, I will check back to the website in a day or two to see if I can access the form, and if not then I will have to call and see how to get the proper forms. Anyone else have these issue's or is it just my normal run a bad luck with computers.

KWW :banghead: :banghead:
Only CHL Instructors have access to the CHL-100 forms. Your instructor will provide the forum when you successfully complete the class.

Chas.

fire128

Post by fire128 »

Thank you for the reply, I was sure I was doing something wrong! The renewal letter was misleading on a few accounts and that had me goiung in circles! So am I correct in that all I will need according to my reciept is the checklist and the CHL-100 training form? The page that printed out has a large barcode and statement saying required forms, Checklist (this page) and CHL-100 training form.

KWW

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

fire128 wrote:Thank you for the reply, I was sure I was doing something wrong! The renewal letter was misleading on a few accounts and that had me goiung in circles! So am I correct in that all I will need according to my reciept is the checklist and the CHL-100 training form? The page that printed out has a large barcode and statement saying required forms, Checklist (this page) and CHL-100 training form.

KWW
Yup thats it !!!
No Affidavit s
No Fingerprint cards..
No Passport photos
Just that checklist with the big honkin bar code. and the form provided by the instructor..
Pretty kewl!!

The renewell letter was telling you how to do it the old way ..
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

xdtom40

Post by xdtom40 »

Since I had received my renewal packet last year and paid the renewal fee, then I NOW only need to send back the forms and no fingerprints and photos are needed? Take the class, mail back the forms and that is it? Thanks for your help! I wish I could have done the online renewal, but that was before it was available.

jester

Post by jester »

Is there an option to send a new photo if your appearance has changed significantly?
"There is but one correct answer...and it is best delivered with a Winchester rifle."

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

xdtom40 wrote:Since I had received my renewal packet last year and paid the renewal fee, then I NOW only need to send back the forms and no fingerprints and photos are needed? Take the class, mail back the forms and that is it?
That's correct.

Chas.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

jester wrote:Is there an option to send a new photo if your appearance has changed significantly?
I don't really know, but just download the photoholder (link below) from the DPS website and send in new photos. They may or may not use them, but if you include a cover letter explaining that you sent the photos since your appearance has changed significantly, that should increase the likelihood they will use it.

Chas.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/chl-6.pdf

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”