3/4" letters on a 30.06

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
gigag04
Posts in topic: 2

3/4" letters on a 30.06

Post by gigag04 »

Had to cash a check today at Brazos Valley Schools Credit Union (not my bank). They had to sheets of paper on the window with complaint 30.06 wording in english and one in spanish. However the biggest letter I can find was 3/4". This is not effective notice right?

Also - another question, do all the letters have to be > 1" to qualify, or just the caps starting the sentence?

I went ahead and disarmed as I was in a hurry and couldn't measure until I got home (got paper and marked the height of the undersize letter). They had an LEO inside...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

MoJo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MoJo »

the way I understand it the letters must all be 1" or larger.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

txinvestigator

Re: 3/4" letters on a 30.06

Post by txinvestigator »

gigag04 wrote:Had to cash a check today at Brazos Valley Schools Credit Union (not my bank). They had to sheets of paper on the window with complaint 30.06 wording in english and one in spanish. However the biggest letter I can find was 3/4". This is not effective notice right?

Also - another question, do all the letters have to be > 1" to qualify, or just the caps starting the sentence?

I went ahead and disarmed as I was in a hurry and couldn't measure until I got home (got paper and marked the height of the undersize letter). They had an LEO inside...
Are you really measuring the lettering on 30.06 signs? :shock: :D

ElGato

Post by ElGato »

Block letters at least one inch in height.
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

txinvestigator wrote:
gigag04 wrote:Had to cash a check today at Brazos Valley Schools Credit Union (not my bank). They had to sheets of paper on the window with complaint 30.06 wording in english and one in spanish. However the biggest letter I can find was 3/4". This is not effective notice right?

I did on Community Credit Union's signs, and they are NOT compliant. The fun part was watching them watching me with my dial calipers. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Topic author
gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

txinvestigator wrote:Are you really measuring the lettering on 30.06 signs? :shock: :D
Yup - today since I was pressed for time it went something like this:

-drive up, see two signs similiar in length touching each other on large computer paper in a window by the door (glass front). Speculate its probably 30.06.

-get out (armed) go look. Speculate again how the piece of trash is too small, but dont have time to actually measure.

-go to car, sit down, disarm (thank you fobus paddle), and enter do my business. I'm pretty sure the LEO watched the whole ordeal.

-on the way out of the bank, I grab a piece of paper advertising something like a free account, and I fold it to the same size as the largest capital letter as the sign (no measuring tool).

-get home, meusure that trash to be 3/4".

I'll be honest, the stubborn "I'll show you" side of me really wants to go back, take out a ruler and have a buddy take a close up digital pic of the actual measured size, then walk in and see if the LEO gives me any crap.

Hypothesis --> Get arrested and have to prove it in court. I would walk, but too much stinking trouble. I'll never be in that credit union again.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

rickb308

Post by rickb308 »

jimlongley wrote:
txinvestigator wrote:

I did on Community Credit Union's signs, and they are NOT compliant. The fun part was watching them watching me with my dial calipers. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Are they still running the 30.05 signs? The one on Beltline in Addison has the 30.05 sign.
Rick Bowen
TSRA Life Member
lex talionis
I am not a lawyer, and I don't play one on the internet.

waffenmacht

Post by waffenmacht »

I do see 30.05 signs from time to time. I also wouldn't tell the credit union thier signs aren't valid. Let them think they are, while the rest of us walk in there armed. :D

Braden

Post by Braden »

No kidding. If they figure out they're not valid then they'll change them so that they are.

That said....I'm not 100% certain that you wouldn't be charged based solely on the height of the letters....especially if they were CLOSE to 1". I can't say that I'd risk it....although there is a reason that the state mandated 1" block letters.....so maybe I would.

If the cop saw you though, I have to wonder what he was thinking. I went to Grapevine Mills mall in Grapevine, TX one time and I was armed. As I was approaching the entrance I was scanning for a 30.06 sign and noticed a large sign off to the side with a cop standing right next to it. I approached the sign (and the officer), read it (it was 30.06), shook my head and then turned around and walked back to my truck and left. The officer never said anything but he HAD to know what was going on.
"I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." - Philippians 4:13

dolanp

Post by dolanp »

Braden wrote:If the cop saw you though, I have to wonder what he was thinking. I went to Grapevine Mills mall in Grapevine, TX one time and I was armed. As I was approaching the entrance I was scanning for a 30.06 sign and noticed a large sign off to the side with a cop standing right next to it. I approached the sign (and the officer), read it (it was 30.06), shook my head and then turned around and walked back to my truck and left. The officer never said anything but he HAD to know what was going on.
So did you leave altogether or just find another entrance? :)
Springfield XD 9mm Service

Braden

Post by Braden »

I left...and haven't been back since except for one occasion when my niece had a birthday party there.

I later learned that they have 30.06 signs posted at every main entrance into the mall. :roll:
"I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." - Philippians 4:13

Baytown
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Baytown »

If the LEO at the bank is anything like me, he would not have given a crap to begin with.

I'm not going to arrest the only guy who could back me up if the bank got robbed while he was in there.

Glenn
Winners never quit, and quitters never win; but, if you never win, and never quit, you're a moron.

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

Baytown,

Is this common thinking with LEO or are you a rare breed?

Baytown
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Baytown »

I would like to think it is common thinking and I try to hang out with only pro-gun types.

I will also say however, we had a Sgt ordered an officer to arrest an armed securtiy guard for UCW when he followed someone with warrants and tried to detain her while we were en route. :evil:

It seems more and more officers have this two tier society attitude. "I am much better trained and know the law better than any civilian." I think it is an ego thing. They will not shoot competitions because the civilians kick their ass.----What happened to the "no civilian can be as good as me" ??????

Glenn
Winners never quit, and quitters never win; but, if you never win, and never quit, you're a moron.

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

Thanks for the explanation. We can only hope that your type of thinking will rub off on upcoming generations of LEO.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”