Should the State extend the courtesy???

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Would you approve an amendment to the Texas CHL law to "compel" agencies that prohibit the carrying of a firearm on their premises, to allow facilities for CHL holders to discretely disarm and securely store their firearms while conducti

For?
77%
Against?
17%
Undecided?
6%

Total votes: 35

Topic author
stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 8

Should the State extend the courtesy???

Post by stevie_d_64 »

No big secret where I would fall on this...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Topic author
stevie_d_64

Think about it...

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Courthouses (jury duty) etc etc...

I know Houston has the "badging" system which identifies you (to people who know what to look for on the badges) that you are "armed"...

Utah, if I recall implemented a system at the Olympic venues during the Winter games for its permit holders, and held onto it for similar facilities after the games...

The reason I am presenting this is because I see and hear of too many folks leaving their firearms in vehicles, or even hiding them in bushes or other cover before entering a facility that bans you from carrying while conducting lawful business there...

Obviously risking theft and or other illicite use by unauthorize personnel...

If we're going to be restricted, why not compel the creation or extending existing facilities to allow us the profession courtesy to maintain a modem of control over our firearms???

Later,
Steve
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

Blazen
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Blazen »

I'm for it....

onerifle

Post by onerifle »

All for it.

I would also like to see businesses that post under 30.06 be required to provide same, and be held liable should a disarmed CHL holder be injured or killed while on their property.

Fair's fair...
"A man who asks is a fool for five minutes- a man who does not ask is a fool forever."

Braden
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Braden »

I'd be for it but I doubt it would ever happen. I can't imagine any business that would want the liability of securely storing our guns while we shop.
"I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." - Philippians 4:13

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

Braden wrote:I'd be for it but I doubt it would ever happen. I can't imagine any business that would want the liability of securely storing our guns while we shop.
The poll was about "agencies", implying government agencies like courthouses, DPS or police stations, etc.

I'd be absolutely opposed to requiring business to provide storage if they want to ban. But I wouldn't mind a law establishing civil liability if a licensee is harmed while disarmed by their no-carry policy.

Kevin

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

I would be for it, but it would have to be VERY discreet and I would have to be the one that holds the key to the locker or whatever. I would be very uncomfortable with a setup where it was obvious that everyone who went in a certain door was pretty much known to be going there to disarm.

Reminds me a little of the situation with Federal Flight Deck Officers at airports. FFDOs pass through the same checkpoints as passengers and the rest of the flight deck crews, but they get different treatment. Then people in line ask questions, which get answered with non-commital answers, but there is always some smart ass who knows and mouths off - "Ahh, he's an armed pilot."

And being very paranoid when it comes to revealing that I am carrying, I am even moreso about letting someone else store my gun for me.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Topic author
stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

KBCraig wrote:
Braden wrote:I'd be for it but I doubt it would ever happen. I can't imagine any business that would want the liability of securely storing our guns while we shop.
The poll was about "agencies", implying government agencies like courthouses, DPS or police stations, etc.

I'd be absolutely opposed to requiring business to provide storage if they want to ban. But I wouldn't mind a law establishing civil liability if a licensee is harmed while disarmed by their no-carry policy.

Kevin
You hit the next subject dead on...
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

Topic author
stevie_d_64

Something to think about...

Post by stevie_d_64 »

I had heard, and have yet to visit in a couple of years...But I have heard that the "Alamo" complex in San Antonio has a weapons "check-in" procedure for those with firearms carried under the CHL law...

Now of course I have to wonder why they would require that, being they are similar to a "State Park" entity...But it does show some mechanism that is accepted by the State, and the State Park folks to provide this service while visiting their facility...

Don't get me wrong though...I would rather not have to check in my piece, but if it is a facility that is off-limits to begin with within the law, I think it would be only right to compel them to have the system in place to accomodate us...
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

dolanp

Post by dolanp »

Well if it worked like anything the police did when they take weapons into custody, you'll get it back with all kinds of scratches, dings, and maybe even some coffee and soda stains. :wink:
Springfield XD 9mm Service

Topic author
stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

dolanp wrote:Well if it worked like anything the police did when they take weapons into custody, you'll get it back with all kinds of scratches, dings, and maybe even some coffee and soda stains. :wink:
pessimist... :lol:
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

Topic author
stevie_d_64

Just to be sure...

Post by stevie_d_64 »

I want to let those who are wondering...I am not advocating an unfunded mandate for private companies to provide this service...If they want to, thats their deal...

If a place is off-limits per the law, Those are the places that need to have a system in place for us to do this, conduct our business, then load back up and leave...No muss, No fuss...

I think thats only fair...

What got me going on this was a trip to Austin I had to take about 2 years ago...I had to go to be a witness in Federal Court...I parked and left my carry piece in the truck...All day...

Anyway, there in the front foyer, of the court building, at the front desk, were small keyed lockers (for obvious purposes)...While waiting, I had to ask...It was a slow day and I had had a couple of talks with the folks running the detectors...They said no way! But they wouldn't have a problem if the State passed a law...They'd let you do it right there, no questions asked...

So that where I am on it today...
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

jimlongley

Re: Something to think about...

Post by jimlongley »

stevie_d_64 wrote:I had heard, and have yet to visit in a couple of years...But I have heard that the "Alamo" complex in San Antonio has a weapons "check-in" procedure for those with firearms carried under the CHL law...

Now of course I have to wonder why they would require that, being they are similar to a "State Park" entity...But it does show some mechanism that is accepted by the State, and the State Park folks to provide this service while visiting their facility...

Don't get me wrong though...I would rather not have to check in my piece, but if it is a facility that is off-limits to begin with within the law, I think it would be only right to compel them to have the system in place to accomodate us...
Didn't see any indication of it the last time I was down there, but it has been three years.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Topic author
stevie_d_64

Re: Something to think about...

Post by stevie_d_64 »

jimlongley wrote:
stevie_d_64 wrote:I had heard, and have yet to visit in a couple of years...But I have heard that the "Alamo" complex in San Antonio has a weapons "check-in" procedure for those with firearms carried under the CHL law...

Didn't see any indication of it the last time I was down there, but it has been three years.
Yeah, I had heard about this "3rd party"...I didn't and still don't see a reason to doubt it...

The drill was to go to the "rangers" office around the side of the compound, and check it in there...You get a receipt, and can get it back when your done visiting...

No real paperwork to fill out either...

Seemed to be a good thing as well, if you could call it that...
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

Braden

Post by Braden »

Why would you need to check your gun at a state park? I haven't seen any written law saying you can't carry in a state park. :?:
"I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." - Philippians 4:13

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”