Carry in Church

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Wes
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Carry in Church

Post by Wes »

carlson1 wrote:I am a Pastor who has a school. Somewhere on here I had this question and Mr. Cotton answered it, but I cannot remember what he posted. I cannot find the thread either.

Maybe he will catch this one and answer it again.
Is this the thread? It seems to answer these questions.

Subject: What constitutes a "school"?
Alliance Arsenal - Firearms and transfers in north Ft. Worth

carlson1
Posts in topic: 4

Post by carlson1 »

Yes that is the thread.

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
I intended to post this reference for you Carlson1, but I forgot. I ran across this again today talking to someone about TPC 9.04.

If it's your church and your school, you can give yourself written authorization to carry. Here is the relevant TPC Section:

§ 46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) A person
commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or
recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club,
or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):

(1) on the physical premises of a school or
educational institution, any grounds or building on which an
activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being
conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or
educational institution, whether the school or educational
institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written
regulations or written authorization of the institution
;

When you issue the written authorization for yourself, give me one too, just for the heck of it. :lol: Actually, I see nothing in the statute that would prevent you authorizing all CHL's.

Regards,
Chas.

Topic author
tweaked
Posts in topic: 6

Post by tweaked »

Thanks for that, however, I think that the school is an entirely separate organization and I would have to get separate permission to carry there.

Topic author
tweaked

Post by tweaked »

Can someone please give me a definitive answer regarding this issue? My church has a school associated with it, but the sanctuary actually belongs to the church not the school. Would I be legal as long as I didn't go on the school grounds which is completely separate?

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

tweaked wrote:Can someone please give me a definitive answer regarding this issue? My church has a school associated with it, but the sanctuary actually belongs to the church not the school. Would I be legal as long as I didn't go on the school grounds which is completely separate?
Yes it is legal for you to carry at church unless is properly posted with 30.06.

jayinsat
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jayinsat »

Today was my first time carrying at church. I am the pastor of the church and was kind of self conscious when it came time to hug members or raise my hands to speak (it's a deaf church so the service is in ASL).

One of my members who had been away for a while came to me afterwards and told me about her ordeal over the last year with her violent abusive ex-husband. She warned me that he may be showing up at church to "cause more trouble." We are a small congregation with no security. I am glad I finally got my CHL (3 days ago) and will carry everytime I step in the pulpit.
Armed not dangerous but potentially lethal.
CHL Application mailed 10/2/12
Plastic in hand 11/16/12

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

jayinsat wrote:Today was my first time carrying at church. I am the pastor of the church and was kind of self conscious when it came time to hug members or raise my hands to speak (it's a deaf church so the service is in ASL).

One of my members who had been away for a while came to me afterwards and told me about her ordeal over the last year with her violent abusive ex-husband. She warned me that he may be showing up at church to "cause more trouble." We are a small congregation with no security. I am glad I finally got my CHL (3 days ago) and will carry everytime I step in the pulpit.

:thumbs2:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Topic author
tweaked

Post by tweaked »

I carried in church today. It was a little awkward hugging people, but I avoided any accidental issues.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

when you hug, do the "one armed, side-hug" thing...it works and people just really think it's natural....I do it and I'm a "girl". Heck, I do it even when I'm carrying in my purse. ;-) (just remember which side to hug on :eek6 )
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

SewTexas wrote:when you hug, do the "one armed, side-hug" thing...it works and people just really think it's natural....I do it and I'm a "girl". Heck, I do it even when I'm carrying in my purse. ;-) (just remember which side to hug on :eek6 )
I do this, but when I forget no one has ever said anything. It could be a cell phone. :headscratch

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RPB »

SewTexas wrote:when you hug, do the "one armed, side-hug" thing...it works and people just really think it's natural....I do it and I'm a "girl". Heck, I do it even when I'm carrying in my purse. ;-) (just remember which side to hug on :eek6 )
I do that, I'm 6'0" ... I carry at 3:00 on the right, so I stick my neck out leaning in with my left side and left arm and usually get the 1-arm hug ... if they insist on a 2-armed hug, then my right arm goes low, in order to raise theirs up if they go for my waist area .. ... putting my arm under theirs (even with the short 95-year old lady) moving my elbow away from my body raises their arm and they hug my shoulders or neck on that side.

We have lunch (formerly "dinner on the grounds") after church ... me and the other CHLs usually sit together and discuss guns and gun shows etc (one in Kingsland Tx this next weekend) and One CHL/retired LEO mentioned he had another Glock 26 on the way (I was carrying one IWB with 18+1 and a spare 20 round mag and one in Front Pocket with 13+1) I was surprised that a Deacon from another church (who moved here recently and I'm hoping he transfers membership and Deacons with us) pulled out his CHL and TDL (ostensibly to show us the photos looked the same-he said photos taken 4 years apart... I didn't notice the date, probably just got the CHL and was letting us know, because everyone at our church pretty well knows everyone else's hobbies etc )
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Cobaltblue

Post by Cobaltblue »

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition. :fire

joelamosobadiah

Post by joelamosobadiah »

tweaked wrote:I carried in church today. It was a little awkward hugging people, but I avoided any accidental issues.
I always carry at church and it can be a little awkward with the hugs, but I've even had somebody put their hand/arm on my Springfield XD I wear IWB at 3:00 and not say anything. I usually can do well with the lean in, left side forward, put my arms under, etc., but occasionally there's somebody that insists on bumping against my right side or going for the hug while I'm not prepared, etc. The only people I've had say anything are the few that know I have a CHL and carry (mostly family)

JustMe

Post by JustMe »

the closest I have been to being "caught" was a couple weeks ago when someone came up from behind me--I was carrying IWB at about 4. I managed to put my arm behind my back/waist--like a parade rest position. More upsetting to me was that it was someone I don't particularly care for coming up behind me--and my hubby saw him coming & didn't warn me! But then, maybe if he had felt the gun, he would be more cautious about trying to sneek up behind me!
Mary Ellis
TX CHL Instructor NRA Instuctor--Basic Pistol,Basic Rifle, Basic Shotgun, RTBAV,Home Firearm Safety,Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection outside the Home. ,RSO, CRSO,TP&&W Hunter Ed Instructor

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I carried on stage again today. Regarding hugging, I'm left handed, and I go in left arm low and right arm up, and that seems to work for other people. But often, just before going out on the stage for the first service, we (the band) gather for a moment of prayer, in a circle with our arms around the persons on either side of us—sometimes around the shoulder, sometimes around the waist. Everybody in the band pretty much knows by now that I carry. I can't say that I've ever had anyone's hand rest on my gun, but it has happened to my backup magazine, and nobody batted an eye or said a thing. I honestly don't worry about it anymore. The people whose opinions I care about in the matter don't really care.......so I don't care either. It's kind of like open carrying without open carrying.

BTW, we rocked the building, but Jesus rocked the body. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”