Racetrack Definition

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

JNMAR
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Racetrack Definition

Post by JNMAR »

tacticool wrote:Is anyone else worried about instructors who don't know the law? It seems there's a recent uptick. No offense to the OP or other instructors, and I give credit to those who try to find out the answers, but I worry that DPS isn't doing a good job teaching new instructors.
I'm worried about someone who thinks they know it all more so than someone who will readily ask when they don't. I'm reminded of an old saying which goes something like this, "Sometimes it's better to not know so much than to know so much that ain't so".

Props to the OP for knowing he needed to ask.

OldSchool
Posts in topic: 2

Post by OldSchool »

tacticool wrote:Is anyone else worried about instructors who don't know the law? It seems there's a recent uptick. No offense to the OP or other instructors, and I give credit to those who try to find out the answers, but I worry that DPS isn't doing a good job teaching new instructors.
In my Firm, the people at the top are the ones who are least backwards about asking "dumb" questions. It's the new people who are scared to ask for fear of "looking ignorant." Always appreciate those who want a clarification, a "warm fuzzy," or just want to re-learn something they had forgotten.

And, as a college instructor, I'd already be toast if I felt i needed to "know everything," because I don't. I've seen far too many instructors in all fields make that mistake. I make sure that the students know they have the responsibility to challenge me at every opportunity. :tiphat:
Life is for learning.
IANAL, thank gosh!
NRA Life Member - TSRA - PSC
NRA Certified Basic Rifle Instructor, Chief Range Safety Officer

12/23/2009: Packets delivered.
01/15/2010: Plastic in hand!

OldSchool

Post by OldSchool »

Teamless wrote:Sporting event maybe, but is it a professional one? Do these people do this for a living and do they get paid?
Yes, there are many professionals in NHRA drag racing. However, I would think that the only "professional" event would be the SpringNats; although most of the field are amateurs, the pro classes are the dominant part of the event.
Life is for learning.
IANAL, thank gosh!
NRA Life Member - TSRA - PSC
NRA Certified Basic Rifle Instructor, Chief Range Safety Officer

12/23/2009: Packets delivered.
01/15/2010: Plastic in hand!

dicion
Posts in topic: 3

Post by dicion »

Ah, see this one I know!
There is definately no definition for 'professional sporting event'
although, I think we can all agree what a 'sporting event' is, or come pretty close that any competition would count there, but 'professional' is the key word.

You can be an 'amateur' at something, and get paid to do it. Whether you get paid to do it, or it's what you base your livelyhood on are 2 different things as well. There's plenty of people who compete in various events, and get 'paid' to do it, but its not how they earn their primary income. Conversely, there's plenty of 'professional' associations out there, that people don't get paid to compete in, in fact, some require them to 'pay in' to maintain their 'professional' status. So they dont earn money, but its still considered professional?

That's one whole area that requires some definition. Either that, or just remove it completely :thumbs2:

stever1950

Post by stever1950 »

During the Spring Nationals for sure and possibly during some of the other sanctioned meets these racers are professionals. They make their living from racing. Ever heard of John Force....
"Resistance to sudden violence, for the preservation not only of my person, my limbs, and life, but of my property, is an indisputable right of nature which I have never surrendered to the public by the compact of society, and which perhaps, I could not surrender if I would." John Adams

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

Welcome stever1950. Do they race indoors?
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

:angel: Bringing another one back from the dead?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

That is why my class includes the CHL16 and a Power Point handout. Different folks learn best by different ways. Since at least half of my students are newbies, it takes more than 4 hours to sufficiently cover required material with class participation, also the bottom of the application states:

"While class instruction will cover the requirements made by the State of Texas. I realize that this class is not designed to teach the student how to shoot a handgun and there are many aspects of the Law that I must review and will be responsible for knowing. Such as, changes and additions to such Laws affecting LTC holders. I also realize, it is also the responsibility of the LTC license holder to read and understand the existing law and stay current with the law and changes in the law as they occur." So far no complaints.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

thetexan
Posts in topic: 6

Post by thetexan »

It's more refined than that.

The "premises"....read, building or portion of a building, of a racetrack is what is off limits.

The real question should be...what is included in the "premises" of a racetrack? Even more importantly...what is meant by the word "building"?

I take that to mean....this is my interpretation only....any constructed "building"; the stands are technically a building...a manmade construction...if you accept my definition. We are used to a "building" being an enclosed structure. There may be more to it than that.

We need a good definition for building.

tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

bigtek
Banned

Post by bigtek »

A building is enclosed by walls and a roof.
Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Fa la la la la la la la la!
Strike a match and see who's missin'
Fa la la la la la la la la!

thetexan

Post by thetexan »

bigtek wrote:A building is enclosed by walls and a roof.
Excellent! Now I'm sure you can provide your source for that legal definition.

Please do so, if you will.

tex

TVGuy

Post by TVGuy »

Sec. 30.01. DEFINITIONS. In this chapter:

(2) "Building" means any enclosed structure intended for use or occupation as a habitation or for some purpose of trade, manufacture, ornament, or use.

thetexan

Post by thetexan »

TVGuy wrote:Sec. 30.01. DEFINITIONS. In this chapter:

(2) "Building" means any enclosed structure intended for use or occupation as a habitation or for some purpose of trade, manufacture, ornament, or use.
Chapter 30 deals with BURGLARY AND CRIMINAL TRESPASS. All of the definitions in 30.01 pertain to the rules in that chapter. The rule we are dealing with, 46.03a4 which is contained in Chapter 40. And Chapter 40 has no definition of "building" among all of its specific definitions for that chapter. And Penal Code 1.07 global definitions contain no such definition.

So we still do not have a good definition for " building" specifically for Chapter 40.

Now, under the canons of statutory interpretation, without a legal definition the court would defer to the common meaning and usage of a word or term. And it's not uncommon in those situations that the court would, absent specific chapter or sectional definitions, turn to definitions used in other chapters and sections, especially when the interpretation does no violence to reasonable meaning.

The 30.05 use of "reasonably likely to come to the attention of...." phrase to define what "conspicuous" means in 30.06 and 30.07 is a good example of where a court might turn to define "conspicuous".

So, let's assume that the "building" spoken of in the 46.03 definition of "premises" does mean "... any enclosed structure intended for use or occupation as a habitation or for some purpose of trade, manufacture, ornament, or use..." then one could conclude that sitting in the stands at a racetrack is permissible since they are not "enclosed intended for [yada, yada, yada]...".

And thus we have the answer to the OP.

Or do we.

tex

apostate

Post by apostate »

Well, it has been 5+ years since anybody in this thread mentioned
"Racetrack" means a facility that is licensed ... for the conduct of pari-mutuel wagering on greyhound racing or horse racing.

;-)

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ScottDLS »

thetexan wrote:
TVGuy wrote:Sec. 30.01. DEFINITIONS. In this chapter:

Chapter 30 deals with BURGLARY AND CRIMINAL TRESPASS. All of the definitions in 30.01 pertain to the rules in that chapter. The rule we are dealing with, 46.03a4 which is contained in Chapter 40. And Chapter 40 has no definition of "building" among all of its specific definitions for that chapter. And Penal Code 1.07 global definitions contain no such definition.

So we still do not have a good definition for " building" specifically for Chapter 40.

Now, under the canons of statutory interpretation, without a legal definition the court would defer to the common meaning and usage of a word or term. And it's not uncommon in those situations that the court would, absent specific chapter or sectional definitions, turn to definitions used in other chapters and sections, especially when the interpretation does no violence to reasonable meaning.

The 30.05 use of "reasonably likely to come to the attention of...." phrase to define what "conspicuous" means in 30.06 and 30.07 is a good example of where a court might turn to define "conspicuous".

So, let's assume that the "building" spoken of in the 46.03 definition of "premises" does mean "... any enclosed structure intended for use or occupation as a habitation or for some purpose of trade, manufacture, ornament, or use..." then one could conclude that sitting in the stands at a racetrack is permissible since they are not "enclosed intended for [yada, yada, yada]...".

And thus we have the answer to the OP.

Or do we.

tex
Per statutory construction we would first go to the definition of building elsewhere (Chapter 30) in the Penal Code BEFORE we would go to the common usage. This saves the Legislature from having to repeat the definitions of every word that they seek to define, in every Chapter. :rules:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”