CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 11

Re: New online CHL application & procedures

Post by sjfcontrol »

Glockster wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:
jrene wrote:I just applied for a CHL and the application checklist says that "all items listed above" [which includes the CHL-100] may be submitted by secured email to the DPS Regulatory Services Division. Does someone believe that the CHL-100 may NOT be submitted this way? if so it directly contradicts the application checklist instructions. Thanks for any info.
The CHL-100 may be sent along with any other required documents. By the way, it's NOT email. It's done thru this site...

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/contact/chl.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A comment and two questions:
- I started my application last week and in my receipt email they had an email link to return documents to, or I could do it on the site

- after fingerprint the tech said that I still needed to send in a copy of their form (the one that I brought to the appointment). I don't see that on the DPS checklist?

- need to send in my CHL-100 and DD-214. Do I send those as one combined PDF document or does their system play better with multiple documents?
Their system can handle multiple files. If you have it as a single file, I would think that would work, too. Can't comment about the fingerprint form, but if you have it, why not send it? Send everything, and let them sort it out.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Glockster
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Glockster »

sjfcontrol wrote:
Glockster wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:
jrene wrote:I just applied for a CHL and the application checklist says that "all items listed above" [which includes the CHL-100] may be submitted by secured email to the DPS Regulatory Services Division. Does someone believe that the CHL-100 may NOT be submitted this way? if so it directly contradicts the application checklist instructions. Thanks for any info.
The CHL-100 may be sent along with any other required documents. By the way, it's NOT email. It's done thru this site...

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/contact/chl.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A comment and two questions:
- I started my application last week and in my receipt email they had an email link to return documents to, or I could do it on the site

- after fingerprint the tech said that I still needed to send in a copy of their form (the one that I brought to the appointment). I don't see that on the DPS checklist?

- need to send in my CHL-100 and DD-214. Do I send those as one combined PDF document or does their system play better with multiple documents?
Their system can handle multiple files. If you have it as a single file, I would think that would work, too. Can't comment about the fingerprint form, but if you have it, why not send it? Send everything, and let them sort it out.
I was able to send them in one large file, was worried about file size since they didn't list any maximum. I **assume** that it all was received, and when I went to log in there was no longer any option for submitting a CHL application. Would have felt better if there was a acknowledgement of receipt of the files and assume I have to check back to see if there is any status posted.
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

timsatx
Posts in topic: 5

Post by timsatx »

I just realized that I have to renew my license. I don't remember having seen a letter from them but that doesn't mean I didn't get it. Sometimes my wife puts the mail someplace and never tells me I got it.

That said, as I understand it for renewals I only need to send in my CH-77 and for the Honorably Discharged Veteran exemption I would guess I need to send that document in too although the CH-77 never mentions that. As far as the CHL-100, from what I read on their website I do not need to send it in. with regards to the CHL-100 it says:
Per HB 48 (83rd Legislature), continuing education is no longer required for CHL renewal. CHL holders will simply apply online and submit the supporting documents for discounted fees or special conditions. NOTE: At this time, the receipt page (CHL checklist) will still indicate a CHL-100 is required. Programming required to remove this language is underway; until the “check list” is updated, applicants may disregard the statement requiring a CHL-100.
Does this seem to be about right? According to their for it says:
Submission Options
Email at http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/contact/default.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, select Concealed Handgun and complete the form.
From their I would go to the drop down list until I get to the supporting document list and add the CH-77 and a copy of my DD-214. Is that correct? After that how would I go about paying for it as I am sure they need to review it before giving me the reduced fee?

Tim

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

Just go here...

https://txapps.texas.gov/txapp/txdps/chl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sign in, select renew, follow instructions. Pay online fee.
No class or shooting or fingerprints or pictures needed (usually).

Easy-Peasy.

No need to fill out paper forms.
Never Forget. Image

timsatx

Post by timsatx »

So how does the system determine a regular renewal vs a renewal with Honorably Discharged Veteran and charge accordingly?

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

timsatx wrote:So how does the system determine a regular renewal vs a renewal with Honorably Discharged Veteran and charge accordingly?
Was your previous license discounted? Then they already have the proof.

Otherwise, I don't know for sure, but it's possible they ask if any discounts apply, then let you know what proof is needed.
Never Forget. Image

timsatx

Post by timsatx »

No, not previously discounted. I didn't even know about it previously.

timsatx

Post by timsatx »

Just an FYI. I did the renewal process including sending in my supporting document (electronically) for a honorably discharged veteran. Yesterday I received a letter asking me to send in a copy of my DD-214 so they could approve it. In other words it appears that they did not get the supporting document I sent in. I have sent in a request for verification that I in fact need to send in this document.

tbryanh

Post by tbryanh »

Is there a place in Houston that will do fingerprints/live scan on the weekend?

I found identogo, but I cannot determine from their website if they do prints/scans on the weekend.

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Crossfire »

Locations and office hours:

http://www.l1enrollment.com/locations/?st=tx

Looks like Houston has several locations with Saturday hours.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

tbryanh

Post by tbryanh »

Crossfire wrote:Locations and office hours:

http://www.l1enrollment.com/locations/?st=tx

Looks like Houston has several locations with Saturday hours.
Great. Appreciate the help.

Step-up-1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Step-up-1 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Here is an update on changes to the application process.

People applying for their first CHL can either apply online, or they can use packets their instructors may have in class. I say "may" because they are not required to have packets. As you will see below, I strongly recommend that everyone use the online application. If you are renewing a CHL, you must use the online process.

Initial applications for first-time licensees:

Applicants for a NEW CHL (not a renewal), will be provided a checklist of any required supplemental documents (ex. CHL-100, fingerprints, photos, DD-214, criminal history disposition documents, etc.) that need to be provided. Since the application itself is completely online (except for supplemental docs that the applicant must provide) DPS will not be mailing anything to applicants.

Renewal applications:

Applicants who apply online for renewal will be presented with a checklist that includes any supplemental items they need to send to DPS to process their renewal. As most folks already know, DPS no longer requires photos (for in-state applicants) or fingerprints for any applicant on renewal, so for the majority of applicants they will only be sending in the CHL-100—and then only if they are in a renewal period that requires them to take the renewal course.

WARNING ABOUT PAPER APPLICATIONS:

If applicants send in a paper application but want to get digital fingerprints from FAST/L-1, they must take the CHL class, submit their application to DPS and wait to schedule their fingerprint appointment until AFTER they receive a confirmation from DPS. They cannot schedule with FAST/L1 until they are in DPS's system so that FAST/L1 knows they are a CHL applicant.

All L-1 a/k/a FAST locations are now doing fingerprints for CHL applications:

It was previously reported that some FAST locations were not doing fingerprints for CHL applicants. This has changed and every FAST/L-1 location is doing prints for CHL's

This is the latest information from DPS and it's a much better process. Prior to May 1st, I used to recommend using the online application for an initial application only if you had at least 21 to 30 days before you were scheduled to take the class. This was intended to make sure the applicant got the DPS packet prior to class day. Obviously, this changed on May 1st.

Good job DPS!
Chas.

I have completed the finger print deal when I received my Texas Insurance Adjuster license. Do I need to do it again for my CHL?

gdanaher
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gdanaher »

Yes. Seems silly but yes, you need to make an appointment and get them done again.

GlassG19
Posts in topic: 15

Post by GlassG19 »

New CHL APPLICATION,
I filled out the application where it you can "log off" & come back later?? , do I have to fill out the off file application too? It seem like to me you would be sending an application twice?? I'm sorry for little ignorance but I'm very new at this CHL application process. Can someone tell me if I have to do the first application & then after I get CHL-100 & fingerprints and then fill the PDFs file application in also? Please just say yes both or no the first only.
Thank you for your kind patience.
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"- George Washington

tbryanh

Post by tbryanh »

GlassG19 wrote:New CHL APPLICATION,
I filled out the application where it you can "log off" & come back later?? , do I have to fill out the off file application too? It seem like to me you would be sending an application twice?? I'm sorry for little ignorance but I'm very new at this CHL application process. Can someone tell me if I have to do the first application & then after I get CHL-100 & fingerprints and then fill the PDFs file application in also? Please just say yes both or no the first only.
Thank you for your kind patience.
APPLICATION
Login here to do the online application: https://txapps.texas.gov/txapp/txdps/chl/ No documents are submitted during this process. Just put entries into fields and then submit when complete. You will then be able to print out a page with info about your application. Print this out for your records.

FINGERPRINTS
After completing the application, you will be given the option to schedule an appointment for fingerprints from a third party (IdentoGO). It is convenient to take advantage of this option, but if you choose not to, you can contact IdentoGO later to schedule an appointment. Fingerprints are done electronically and will be sent to DPS by the fingerprinting company.

CHECKING STATUS OF APPLICATION
Once your application is approved, you can login to renew your license, update your address, etc. While your application is being processed, you can still login, but you will not be given options to renew, update address etc. Alot of applicants login to see if they have the options to renew, update address, etc yet. It is the earliest sign that the application is approved and that the CHL (LTC) card will be in the mail soon.

SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS
After you apply, submit supporting documents here: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/contact/default.aspx Supporting documents include the CHL (LTC) course completion document and whatever else is needed. Depending on the particular person and their background, documents such as birth certificate (if foreign born), green card, court records (if their is an arrest record), etc. might be needed.

CONFIRMATION EMAIL
A few days after submitting supporting documents, you will receive a confirmation email from DPS letting you know they received the documents.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”