George R Brown Convention Center Houston - Offlimits to CC?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
40FIVER
Posts in topic: 1

George R Brown Convention Center Houston - Offlimits to CC?

Post by 40FIVER »

I'm heading down to Houston this weekend for a school board convention at the George R. Brown Convention Center. I looked on their website but couldln't find who owns it.

Is this place posted 30.06? If not, I'll probably be one of very few packing at this convention.

Thanks for your help.

40FIVER

John
Posts in topic: 3

Post by John »

I've only noticed the GRB properply posted for gun shows. I was there last week for another type of show, and didn't see any signs. They could have been there, but I didn't see them.
JohnC

barres
Posts in topic: 6

Post by barres »

It would be intersting to know who owns the GRB. If it is owned by the city of Houston, wouldn't that invalidate the 30.06 signs they put up for gun shows? How could we go about verifying whether this (or any other property) is owned by a government entity?

As to your question, 40FIVER, I have no idea. THe last time I went to the GRB for anything was before I got my CHL, so I had no reason to look.
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

The other factor in this is "a school board convention". As this is a school related function it may cause it to be posted .
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Mithras61

Post by Mithras61 »

I believe it is owned by the City of Houston and managed by The Convention and Entertainment Facilities Department of the City of Houston, Texas. (from GRB Rules & Regulations)

John

Post by John »

Mithras61 wrote:I believe it is owned by the City of Houston and managed by The Convention and Entertainment Facilities Department of the City of Houston, Texas. (from GRB Rules & Regulations)
From the link above I found the following item that should answer your question:
15. CONCEALED HANDGUNS
Possession of firearms is forbidden in the Facility with the exception of the following: (i) licensed peace officers and licensed honorably retired peace officers and (ii) exhibitors and patrons during duly licensed gun shows and (iii) individuals licensed by the State of Texas to carry concealed handguns.
JohnC

SteyrM40

Post by SteyrM40 »

Hello,

Last time I went to the GRBCC for a gun show it was posted 30.06. I asked the cops at the door what that was all about and how that could possibly be enforced, given that the GRBCC is publicly owned and is subject to SB501.

The cop gave me the clever answer that since the space was being rented by a private company, and that only that specific area of the GRBCC was subject to 30.06, it was not subject to SB501. Not being sure of "his interpretation", I unloaded my weapon and checked my ammunition in a plastic cup with him at the door. Some of you may remember that I am always ready to stick up for my rights when I am 100% sure I am correct, but in this instance, I was just not 100% sure. Do you guys have any opinions?

I guess other states' coat checks are our ammo checks.

Stay safe,

SteyrM40
NRA, GOA, TSRA, VCDL,
IDPA, USCCA, JPFO

barres

Post by barres »

Looks pretty clear to me that the GRB cannot be bindingly posted 30.06, as it is owned by the City of Houston.
PC 30.06 (e) It is an exception to the application of this section that the property on which the license holder carries a handgun is owned or leased by a governmental entity and is not a premises or other place on which the license holder is prohibited from carrying the handgun under Section 46.03 or 46.035.
(Emphasis is, of course, mine.)

So who wants to volunteer to be the test case, be arrested, and tried? And from what I remember Charles saying, the only decisions recorded as precedents are appellate-level decisions, so if you win in the first trial, there is no clear-cut decision to reference next time it happens to someone.

Now, what about the Lone Star Convention Center where the Saxet show is held in Conroe? Is that owned or leased by a government entity?
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

Replaced Texan

Post by Replaced Texan »

The owner of a public building, i.e., the State or a subdivision of the State, cannot prohibit carry of concealed handguns under SB 501. However, if a person or entity rents the building or space for a private event, then the renters can put up whatever sign or make conditions for entry they want.
Replaced Texan

Carry Permits: TX, FL, WA.

In the Land of the Free Because of the Brave

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 4

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Ahhh,

The "Texas CHL Ambiguity Clarification Act of 2007"...

Going to have to "further" define the relationship between:

- "events" whether it is a private or government function...

- "Facility" whether it is a private or government building, premises, grounds, etc etc...

- Rental, lease or other financial agreement to the use and purpose of the event or facility...And to whom is a part of that agreement...

I know I am being a bit sarcastic about this, and most of this stuff is fairly well taken care of already in the law...

Its these little nit-pickin' things that tend to irritate me slightly...

I know we are going to have a great session this next year...And I am very confident we are going to make some headway in getting some of this stuff ironed out...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

barres

Post by barres »

Replaced Texan, I respectfully suggest you reread PC30.06 section (e). It is an exception to the application of this section that the property is owned or leased by a government entity. Not owned and operated by a government entity. Now I agree that the police evidently believe your interpretation of this.

I apologize if I come off sounding like a jerk, but I think the list of places we can't carry is too long, already. I don't want to give up any place I don't have to by law.

Barre

John

Post by John »

So the consensus is that the GRB doesn't prohibit, but some private events (like gun shows) do prohibit. Correct? So the question remains as to whether a private intity who leases a public building can legally post a 30.06 sign. :confused5 :skep:
JohnC

Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

The concensus is that you can always legally carry at GRB per your CHL, but that some (LEOs and others) might incorrectly interpret the law to say otherwise.

Replaced Texan

Post by Replaced Texan »

There is no question in my mind that if a private party leases a public building in Texas, the private party can let whomever they want into the event and keep out whomever they want as well. This thread is not about whether GRB can prohibit CHL. It is about whether the renter can prohibit CHL.

As to the question of a governmental agency leasing a building, this refers to a building owned by a private individual or group and leased to the government for the government's use.
Replaced Texan

Carry Permits: TX, FL, WA.

In the Land of the Free Because of the Brave

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

Replaced Texan wrote:There is no question in my mind that if a private party leases a public building in Texas, the private party can let whomever they want into the event and keep out whomever they want as well. This thread is not about whether GRB can prohibit CHL. It is about whether the renter can prohibit CHL.
You're correct: that is the question.

And the answer is: no, under 30.06(e), if the government owns the building, 30.06 does not apply there. The renters can put up any signs they wish, including 30.06, but they would be meaningless.

Kevin

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”