blurry sights?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
BobCat
Posts in topic: 5

blurry sights?

Post by BobCat »

At the range, I wear "computer" or mid-range eyeglasses that allow me to see the front sight fairly well.

My bifocals (progressive) do not allow me to see the front sight unless I tip my head way back and look through the "reading" part.

Usually, I tell myself that if I *need* to shoot in "real life," either it will be close, so fuzzy sights will be ok; or it will be far enough away that there will be time to push glasses to forehead and shoot bare-eyes (can see sights ok that way).

Been thinking of asking optometrist - next new glasses time - to put the "reading" part of strong-side lens higher in the lens than normal - might have to explain the reason. And not certain it would help.

Do any of you (other) old guys have any tips? Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Andrew
Retractable claws; the *original* concealed carry

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 2

I had the Lasik surgery...

Post by stevie_d_64 »

...back in 2000...

It was a tremendous change for me as I had worn glasses since the 6th grade...

Ever seen a grown man cry after they can see after that long a time with glasses???

I would say that that could be an option for you in any situation...

Make sure you are interested, to go with Dr. Yankolove (yes, thats for real...), If I swear by his system, you can take that to the bank...

Make sure you mention to him that you want him to know that one of the activities you partake in is the shooting "sports"...And if he could take that into account during the qualifying and measurement phase of the procedure...

Make sure you have your "dominate eye" corrected to 20/20 or better...He'll consider adjusting the other eye to a lesser correction to take care of the other vision you'll need as well...

Never fear, this was done for me, and you vision "fares" out to where you'll not know the difference, and the shooting and sight picture you need will definitely be a welcome surprise...

I'm only saying this because I don't plan on going back to glasses anytime soon...

His office will work with you on financing (if that is an issue), I got my eyes done at the same time, and got away with about $2600 for the whole package...

To me it was worth it...

email me or PM me for more info if you're interested...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Bobcat:
On the issue of glasses, I asked by doctor to give me a prescription for my regular bifocals, with a +1.0 in the top of the lens, just for shooting. This is where most folks look when shooting. He didn't think I would like it, so I bought a pair of the stick-on bifocals and cut them to fit where I wanted them on my sunglasses.

It worked fine for IDPA, but I wear contacts and use reading cheaters when I need them. The only way this would help me is if I used them on regular sunglasses, but I'm out of luck when sunglasses aren't needed.

So, I went back to shooting without any cheaters so I'm more prepared for a surprise. Yep, the front sight isn’t as clear as it was 20 years ago, but I think I’ve found which of the front sights to use. :lol:

BTW, surgical mono-vision wasn't an option for me. I'm a pilot (not for a living) and it's not FAA approved.

Regards,
Chas.

Topic author
BobCat

Post by BobCat »

Thank you, gentlemen.

Surgery, while highly recommended by good and trustworthy folks, is not in the cards for me. I would have to be bleeding to death, right now! before I'd let another doctor near me with a knife. Long story, maybe irrational, but no surgery.

I need to check out the stick-on lenses and try one on my regular street glasses. Also need to remind myself that defensive shooting is not about small groups in the bullseye. Still, I am more confidant and shoot better when I can see the front sight crisply.

Anyway, thanks again and I will watch this thread in case anyone else has any suggestions.

Purrrs,
BobCat

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

I misplaced my bifocals around 10 years ago. Hated them so bad I did not bother to try and locate them. I've got a pair of (also hated) "long distance" glasses and keep Wally World "reading" glasses at 3 different locations, but for shooting purposes I manage to get by best with no glasses (other than protection). I just focus on the front sight, let the target blur out and hope for the best ...

Beyond that, the best thing to come along for my old eyes in the past few years is a grip made by an outfit by the name of Crimson Trace ... :)
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

one eyed fatman
Banned

Post by one eyed fatman »

Surgery, while highly recommended by good and trustworthy folks, is not in the cards for me. I would have to be bleeding to death, right now! before I'd let another doctor near me with a knife. Long story, maybe irrational, but no surgery.
I hear ya...

Mike Cornell

Blurry sights

Post by Mike Cornell »

Andrew,

I too suffer from presbyopia and astigmatism. I've learned that I can still shoot acceptably well wearing my "street" glasses (progressive bifocals). My sight picture is not as clear as when wearing Knoblochs.

I've found that certain sight types, Novak and Heinie, with deeper and wider rear sight notches help me in obtaining an acceptable sight picture.
I can readily distinguish an equal amount of light on either side of the front sight. Distinguishing front sight elevation is more of a problem. This shouldn't represent much of a problem for distances under 25 yds. I can manage to keep the majority of my slow fire shots in the X ring at 15 yds. I use all the verticle portion of the 10 ring at 25 yds unless I wear shooting glasses appropriate to the task.

I'm the match director for the XTC match at BRI this Saturday. I'll bring a few pistols with different sight types for you to shoot.

Regards,

Mike
Last edited by Mike Cornell on Wed May 11, 2005 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To be turned from one's course by men's opinions, by blame, and by misrepresentation shows a man unfit to hold an office.
Quintus Maximus 250 B.C.

Suckhow

Post by Suckhow »

I'm guessing that this thread is not attracting too much attention or input from the "younger generation" members.

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Suckhow wrote:I'm guessing that this thread is not attracting too much attention or input from the "younger generation" members.
Well..........I COULD jump in, but not much pertains to me. I had astigmatism growing up when I was way young (like 5) and I had to wear the patch over one eye (I think that's why...) and glasses for a while -- and it was corrected naturally to 20-20. It's a blessing for sure.

I've also heard that lasik is a cool thing, but the idea of burning my eye with a laser while I'm awake doesn't sound fun.

-nick
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Topic author
BobCat

Post by BobCat »

Again, thank you Gentlemen.

Mike - see you at the Match (unless we are rained out - I will be @ 15 yard line with pistols in that case).

Maybe I'm just getting goofy (can't spell "obsessing") about this because so much depends on confidence - in terms of shooting well in a controlled environment at the range.

The other day at the range, I realized that I was having trouble focussing on the front sight - even with my computer glasses. Low-light or other distractions - I guess I can see how the police in CA fired 120 rounds the other night at that car, and hit the guy 4 times.

In a situation "on the street" I'd like to have confidence that would aid me in staying calm and shooting effectively. None of the shooting I do, with special computer glasses, ear muffs, and so forth, is appropriate "training" - maybe it is time to start shooting IDPA, with street glasses and minimal special "gear".

Anyway, thanks again.

Regards,
Andrew

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

I had RK, the knife kind, back in 1993 and really haven't regretted it. It did destroy my near vision, requiring me to wear reading glasses, and it didn't correct the astigmatism, requiring me to wear lightly corrective lenses for distance when I desired. I have passed every driver's test since then without glasses.

I have worn glasses since the second grade. I usually have them on, it's a pretty convenient place to store them, they are so much lighter than what I wore before, and I don't lose them.

I have now "graduated" to tri-focals, with the mid range set for the front sights of my handguns (which also happens to be computer length.) I wish I could have had videos of me sitting in the chair with my gun out and the tech adjusting the lenses until I had what I wanted. :lol:
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

For all you "young" guys with good eyes: Enjoy while ya can. The time will come ... typically about 40. :(
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

I have worn contacts for being near-sighted for 23 years. I have been seeing the same Eye Doctor for 10 of those.

When I turned 40, he really begn to worry about my near vision. Everytime I would visit he would check that. I told him I was reading and seeing up close just fine.

Just after I turned 43 I noticed that my arms were getting too short and I was pulling the computer monitor in closer. LOL

On my next visit I told him. He did the exam and gave me a pair of contacts. While waiting for the lenses to settle I was going to read a magazine. I noticed that with one eye I still could not see well up close.

He had fitted me for monocular vision. He gave me a lens for up close in the left eye, and distance in the right eye. I am right eye dominant, so I told him to switch the eyes. I explained that I am a shooter, and needed to be able to focus on the sight.

He switched them and adjusted the perscription on the right eye so that I focus right at the distance the sights are. I can now see the sights great, and I still have my distance vision in my left eye. I thought it would be awkward to have 2 different perscriptions in, but I don't even notice. Your brain compensates and ignores the blurry image.

It was the best compromise for me, and I recommend anyone with the same problem ask their Eye Doctor about it.

Topic author
BobCat

Post by BobCat »

txinvestigator,

Thanks! That is a very interesting avenue to explore... I assume you can still see far enough down the road to drive safely?

This might work even with eyeglasses instead of contacts; have the dominant eye single-vision, for sights and computer, and other eye a regular progressive bifocal.

I had been thinking simply of asking for the bifocal "line" ("zone") to start higher, so I could tip my head forward to see far and not need to tip it back as much to see my sights. Using "one eye at a time" might be a viable solution.

Really need to make eye doc appt. - wanted suggestions to bring to the table, she is not a shooter but thinks she knows all about it.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Andrew

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

BobCat wrote:txinvestigator,

Thanks! That is a very interesting avenue to explore... I assume you can still see far enough down the road to drive safely?
I have normal diatance vision with my left eye. And the right eye is good enough at distance that depth perception is NO problem.

Best of luck to you.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”