CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

hillfighter
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: New online CHL application & procedures

Post by hillfighter »

Acceptable ID for what?
"support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic"

RX8er

Post by RX8er »

1waltherman wrote:
Rothenberger TWIC.jpg
hi, I'm new here.. I have a federal TWIC card, with electronic fingerprints and background check, that is current.. Too bad that it's not on the list of acceptable ID's.. So I am scheduled to do the FAST fingerprints on 2-28-13, and am anxious to get the paperwork sent in..I am a former Texas Peace Officer, and decided to get the CHL, with the current political mess that we have.
Nice informative forum,
thanks
Fair is fair.......

Some TSA workers won't accept a CHL as a valid ID.

Welcome to the group. The guys around here run a clean tight ship and there is much information.

:cheers2:
Final Shot offers Firearms / FFL Transfers / CHL Instruction. Please like our Facebook Page.
If guns kill people, do pens misspell words?
I like options: Sig Sauer | DPMS | Springfield Armory | Glock | Beretta

Locksmith
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Locksmith »

I am concerned...

I understand the new law will take effect September 1, 2013.

That is going to be exactly "15 days" before my license expires!!!

Will I have time to successfully renew before my license expires?

Will I have to worry about not being able to carry while waiting for my renewal to go into effect?

Should I take a class to avoid this problem even though I shouldn't have to?

I am worried because I do not go anywhere unarmed ever.

Thanks

jmra
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jmra »

Locksmith wrote:I am concerned...

I understand the new law will take effect September 1, 2013.

That is going to be exactly "15 days" before my license expires!!!

Will I have time to successfully renew before my license expires?

Will I have to worry about not being able to carry while waiting for my renewal to go into effect?

Should I take a class to avoid this problem even though I shouldn't have to?

I am worried because I do not go anywhere unarmed ever.

Thanks
I would take the class now. My CHL was set to expire Sep 2. I took the class with my wife in Dec and submitted online 3/25. Plastic in hand 5/2. Wouldn't think you would get it back in less than 2 weeks.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Locksmith

Post by Locksmith »

Thanks.

I decided to just get my Utah license right away and wait till September to process my Texas renewal online. There is no shooting required for Utah so I will save some ammo and some money too and pick up a couple more states, not that I ever plan on leaving Texas. I will just carry on my Utah till my Texas is finished processing.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

My crystal ball is in the shop, so I'm just speculating now.

When the new CHL provisions go into effect on Sept. 1st, I expect to see an onslaught of new and renewal applications hitting the DPS office in Austin. I believe a lot of people who have not previously gotten their CHL because of the 10 hr. course requirement will do so as soon as the law changes. I believe many people who planned to get this first CHL during the summer will hold off until Sept. 1st. I also believe that many CHLs with licenses expiring after Sept. 1st will delay renewing until the new laws go into effect.

Applications are already pouring in at record rates that double or triple the pre-Obama Rush rate. All of these factors are likely to lead to a workload on DPS that will make it impossible to meet the 60/45 day time limit. If time is of the essence in getting that first CHL, or renewing before expiration, then people need to consider whether delaying until Sept. 1st is a good plan.

Chas.

maxpower

Post by maxpower »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:My crystal ball is in the shop, so I'm just speculating now.

When the new CHL provisions go into effect on Sept. 1st, I expect to see an onslaught of new and renewal applications hitting the DPS office in Austin. I believe a lot of people who have not previously gotten their CHL because of the 10 hr. course requirement will do so as soon as the law changes. I believe many people who planned to get this first CHL during the summer will hold off until Sept. 1st. I also believe that many CHLs with licenses expiring after Sept. 1st will delay renewing until the new laws go into effect.

Applications are already pouring in at record rates that double or triple the pre-Obama Rush rate. All of these factors are likely to lead to a workload on DPS that will make it impossible to meet the 60/45 day time limit. If time is of the essence in getting that first CHL, or renewing before expiration, then people need to consider whether delaying until Sept. 1st is a good plan.

Chas.
Charles,

I agree that there will be an onslaught of new/renewal applications 9/1 but I have decided to save the $100 and 5 hours for my renewal and wait for September 1 to renew. My CHL expires 10/6/13 and I would not expect to have my new CHL by then but can live with it. I will still have my carry gun in my car, it will just stay there until I receive my new license.

Thanks for your efforts on this forum.

android

Post by android »

My original license was done with paper fingerprints.

I just did my renewal and it said they would try to reuse my photo and fingerprints but would ask for more if "they didn't meet current requirements" or some such thing.

Does that mean they are going to ask me for a set of electronic prints?

My expiration is Jan 2014, so I'm not too worried about expiriation. I just wonder if this is going to be an added expense.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Keith B »

android wrote:My original license was done with paper fingerprints.

I just did my renewal and it said they would try to reuse my photo and fingerprints but would ask for more if "they didn't meet current requirements" or some such thing.

My expiration is Jan 2014, so I'm not too worried about expiriation. I just wonder if this is going to be an added expense.
Did you do your renewal on or after Sept 1? If so, then they may not ask for prints as they no longer require them. If you did it before Sept 1, then I will bet for sure they ask for them to be submitted electronically.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

android

Post by android »

Keith B wrote:
android wrote:My original license was done with paper fingerprints.

Did you do your renewal on or after Sept 1? If so, then they may not ask for prints as they no longer require them. If you did it before Sept 1, then I will bet for sure they ask for them to be submitted electronically.

Sept 3rd. The checklist said prints. I knew the exam was not supposed to be on it, but didn't realize prints were wrong also.

Thanks!
Andy

stormbringerr

Post by stormbringerr »

i renewed online after 9-1-13 the dps website has not been redone to go alonge w/the new laws its a confusing mess.i cant believe it wasent ready for a new interface after sept.1 sheeeees :nono:
later, Stormbringerr

Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you.
Carl Jung

5thGenTexan

Post by 5thGenTexan »

Just renewed mine, tonite are they serious about having to mail back that checklist when there is NOTHING to submit besides it for a renewal?
5th Generation Texan
"Republicrats and Demicans, it ain't no surprise,
Got their hands full of gimme, they got their mouths full of lies."

jmra
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jmra »

5thGenTexan wrote:Just renewed mine, tonite are they serious about having to mail back that checklist when there is NOTHING to submit besides it for a renewal?
You can email it.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

ralewis

Post by ralewis »

I did the online renewal about 3 weeks ago. We don't actually have to send in checklist do we? Seems there is nothing required beyond the online renewal paperwork and $$.

My status hasn't been updated since I submitted, so I am a little concerned there is something that has to be actually sent in.

05kas05

Post by 05kas05 »

i just renewed my chl online and my checklist does say to mail or email it with all other items listed my checklist does not have any other items listed on it so i was going to just email the checklist to dps as it states but there is no email address. so i guess i will just send it in if needed can anyone confirm that we actually have to send in the checklist in order for the process to start?

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”