I'm Packing Heat!!!!!

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Suckhow
Posts in topic: 2

I'm Packing Heat!!!!!

Post by Suckhow »

Mr Mailman finally showed up and he brought me a present!!! I was resigned to the fact that I'd have to wait another 2 weeks for delivery, but to my surprise, IT'S HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It only took a measly 110 days, BUT I HAVE IT NOW!!!!

One question though, what does "VCS Article 4413 (29EE) on the back mean? Is it some sort of restriction?

onerifle
Posts in topic: 1

Post by onerifle »

Congratulations.

Texas Concealed Hand Gun Law
LAWS RELATING TO THE CARRYING OF A CONCEALED HANDGUN IN TEXAS - Vernon's Civil Statutes Art. 4413(29ee). LICENSE TO CARRY A CONCEALED HANDGUN

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administra ... newlaw.htm
"A man who asks is a fool for five minutes- a man who does not ask is a fool forever."

sensei

Post by sensei »

Oh Man! EVERYBODY OFF THE STREETS!!! Crazy man with a gun on the loose. (and legally, too)

Just kidding of course.

Congratulations,

sensei

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

God help us all! j/k Congrats, good luck and be safe. You must conceal as many firearms as possible and go to Walmart for ammo immediately. :lol:

ElGato

Post by ElGato »

Don't forget your trench coat and terminater glasses!
Tomcat
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

HighVelocity wrote:You must conceal as many firearms as possible and go to Walmart for ammo immediately. :lol:
Now that's funny! :lol:

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

Oh Man! EVERYBODY OFF THE STREETS!!! Crazy man with a gun on the loose. (and legally, too)
I'll second that!

Congrats.

Topic author
Suckhow

Post by Suckhow »

Well, I just got home from a night of drinkin' it up and getting liquored up with the guys at my local country bar while packing. Lemmie tell you something, it was something else. I was just waiting for someone to mouth off to me so I could cap their ass.

Just kidding. Really, I went to a nice dinner with my girlfriend and then to a movie (The Interpreter; ***actually a decent movie that I was dragged to***). I have to tell you, I need to get used to this. I am not a particularly large person (160 lbs, 5'10") and that pistol wasn't the most comfortable thing. I was carrying a Kimber Ultra CDP II in the small of my back in a Galco IWB, and during the middle of the movie, I had to go to the restroom and move the holster to the front to get more comfortable. No such luck. It still didn't feel all that great. Do I need to find a different pistol to carry, or does this just take some getting used to?

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

sell it to me :)

Maybe a strong side IWB, I hear lots about Milt Sparks. OWB is always more comfortable but less concealable. As a college student, I generally wear t shirts and....t shirts. All I have as a holster is that fobus paddle, Strong Side OWB, and it can hang slightly below the tip of a shirt sometimes but generally it does ok.

That said, back to your Kimber UC, I had a roommate that had the galco IWB that was a paddle for his, with a notch to go at the bottom of the belt. He could move it front or back and he was comfy. About your size of a guy.

Always could go with smartcarry as a default option?

-nick

PS - looks like my uncle will make it to the gunshow possibly!
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

SOB, is the most uncomfortable and dangerous carry option out there IMHO. Uncomfortable because you can't sit, dangerous because if you fall backward you have this chunk of steel over your spine to fall on. Ouch!!! :shock:

I find OWB strong side at 4 o'clock to be most comfortable with IWB same location to be next. It takes some getting used to and a collection of holsters until you find your perfect one.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

MoJo wrote:SOB, is the most uncomfortable and dangerous carry option out there IMHO.
Slight disagreement. I find SOB to be the most comfortable for "carrying"; that is, walking and moving about. But it is unhandy for sitting on hard furniture, and you have to adjust the angle of your car seat just as if you had a lumbar pillow.

I've always thought the "falling on your spine" argument to be a bit too silly. Falling on your gun will hurt, no matter where it is.
I find OWB strong side at 4 o'clock to be most comfortable with IWB same location to be next. It takes some getting used to and a collection of holsters until you find your perfect one.
Here we're in complete agreement, on both positioning and equipment.

When I started carrying full-time, I had to face some realities. First, my wardrobe. I had to be realistic about what actually fits me, plus allow extra space for a handgun. Like many here, hitting 40 wasn't kind to my body. I can't dress like I'm 20 any more. (Actually, I can't dress like I did when I was 20, but I can dress like today's 20-year-olds. Read on to understand... )

IWB versus OWB makes a difference. IWB requires more room in your waistline, and you really need some sort of t-shirt or underclothing between you and your gun, unless your holster keeps the pointy parts from jabbing your epidermis.

OWB also requires a good stiff belt. You can get away with a limp braided belt when carrying IWB (I often do). But carry the same holster between pants and a limp braided belt, and it will flop about like a headless chicken.

While thinking of clothing, you might want to rethink style. You have to have a cover garment of some sort. Instead of trying to wear what I've always worn (jeans and t-shirt), and draping some horrible cliche on top of it like a "photojournalist vest" (even though I used to be a photojournalist), I prefer to switch to a more modern look: baggier pants, a heavy belt, and a "club shirt" (aka, "bowling shirt") worn unbuttoned over a plain T. Conversely, it's easy to step up a notch in style and wear slacks and a sport jacket. That also makes OWB carry easier.

Other things to think about: where do you carry all your other, non-gun stuff? I have always carried my wallet in my right rear; keys in right front; change and pocket knife in left front; and comb and checkbook in left rear. Pocket gun? My pockets are full!

One option is going with current fashion and slightly baggy cargo pants. You don't have to sag and drag; you can actually buy them to fit, but they will feel a bit funny if you're of my generation and accustomed to tighter clothes.

Another option is re-arranging all your "stuff", to allow a free pocket for that P3AT or Tomcat you want to carry when you can't carry a gun.

Lots of stuff to think about. Carrying really does change your world, but it gets easier.

Kevin

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

KBCraig:

Good observations and tips.

I'm fortunate in that my dress has not had to change all that much. My mid section had been a bit of an over achiever. Consequently I don't wear clothing that fits like a second skin.

The tip about cargo pants and shorts is a very good one. They have been a part of my regular dress for way more years then I have been carrying a gun and are useful in so many ways.

ghentry

Post by ghentry »

If you haven't already heard it... carrying is supposed to comforting, not comfortable .

No matter what you do, carrying a gun of any decent size will not be comfortable at first. Once you get used to the extra weight and make adjustments to your wardrobe accordingly (pants sized right, good belt) it will get better. The only thing I've ever found "comfortable" is OWB, but there was no way I could keep from printing a large bulge on my hip.

Once you try a few different guns, different holsters and carry positions, you will find one that is reasonably comfortable. When I went to carrying at 3 o'clock, it made things much more comfortable sitting down. However, it also took up more room in the waistband versus 4:30 which made my pants tighter, so it's all give and take.

Sidenote: Does everyone here always seem to be inbetween belt holes? Hole #3 is too lose and #4 cuts into my hips *sigh)

stevie_d_64

If he can...

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
HighVelocity wrote:You must conceal as many firearms as possible and go to Walmart for ammo immediately. :lol:
Now that's funny! :lol:
If he can conceal every piece of hardware he owns...All at the same time...

I'll buy him a steak dinner...

I bet he'll buy a Glock after that as well...hehehe
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”