Carry in Church

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

jayinsat
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Carry in Church

Post by jayinsat »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I carried on stage again today. Regarding hugging, I'm left handed, and I go in left arm low and right arm up, and that seems to work for other people. But often, just before going out on the stage for the first service, we (the band) gather for a moment of prayer, in a circle with our arms around the persons on either side of us—sometimes around the shoulder, sometimes around the waist. Everybody in the band pretty much knows by now that I carry. I can't say that I've ever had anyone's hand rest on my gun, but it has happened to my backup magazine, and nobody batted an eye or said a thing. I honestly don't worry about it anymore. The people whose opinions I care about in the matter don't really care.......so I don't care either. It's kind of like open carrying without open carrying.

BTW, we rocked the building, but Jesus rocked the body. :mrgreen:
That's what I'm talking about TAM! Rock on brother.
Armed not dangerous but potentially lethal.
CHL Application mailed 10/2/12
Plastic in hand 11/16/12

katmandu
Posts in topic: 1

Post by katmandu »

Just saw this about churches offering CHL classes :

http://www.thedaily.com/article/2012/11 ... ry-church/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RPB »

Hugging has never really been a problem. when you hug correctly like above posts suggest.

There's always pocket carry too
I carry a Glock 26 IWB and another Glock 26 in a Desantis Nemesis pocket carried
katmandu wrote:Just saw this about churches offering CHL classes :

http://www.thedaily.com/article/2012/11 ... ry-church/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It was a Deacon and a retired LEO at my home church, and a cousin and his 2 sons (one is a Pastor) all with CHLs who talked me into getting mine years ago.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

isaiahnlopez

Post by isaiahnlopez »

What up guys!
I just bought a S&W handgun and my intentions were to conceal carry at my church, but I just read Texas laws and they say that you cant..
what do I do.
P.S my pastor knows and likes the idea.

RetNavy

Post by RetNavy »

isaiahnlopez wrote:What up guys!
I just bought a S&W handgun and my intentions were to conceal carry at my church, but I just read Texas laws and they say that you cant..
what do I do.

you can carry in church as long as it is not posted 30.06 OR have been informed by a person in authority that concealed carry is not allowed...

PC §46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER.

(6) on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established place of
religious worship.

(i) Subsections (b)(4), (b)(5), (b)(6), and (c) do not apply if the actor was not
given effective notice under Section 30.06.

ETA; Penal Code sections
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. Freedom will be defended!"
-President George W. Bush, September 11, 2001

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 4

Post by SewTexas »

isaiahnlopez wrote:What up guys!
what do I do.

Texas law is "appended", not "changed", so you have to read the entire section of law to see if there have been any changes to a law you are interested in. In other words, keep reading! And yes, you can carry in church.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

reh

Post by reh »

Here's one:
My church meets in an Austin ISD elementary school. I am convinced I cannot carry there on Sunday, but my pastor (who relocated from Chicago a year or so ago) believes we can and has even hinted that he knows of CHLers that do. I asked him if they were current or retired LEO and he said he did not believe they were. Unfortunately, I'm still not carrying in church.

howdy

Post by howdy »

A school is ALWAYS a school. No carry there.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

rmoraes

Post by rmoraes »

B"H
To carry in church/synagogue with a school you need a letter from the board authorizing you. Am I wrong guys?
Rick KG5VKX
NRA Life Member - NRA Pistol Instructor
Glock and Sig Sauer Armorer

RetNavy

Post by RetNavy »

rmoraes wrote:B"H
To carry in church/synagogue with a school you need a letter from the board authorizing you. Am I wrong guys?
as long as its not posted 30.06 or been notified by a person responsible for the church you can carry in there...you dont need a letter

as for a school being used for church service... i agree with another poster that as long as it is held INSIDE the building then CC is off limits...
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. Freedom will be defended!"
-President George W. Bush, September 11, 2001

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

Hmm, this topic brings up a question that had not previously occurred to me —

What about adult bible study classes? I've attended those at church (usually in an auditorium environment) in the evening. Typically we would meet on a set day (Wednesday perhaps) for some duration (typically six or eight weeks). Would this be considered a school?
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

KC5AV
Posts in topic: 3

Post by KC5AV »

der Teufel wrote:Hmm, this topic brings up a question that had not previously occurred to me —

What about adult bible study classes? I've attended those at church (usually in an auditorium environment) in the evening. Typically we would meet on a set day (Wednesday perhaps) for some duration (typically six or eight weeks). Would this be considered a school?
You'd be fine in that situation.
NRA lifetime member

dale blanker
Banned

Post by dale blanker »

carlson1 wrote:I am a Pastor who has a school. Somewhere on here I had this question and Mr. Cotton answered it, but I cannot remember what he posted. I cannot find the thread either.

Maybe he will catch this one and answer it again.
See viewtopic.php?f=7&t=74633&p=944332&hili ... on#p944332" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Requires careful consideration...
"Fellowship, Leadership, Scholarship, Service." Anyone?

Judy V.

Post by Judy V. »

I'm also interested in knowing about carrying in church, if a school is in the same building during the week. Does a school have to post 30.06 or are we supposed to know that already for schools? In other words, if I don't see a sign, can I carry in church? If I were to enter during the week, while school is in session, would I still need to see the sign? I don't remember seeing a sign that even indicates that a school is in the church building.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Judy V. wrote:I'm also interested in knowing about carrying in church, if a school is in the same building during the week. Does a school have to post 30.06 or are we supposed to know that already for schools? In other words, if I don't see a sign, can I carry in church? If I were to enter during the week, while school is in session, would I still need to see the sign? I don't remember seeing a sign that even indicates that a school is in the church building.
Welcome to the forum Judy. :tiphat:

It really depends. If the school is accredited by the state and the area is strictly for school use and not a 'joint use' area, then the area would be off limits even without a sign as it is a prohibited location by state statutes. However, if the area is truly church property and just used by the school during the week, then it would only be off limits when being used as a school.

Now, if there is a 30.06 sign posted, then the entire building would be off-limits period, even when it is being used by the church.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”