Texas soldier faces legal battle over gun in hospitial

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Slipknot
Posts in topic: 9

Texas soldier faces legal battle over gun in hospitial

Post by Slipknot »

Short version is that a soldier brought a concealed handgun to a Killeen hospitial that was not posted as per 30.06. He got arrested anyway. The trial is scheduled for Dec 3.

http://www.tdtnews.com/index/news/show/ ... o+hospital" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WildBill
Posts in topic: 21

Re: Texas soldier faces legal battle over gun in hospitial

Post by WildBill »

Do you have more details?

Some of the comments on the story refer to alcohol, a 30.06 sign and the hospital being on Federal property.
NRA Endowment Member

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 41

Re: Texas soldier faces legal battle over gun in hospital

Post by E.Marquez »

I've been looking for more info on this since it popped on my Serious Incident Report. But there is noting official coming from the Unit, Soldier, or PAO.

Have to just wait till the trial happens I guess.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

Well, I'm interested in reading the rest of that story but I'm not subscribing to get it. Either there WAS or there WAS NOT a 30.06 sign. IF the soldier was intoxicated that is a separate issue. I await the outcome, hopefully there will be an update to this unlike so many stories that fall through the cracks.

donkey
Posts in topic: 2

Post by donkey »

Heartland Patriot wrote:Well, I'm interested in reading the rest of that story but I'm not subscribing to get it. Either there WAS or there WAS NOT a 30.06 sign. IF the soldier was intoxicated that is a separate issue. I await the outcome, hopefully there will be an update to this unlike so many stories that fall through the cracks.
I saw the entire article posted on another forum. According to the soldier's lawyer are no 30.06 signs posted.

barstoolguru
Posts in topic: 1

Post by barstoolguru »

this is a copy and paste from another forum and I can't find where they got the info but it seems to fall in line with the story

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread ... al_over_CH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://tdtnews.com/index/news/show/9320 ... o+hospital" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BELTON — A 29-year-old Fort Hood soldier, a nine-year veteran with three deployments to Iraq under his belt, is refusing what most would consider a generous misdemeanor plea offer made after he was charged for carrying his personal gun into Metroplex Hospital in Killeen.
Some parents say it is toy guns that make boys warlike. But give a boy a rubber duck and he will seize its neck like the butt of a pistol and shout "Bang!"......George Will

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Quote from 24hourcampfire website wrote:He knew certain hospitals in the state ban private gun owners, concealed weapons permits or not, from bringing guns inside the facilities. He said he checked the entrances of Metroplex for signs warning against carrying his gun inside, and, finding none, entered.

“There are still no signs,” said Sampson’s attorney Kurt Glass, a retired Army veteran.

The police officer reported smelling alcohol on Sampson’s breath, but Sampson said a test to determine blood-alcohol content was never administered.

Glass said Sampson rejected a plea offer that would have required him to pay a $100 fine and court costs and forfeit his weapon.

On Wednesday, the sides were at an impasse with a trial date set for Monday when Kalafut amended the charge to include a designation that alleges Sampson was intoxicated while in the hospital with his gun, a clear violation of the concealed handgun law.
It sounds like the DA is going to "Plan B".
NRA Endowment Member

AEA

Post by AEA »

I hope Charles is handling this! :tiphat:
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RPB »

In addition to restoring his property, I hope the hospital and city pay him buckets and buckets full of money to compensate for the loss of position at his work, and for other damages for violating his civil rights.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

RPB wrote:In addition to restoring his property, I hope the hospital and city pay him buckets and buckets full of money to compensate for the loss of position at his work, and for other damages for violating his civil rights.
From what I have read, the hospital had nothing to do with arresting the man.
NRA Endowment Member

Slowplay

Post by Slowplay »

BELTON — A 29-year-old Fort Hood soldier, a nine-year veteran with three deployments to Iraq under his belt, is refusing what most would consider a generous misdemeanor plea offer made after he was charged for carrying his personal gun into Metroplex Hospital in Killeen.
Who is this "most" that would consider paying the $100 fine, the court costs, and then forfeiting your Springfield a "generous" plea deal? I guess if they keep piling charges and tactics that run up the legal bill to fight, he'll end up worse off for not taking the plea...which is the way they want it, apparently.
NRA Benefactor Member
"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance..."
- John Philpot Curran

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

WildBill wrote:
RPB wrote:In addition to restoring his property, I hope the hospital and city pay him buckets and buckets full of money to compensate for the loss of position at his work, and for other damages for violating his civil rights.
From what I have read, the hospital had nothing to do with arresting the man.
In a society that cared about justice, bad cops wouldn't be able to hide behind the skirts of the taxpayers. They would be held personally responsible for the things they do like adults.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

tomtexan

Post by tomtexan »

As always, there may be more to the story than what we know. OTOH, from what I am reading they don't seem to have a case. According to Sampson, no alcohol test was administered to him. There are supposedly no 30.06 signs, which seems to be confirmed by his lawyer. What jury can convict him of being intoxicated solely on the testimony of the officer's opinion? Did I miss something somewhere?
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

snatchel

Post by snatchel »

Side note that I'm not sure anyone has considered--and I didn't see it mentioned. Legal assistance is free if you are military and use military lawyers. That said, if I were him and I was innocent, I would fight the case too. I'd have nothing to lose monetarily other than what would be lost anyway (the TRP). He can afford to ride it out.

I hope he is innocent. I hope they hammer the arresting officer and use this as an opportunity to familiarize the rest of the state with Concealed Handgun Laws. And if this guy wins... legal precedence. I'm ok with that too.
No More Signature

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

snatchel wrote:Side note that I'm not sure anyone has considered--and I didn't see it mentioned. Legal assistance is free if you are military and use military lawyers. That said, if I were him and I was innocent, I would fight the case too. I'd have nothing to lose monetarily other than what would be lost anyway (the TRP). He can afford to ride it out.
He is not using a military lawyer.
Last edited by WildBill on Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”