Illinois last state with no concealed carry

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

G26ster
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Illinois last state with no concealed carry

Post by G26ster »

loadedliberal wrote:
seamusTX wrote:Yankees come from east of the Hudson River. We've been over this before. ;-)

Most of the people in Wisconsin are descended from Germans or Scandinavians, with somewhat fewer Africans, American Indians, and Asians than average for the U.S.

- Jim
Yankees are anyone not born in Texas! :txflag:
Like the Texas founders? "rlol"

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 8

Post by seamusTX »

George W. Bush was born in New Haven, Connecticut, making him the most blue-blooded of Yankees. Although he did grow up in Texas, he attended Andover, Yale, and Harvard, all in Yankee country.

Other names often associated with Texas that weren't born in the state include Ted Nugent (born in Detroit), John Wayne (Iowa), Kinky Friedman (Chicago), Troy Aiken (California), Roger Stauback (Ohio), Rudy Tomjanovich (Michigan), and Molly Ivins (California).

- Jim

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

seamusTX wrote: Other names often associated with Texas that weren't born in the state include Ted Nugent (born in Detroit), John Wayne (Iowa), Kinky Friedman (Chicago), Troy Aiken (California), Roger Stauback (Ohio), Rudy Tomjanovich (Michigan), and Molly Ivins (California).

- Jim
Add a few more:

Sam Houston - VA, Stephen Austin - VA, Davie Crockett - TN, Jim Bowie - KY, William Travis - SC, David G. Burnet- NJ, Mirabeau B. Lamar - GA, Anson Jones - MA

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 1

Post by baldeagle »

seamusTX wrote:I won't make any new friends around here for saying so, but boycotts work only when they are carefully managed and publicized with a core of supporters that appeal to the popular imagination.

The Montgomery bus boycott is the classic example in American social life.

Many if not most businesses excluded blacks as customers and employees for a century without missing a beat—that's 10% of the population. They legally could and did exclude disabled people until around 1990. Some still make it difficult and occasionally are sued for excluding service animals or trying to force wheelchair users into impossible situations.

Grapevine, Katy, (or whatever—how many of these pits are there?) Mills Mall will not miss 1 or 2 percent of the population. They have enough people throwing money at them to buy overpriced foreign-made trash.

Hawaii, Puerto Rico, New York, Washington DC, Boston, San Francisco, and Chicago are among the biggest tourist destinations in the world. You can't carry a weapon in any of them. Boston even bans pepper spray.

- Jim
You're absolutely right. However, there is a principle involved. As those who actually live by their principles interact with others in society, their attitude becomes none. If enough people live on principle, society changes. This is the reason I refuse to watch a movie with Alec Baldwin in it, no matter how popular it might be, and I won't allow one to be shown in my home. Everyone who knows me is aware of that, just as they are aware that I won't patronize establishments that won't allow licensed carriers to enter. While our numbers are small enough to not get noticed by commercial entities, they are certainly large enough to change the world. Recently I cancelled my auto insurance policy with Progressive because their founder and COB contributes millions to liberal causes. I now pay slightly more for car insurance, but I'm fine with that because I'm not contributing to something that I disagree with and that I believe contributes to the destruction of this country.

Huge social movements all begin with the decision of a small group of people.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Yeah, I'm not saying not to bother, but (1) let them know why they lost your business, and (2) don't except them to change overnight.

Taco Cabana was a success story for the RKBA community, but it took years of criticizing them on the internets for it to have an effect.

It's going to take a long time for these business to realize that people who are licensed and carrying legally simply don't do dangerous things (including the hypotheticals that some cops throw into the mix).

There are several actors and other public figures that I used to admire until their personal lives or political views became more widely known. I really despise the wife beaters.

- Jim

The Mad Moderate

Post by The Mad Moderate »

G26ster wrote:
seamusTX wrote: Other names often associated with Texas that weren't born in the state include Ted Nugent (born in Detroit), John Wayne (Iowa), Kinky Friedman (Chicago), Troy Aiken (California), Roger Stauback (Ohio), Rudy Tomjanovich (Michigan), and Molly Ivins (California).

- Jim
Add a few more:

Sam Houston - VA, Stephen Austin - VA, Davie Crockett - TN, Jim Bowie - KY, William Travis - SC, David G. Burnet- NJ, Mirabeau B. Lamar - GA, Anson Jones - MA
Ok Ok OK there are a select group of people who deserve to become honorary Texans. But they still ain't the same as a native Texans :evil2:
Side note one of my favorite quotes comes from Davie Crockett "You guys can go to heck, I'm going to Texas"
American by birth Texan by the grace of God

Not to be a republican at twenty is proof of want of heart; to be one at thirty is proof of want of head.
-Francois Guisot

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Oldgringo »

Just as, "Texas is a State of Mind", so is "yankee".

Just MHO and experience over the last three score and nine years...

ITMT, :fire low boys, they're ridin' Shetlands.

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

Oldgringo wrote:Just as, "Texas is a State of Mind", so is "yankee".

Just MHO and experience over the last three score and nine years...

ITMT, :fire low boys, they're ridin' Shetlands.
:txflag:

Herding cows the size of schnauzers, but they're cattle.

sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

seamusTX wrote:I won't make any new friends around here for saying so, but boycotts work only when they are carefully managed and publicized with a core of supporters that appeal to the popular imagination.

The Montgomery bus boycott is the classic example in American social life.
In further support of this logic, I will point out why the Montgomery boycott worked so well. It had nothing to do with the bus company itself. The problem was that the people refusing to ride the bus started walking to work instead. This gave them significantly less time, and made them more tired, at work. And many of them were household help in the upper class society's homes. Not having their help made the society wives upset at the situation. And then they put pressure on their husbands to fix the problem.

While I will admit that a big enough economic boycott would work, I agree that Katy Mills and Grapevine Mills malls will not miss the amount of money we and our families spend there. We would need to convince enough of the public that the lack of CHLs makes the mall so unsafe that no one should go there for it to work. And, since we are all agreed that the CHL is not a police badge, we cannot in good faith make this claim.

What we need to do is figure out how to convince the vast public to support us. We need an argument that makes us more sympathetic to the public. I do not want another shooting, but this is what Dr. Gratia-Hupp was able to do after the Killeen Luby's shooting. From that, we got CHLs in Texas. Lacking something to make our case more sympathetic, all we can do is support public relations and education campaigns like Charles Cotton has started. The more people we convince that shooting is fun and a family sport, the better we are in our efforts to improve the legal environment for guns in Texas.
Steve Rothstein

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

The majority of people—even in Texas—do not believe that armed citizens make themselves or the population in general safer. That is why every time firearms laws are liberalized, the same old arguments about "blood in the streets" and "wild west" are made, and many believe them.

Some entire cities and states (mentioned above) are effectively legal "gun free zones" except for the police, and they rarely can get legislative changes made.

A massacre like the one in Killeen does not guarantee that anything will change. It took four years and a change of governors after that for Texas to get CHLs.

(Also, while Suzanna Gratia Hupp was and is a very effective spokesperson for the cause, many others worked for it for years before and after 2001.)

The Virginia Tech massacre was worse, and nothing about school carry changed since then (four years now).

I agree with Steve about the need to get more people interested or at least comfortable with firearms and decrease the widespread ignorance and fear.

Also I have to add that having only 5 million NRA members nationwide and some 50,000 TSRA members does not speak well for the strength and commitment of the RKBA community.

Furthermore, candidates who are openly and explicitly opposed to the RKBA get elected, probably with more votes cumulatively than all pro-RKBA legislators. I'm talking about U.S. house and senate, state, and local representatives, mayors, etc. With rare exceptions (such as Rep. Carolyn McCarthy from New York) that is not why people vote for them. These officials get votes based on other issues, mostly local.

The NRA warned us that Obama would steal our guns, and he received more popular votes than any previous presidential candidate. The RKBA simply is not the main driver behind any election decision.

- Jim

danpaw

Post by danpaw »

My dad told me anyone north of Conroe is a yankee.

Sasnakra

Post by Sasnakra »

Guess there's no crime in Chicago "rlol" - so why let the peasants have a gun! Besides Rom :coolgleamA: is there now to take care of things - what could go wrong?
02/20/10 - TX CHL Received
NRA & TSRA

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

Sasnakra wrote:Guess there's no crime in Chicago "rlol" - so why let the peasants have a gun! Besides Rom :coolgleamA: is there now to take care of things - what could go wrong?
Someone needs to upgrade the "ROM".
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”