Anyone ever arrested and charged for CHL where 30.06 posted?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Zoti
Posts in topic: 1

Anyone ever arrested and charged for CHL where 30.06 posted?

Post by Zoti »

So we talk a lot about the "What if.." and the legality of the signs but lets see some actual cases where someone was carrying where 30.06 was correctly or incorrectly posted and the person got arrested, charged, chased off the premises etc.

snatchel

Re: Anyone ever arrested and charged for CHL where 30.06 pos

Post by snatchel »

Was talking to my buddy who is an Arlington PD officer, and they arrested a guy in a strip club a couple months ago when one of the strippers felt a gun during a lap dance. She alerted security who called the cops. Cops arrived and the man presented his CHL. Apparently he was too wasted to realize he was in a 51% posted club so off to jail he went.
No More Signature

speedsix
Posts in topic: 2

Post by speedsix »

...she knew he wasn't THAT glad to see her...

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

I would think that would be one of those things that you would be more likely to have added to your charges were you arrested for something else....THEN they find it on you.
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PracticalTactical

Post by PracticalTactical »

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administra ... vrates.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
From the 2009 conviction rates posted by Texas DPS:

Crime Texas Total By CHL Holder Percentage
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UNL CARRY HANDGUN LIC HOLDER 16 5 31.2500%
UNL CARRY HANDGUN LIC HOLDER ALCH PREM/CORR 2 0 0.0000%
UNL CARRY WEAPON/WEAPONS FREE ZONE 7 0 0.0000%
UNL CARRYING WEAPON 2,523 9 0.3567%
UNL CARRYING WEAPON ON ALCOHOL PREMISES 75 1 1.3333%

Says there that there were 5 CHL holders convicted of unlawful carry by license holder, 9 convicted of unlawful carrying of weapon and 1 convicted of unlawful carrying on alcohol premises.

What I'm wondering is whether 'unlawful carry of handgun by license holder' is PC §46.035, but that should be impossible for a non license holder to do, unless they don't count out of state licensees in the total. I'm guessing 'unl carrying weapon' is 46.02.

I'm not sure if 30.06 violations are part of 'unl carry handgun lic holder' or not.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Keith B »

PracticalTactical wrote:http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administra ... vrates.htm
From the 2009 conviction rates posted by Texas DPS:

Crime Texas Total By CHL Holder Percentage
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UNL CARRY HANDGUN LIC HOLDER 16 5 31.2500%
UNL CARRY HANDGUN LIC HOLDER ALCH PREM/CORR 2 0 0.0000%
UNL CARRY WEAPON/WEAPONS FREE ZONE 7 0 0.0000%
UNL CARRYING WEAPON 2,523 9 0.3567%
UNL CARRYING WEAPON ON ALCOHOL PREMISES 75 1 1.3333%

Says there that there were 5 CHL holders convicted of unlawful carry by license holder, 9 convicted of unlawful carrying of weapon and 1 convicted of unlawful carrying on alcohol premises.

What I'm wondering is whether 'unlawful carry of handgun by license holder' is PC §46.035, but that should be impossible for a non license holder to do, unless they don't count out of state licensees in the total. I'm guessing 'unl carrying weapon' is 46.02.

I'm not sure if 30.06 violations are part of 'unl carry handgun lic holder' or not.
My suspicion is these are convictions under PC 46.035 Unlawful Carrying of a Handgun by License Holder, for being intoxicated while carrying by a license holder (i.e. DWI or Public Intoxication)
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

KingofChaos

Post by KingofChaos »

Zoti wrote:So we talk a lot about the "What if.." and the legality of the signs but lets see some actual cases where someone was carrying where 30.06 was correctly or incorrectly posted and the person got arrested, charged, chased off the premises etc.
I'm most interested in what happens if you're stopped at a location that isn't correctly posted. Does anyone know exactly whats happens if you're made at a businesses with red 51% signs posted when it should be blue, or a non-compliant gun-buster sign? I guess a better question might be why you got made in the first place, but that's another discussion.
EAA Witness Elite Match .45 ACP
Blade Tech Ultimate Concealment Holster
SOG Flash II

Weg

Post by Weg »

If I chose to walk pass a valid 30.06 sign, or into a 51% location, and someone noticed I was carrying that was not a LEO, I would apologize , play dumb , and leave. If it was a LEO who caught and confronted me, I would just get what I deserve I guess. That being said, I can say honestly I have never intentionally walked past either.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

KingofChaos wrote:
Zoti wrote:So we talk a lot about the "What if.." and the legality of the signs but lets see some actual cases where someone was carrying where 30.06 was correctly or incorrectly posted and the person got arrested, charged, chased off the premises etc.
I'm most interested in what happens if you're stopped at a location that isn't correctly posted. Does anyone know exactly whats happens if you're made at a businesses with red 51% signs posted when it should be blue, or a non-compliant gun-buster sign? I guess a better question might be why you got made in the first place, but that's another discussion.
Two scenarios:

Location is legit 51% and doesn't have sign then you have a defense to prosecution due to new statues passed in 2009.

Posted 51% but really not a 51% location, then you could be arrested, but there would be no charge the prosecutor could level. However, I would caution going into a posted 51% location even if you know it is incorrectly posted as you might have some 'splainin' to do until the confusion on the sign is figured out. Best to call TABC and let them know about the sign so they will get the business to post it correctly.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

GlockFan

Post by GlockFan »

My first CHL instructor told our class ''if it looks like a bar..smells like a bar ..its more than likley it is a bar''
Jak Se Mas?

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

GlockFan wrote:My first CHL instructor told our class ''if it looks like a bar..smells like a bar ..its more than likley it is a bar''
So if it wreaks of stale cigarette smoke, beer and vomit, don't go in. :biggrinjester:
Keith

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

Keith B wrote:
GlockFan wrote:My first CHL instructor told our class ''if it looks like a bar..smells like a bar ..its more than likley it is a bar''
So if it wreaks of stale cigarette smoke, beer and vomit, don't go in. :biggrinjester:

Sounds like a right homey place! :anamatedbanana
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

papajohn1964

Post by papajohn1964 »

Keith B wrote:

OH NO! You take it and lock it in your truck, go back in and have fun! Just remember to call a Taxi to get home.

:reddevil
Yes the Marines are a Department of the Navy.....The Mens Department....
CHL since 7/11/11

ddstuder

Post by ddstuder »

Keith B wrote:

Except that the commies are making it illegal to smoke in the bars, so it is mostly stale beer and vomit! :cheers2: :drool:
Guns are like parachutes, if your ever in a situation that you need one and you dont have one, you'll probably never need one again.

KingofChaos

Post by KingofChaos »

Keith B wrote: Two scenarios:

Location is legit 51% and doesn't have sign then you have a defense to prosecution due to new statues passed in 2009.

Posted 51% but really not a 51% location, then you could be arrested, but there would be no charge the prosecutor could level. However, I would caution going into a posted 51% location even if you know it is incorrectly posted as you might have some 'splainin' to do until the confusion on the sign is figured out. Best to call TABC and let them know about the sign so they will get the business to post it correctly.
Thanks a lot for the advice.
EAA Witness Elite Match .45 ACP
Blade Tech Ultimate Concealment Holster
SOG Flash II

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”