CHL carry on ferry and Crystal Beach

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
mlee1216
Posts in topic: 3

CHL carry on ferry and Crystal Beach

Post by mlee1216 »

Going on a trip with the family to Crystal Beach in Galveston. Wanting to know if it was legal to carry on the ferry and on Crystal Beach.
Thanks.

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 6

Re: CHL carry on ferry and Crystal Beach

Post by seamusTX »

Welcome to the forum.

Carrying a handgun with a CHL on the ferry is legal. No one checks.

Probably all legally carried weapons are OK, but I can't confirm that for a fact.

However, don't try to bring a gasoline can on the ferry. Probably you can find a list of prohibited items somewhere.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

speedsix
Posts in topic: 1

Post by speedsix »

...they answer questions by email: http://www.crystalbeach.com/greer.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

That crystalbeach.com domain is a commercial domain. It's probably operated by the chamber of commerce, but I'm too lazy to look it up. I wouldn't depend upon it for any kind of official information.

When the TSA nonsense started on the ferry, TxDOT explicitly said that carrying a handgun with a CHL was OK.

- Jim

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

No special firearms precautions necessary, whatever rules for the road since the Bolivar Ferry is part of the Texas Highway System. seamusTX's warning about gasoline is correct. RV propane must be turned off. I have taken the ferry countless times in the years before Ike took our beach house and saw many people reach into a cooler in the back of their trucks to retrieve a beer while riding across. Be forwarned that it's illegal to have an open container in your vehicle on the ferry just like the road. The Galveston PD, County SO and the DPS will walk the lanes to check. Driving on peninsula beaches is allowed, but they too are considered public roadways and all the rules apply. Be ready for a random search as a result of DHS ...... stuff! "rlol" Almost got banned for inappropriate language.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Smoking is prohibited on the ferry also. For some reason, a few people think it might be a good idea to light up a joint. I guess that's why they call it dope.

There is almost always a cop from some agency at either end of the ferry. Mainly they have to deal with line jumpers and drunk kids.

BTW, for anyone who just wants to ride the ferry, you can bypass the line at either end, park, and go on as a pedestrian. Also you can ride your bike there. You can ride a bike safely maybe 10 miles on the Bolivar side before 87 gets hairy.

Fort Travis is worth a visit.

- Jim

Topic author
mlee1216

Post by mlee1216 »

Thanks everyone for their input. Since it looks like I am good to carry on the ferry. Does anyone know if it is legal to carry on Crystal Beach? Thanks in advance.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Crystal Beach is a town. It is more or less identified with the beach at the south end of town; but it has a city hall, post office, police station, public school, and all that.

The beach is the beach. It's a public right of way. You can carry a weapon there the same as any other public place that is not off-limits by state statute (like a courthouse).

There's a whole raft of regulations on things like driving, overnight camping, and fishing, which probably nobody really understands. Don't mess with the dunes.

I hope you enjoy your visit. There's really not much to worry about except sunburn.

A few years back, hordes of teenagers went to Bolivar every summer weekend to get drunk and run wild. They called it "the zoo" at that time. The fad went elsewhere when the cops cracked down on the drunk and rowdy teenagers in the ferry line. I think they go to Surfside now.

- Jim

Topic author
mlee1216

Post by mlee1216 »

Thanks for the info.

Ldy AlliDu

Post by Ldy AlliDu »

http://www.galvestonparks-seniors.org/n ... 0Flyer.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If they expect me to go there without my gun, they better protect me, I bought their sticker, guess I won't go back.

Link from poster above
2012 parking passes
more information

edit: I don't know where one beach ends or begins.

alvins

Post by alvins »

yea and they love to ticket for expired inspection and registration stickers once your on board.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

A couple of corrections here:

She Who Knows All informed me that Crystal Beach is no longer an incorporated town. It used to be, but it disbanded in the 1980s. Law enforcement in that area is mainly the responsibility of the Galveston County Sheriff's Office.

I didn't know they had parking stickers. I just ride my bicycle over there.

That parks brochure can say anything. Counties and cities cannot prohibit legal weapon possession by people with a CHL. I've never heard of anyone being hassled by the Galveston PD or sheriff's deputies unless they were doing something stupid like drunk driving, trespassing, or raising Cain.

- Jim

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

seamusTX wrote:A couple of corrections here:

She Who Knows All informed me that Crystal Beach is no longer an incorporated town. It used to be, but it disbanded in the 1980s. Law enforcement in that area is mainly the responsibility of the Galveston County Sheriff's Office.

That parks brochure can say anything. Counties and cities cannot prohibit legal weapon possession by people with a CHL. I've never heard of anyone being hassled by the Galveston PD or sheriff's deputies unless they were doing something stupid like drunk driving, trespassing, or raising Cain.

- Jim
seamusTX has it right. The stickers are issued by the parks dept but the only parks I know of on the peninsula are at the base of the jetty and Searim which I think is in Chambers or Jefferson county. There's also McFadden Wildlife. As Jim stated they can't prohibit any way. Per the LEO's I have had conversations with the beach is a public roadway. Fourwheelers are prohibited though golf carts are not. The golf cart designation must extend to the variety of vehicles such as Gators. Mules and other of that ilk. I think a steering wheel may be the consideration. You are supposed to have the day-glo triangle but but I don't think it's strictly enforced. Stay safe and watch out for the jellyfish!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

puma guy wrote:Fourwheelers are prohibited though golf carts are not. The golf cart designation must extend to the variety of vehicles such as Gators. Mules and other of that ilk.
This is a huge controversy on the beaches (though rather off-topic).

The real problems are people driving like psychotic chimps, endangering other people, tearing up the dunes, and trespassing. People who have houses near the beach rightfully complain about trespassers. Some trespassers even use the ground-floor bathrooms and showers of beach houses.

- Jim

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

seamusTX wrote:A couple of corrections here:

- Jim
:iagree:

"Firearms Prohibited" signs in city/county/State parks don't apply to licensees
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”