Concealed carry at gun shows?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
tweaked
Posts in topic: 2

Concealed carry at gun shows?

Post by tweaked »

The last time I went to a gun show, they had self made signs up saying "No loaded weapons", but I never saw a 30.06 sign. There were police everywhere. Because its a gun show and there is a police present, would I be prohibited from carrying there?

Teamless
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Concealed carry at gun shows?

Post by Teamless »

if it is NOT 30.06 then carry away (as long as it is not one of the prohibited locations, which I cannot imagine would hold a gun show)

However, EVERY gun show I have been to (Houston area) has been properly posted 30.06, even if it is debatable if they can enforceably post some of the locations)
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

And every one I've been to, even on Gooberment property has been posted with police at the door checking weapons. I have not seen one with metal detectors since one in Dallas at Market Hall about 10 years ago. So, I don't know what would happen if someone carried in a gun show posted with a 30.06 sign on city property and were somehow discovered.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

C-dub wrote:And every one I've been to, even on Gooberment property has been posted with police at the door checking weapons. I have not seen one with metal detectors since one in Dallas at Market Hall about 10 years ago. So, I don't know what would happen if someone carried in a gun show posted with a 30.06 sign on city property and were somehow discovered.
I've been curious about that once or twice. What would happen to you, indeed? Under what charge would they arrest you, since 30.06 isn't SUPPOSED to apply? Or would you simply be instructed to leave?

Zoti

Post by Zoti »

Last time I went to the gunshow I unloaded the gun in the parking lot. Had the cop at the entrance check my gun then put it into the holster.

When I left I just removed the plastic clamp at the door with the wire cutters they had there and then put the mag back in the go as I stepped out.

There was no 30.06 posted but a sign saying no unloaded weapons including CHL. The show was at the Allen event center which I assume is city property.

AEA

Post by AEA »

Heartland Patriot wrote: Under what charge would they arrest you, since 30.06 isn't SUPPOSED to apply? Or would you simply be instructed to leave?
If discovered after entry, you could be arrested for violation of 30.06 (even though it is NOT applicable on Govt/City property, with no oral notice required) and the Lawyers/Courts would be left to sort it out. There has been no "Test Case" that I know of. Wanna be the first?

For the "Gun-Buster" sign approach at some shows, if you are refused entry and/or asked to leave but do not, you could be arrested for "trespass" (you received oral notice) which would stand a better chance of being legal/conviction than the 30.06 at City/Govt. property. And probably less expensive to resolve than the 30.06 thingy.

Another question would be......
What would happen (considering no metal detectors) if you just bypassed the tie-lock line (Policy - not Law) and entered the non enforceable 30.06 posted show locked/loaded? And/or if by chance asked by Cop....."any loaded weapons" and you lied and responded "NO" and was later discovered? ......(lying to a Cop is not a chargeable offense unless you do it under oath). If discovered after entry I think they would still arrest for violation of 30.06 and again let the lawyers/courts sort it out. Good Lawyer like Charles might get you a good settlement for False Arrest?

So, how do the gun shows decide which sign to post?
They say it has something to do with their "Insurance". Insurance companies cannot even spell 30.06 so I highly doubt that line.

The gun-buster sign is the correct sign to post at Govt/City owned properties (30.06 is not applicable) but they don't post it because it REQUIRES ORAL NOTICE before you can be arrested/charged.

The 30.06 could be correctly posted/enforceable at non govt/city locations (does not require oral notice).
Zoti wrote:Last time I went to the gunshow I unloaded the gun in the parking lot. Had the cop at the entrance check my gun then put it into the holster.

When I left I just removed the plastic clamp at the door with the wire cutters they had there and then put the mag back in the go as I stepped out.

There was no 30.06 posted but a sign saying no unloaded weapons including CHL. The show was at the Allen event center which I assume is city property.
HUH????? I think you meant to type "no LOADED weapons"!

I guess the cop didn't ask you if you had any ammo? They normally do at Market Hall and take the ammo from you. And you don't get it back. I guess you could get it back if you wanted to fish in the barrel for it.

It is simply stupid, posting a gun show with 30.06 (the intent to keep Legally Armed CHL's out). As long as anyone can enter a gun show and buy a gun at the first table, go to the 2nd table and buy ammo, load it and kill everyone they can, it is only disarming the good guys (like all gun Laws/Restrictions). The bad guys will still do what they want.

IANAL - the above is only my opinion.
My answer to all of this is that I just do not go to gun shows anymore!
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

n5wmk

Post by n5wmk »

Zoti wrote:Last time I went to the gunshow I unloaded the gun in the parking lot. Had the cop at the entrance check my gun then put it into the holster.

I went to the gun show (first time in years) at the Allen event center back in June/July. Called the phone number listed on the show host's website to ask about 30.06. The lady on the phone said "all gun shows in the DFW area are 30.06 posted". And they did have compliant signs at the check-in desk, with LEO checking the firearms that were brought in to sell. LEO checked that they were unloaded, then put a color-coded plastic zip tie through the action. No metal detectors, so they wouldn't have been able to tell if anyone was CC. I did leave my EDC in the lock box in my truck though and didn't carry inside. Bought a couple of things - "mega" box of .45 ACP ammo, and a flashlight/laser. Later determined I could have bought the ammo for the same price at the store, and got ripped off on the light, with no response from the seller to e-mail or phone calls. So I probably won't be going to gun shows again anytime soon.
EDC CZ 2075 RAMI
NRA Benefactor Life Member
USAF 1972-1980
Texas A&M -1980-1984

Heartland Patriot

AEA wrote:
Heartland Patriot wrote: Under what charge would they arrest you, since 30.06 isn't SUPPOSED to apply? Or would you simply be instructed to leave?
If discovered after entry, you could be arrested for violation of 30.06 (even though it is NOT applicable on Govt/City property, with no oral notice required) and the Lawyers/Courts would be left to sort it out. There has been no "Test Case" that I know of. Wanna be the first?

For the "Gun-Buster" sign approach at some shows, if you are refused entry and/or asked to leave but do not, you could be arrested for "trespass" (you received oral notice) which would stand a better chance of being legal/conviction than the 30.06 at City/Govt. property. And probably less expensive to resolve than the 30.06 thingy.

Another question would be......
What would happen (considering no metal detectors) if you just bypassed the tie-lock line (Policy - not Law) and entered the non enforceable 30.06 posted show locked/loaded? And/or if by chance asked by Cop....."any loaded weapons" and you lied and responded "NO" and was later discovered? ......(lying to a Cop is not a chargeable offense unless you do it under oath). If discovered after entry I think they would still arrest for violation of 30.06 and again let the lawyers/courts sort it out. Good Lawyer like Charles might get you a good settlement for False Arrest?

So, how do the gun shows decide which sign to post?
They say it has something to do with their "Insurance". Insurance companies cannot even spell 30.06 so I highly doubt that line.

The gun-buster sign is the correct sign to post at Govt/City owned properties (30.06 is not applicable) but they don't post it because it REQUIRES ORAL NOTICE before you can be arrested/charged.

The 30.06 could be correctly posted/enforceable at non govt/city locations (does not require oral notice).

HUH????? I think you meant to type "no LOADED weapons"!

I guess the cop didn't ask you if you had any ammo? They normally do at Market Hall and take the ammo from you. And you don't get it back. I guess you could get it back if you wanted to fish in the barrel for it.

It is simply stupid, posting a gun show with 30.06 (the intent to keep Legally Armed CHL's out). As long as anyone can enter a gun show and buy a gun at the first table, go to the 2nd table and buy ammo, load it and kill everyone they can, it is only disarming the good guys (like all gun Laws/Restrictions). The bad guys will still do what they want.

IANAL - the above is only my opinion.
My answer to all of this is that I just do not go to gun shows anymore!
I certainly do NOT want to be the "test case". If I gave the impression that I have that kind of time and/or money, my apologies. Mere curiosity, I assure you.

fickman

Post by fickman »

The most important thing is, as always, "concealed is concealed".

If you have a concealed firearm, leave it concealed for the duration of the show. If you need to fit a gun for accessories, carry a different firearm concealed. The concealed gun should never go from concealed to unconcealed in public (unless you're about to use it to defend your life). Even at a gun show.

This would ensure you have a nice day at any gun show not posted 30.06. Please provide us the details of this show so we can patronize it!

In theory, a well concealed firearm should also be fine at a 30.06 posted show on government property. Again, it should never go from concealed to unconcealed in public.

In practice, I haven't carried past the table at an unenforceable sign at a show on government property. It's clear the officers at the front assume the sign is valid. I have made it a point to contact these shows and let them know I won't attend their show while the signs are up. I also spend effort here hoping to convince as many fellow CHLers as possible to join the boycott.

Most here wouldn't patronize a non-firearm-related business that tramples their rights to self defense. We shouldn't give firearm-related businesses who treat us like criminals (or, more accurately, expose us to the real threats of criminals who aren't following the law) the time of day, either.
Native Texian

Heartland Patriot

I have been to several gun shows. I mostly go to "window shop". However, I have made a couple of good purchases. One was a NIB Taurus revolver that I got well under the going prices for it and another was a deal on three Okay brand AR mags, saved enough that it was like getting them without the shipping/handling costs. However, I do agree with many that a LOT of gun-show prices are no better than you could find on-line.

AEA

Post by AEA »

fickman wrote:The most important thing is, as always, "concealed is concealed".

If you have a concealed firearm, leave it concealed for the duration of the show. If you need to fit a gun for accessories, carry a different firearm concealed. The concealed gun should never go from concealed to unconcealed in public (unless you're about to use it to defend your life). Even at a gun show.

This would ensure you have a nice day at any gun show not posted 30.06. Please provide us the details of this show so we can patronize it!

In theory, a well concealed firearm should also be fine at a 30.06 posted show on government property. Again, it should never go from concealed to unconcealed in public.

In practice, I haven't carried past the table at an unenforceable sign at a show on government property. It's clear the officers at the front assume the sign is valid. I have made it a point to contact these shows and let them know I won't attend their show while the signs are up. I also spend effort here hoping to convince as many fellow CHLers as possible to join the boycott.

Most here wouldn't patronize a non-firearm-related business that tramples their rights to self defense. We shouldn't give firearm-related businesses who treat us like criminals (or, more accurately, expose us to the real threats of criminals who aren't following the law) the time of day, either.
:iagree: :tiphat:
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

57Coastie

Post by 57Coastie »

fickman wrote: SKIP We shouldn't give firearm-related businesses who treat us like criminals (or, more accurately, expose us to the real threats of criminals who aren't following the law) the time of day, either.
An idle question here has sometimes bothered me when statements like this appear time and again on this forum. This post may be out of line since it is broader than the gun show question, which is invariably raised and variably answered at least annually.

Just who "treats you like a criminal," the the owner of a premises authorized to post a conforming 30.06 sign who properly posts it, or the legislature in Austin, which authorizes the use the sign at some locales? After all, if one indeed has a "right" to carry a deadly weapon because of the 2nd Amendment, has not the legislature, in authorizing the limitation of that "right" under certain circumstances, done something unconstitutional? On the other hand, has not an authorized poster of a proper sign in the proper place not simply exercised a lawful "right" given him by the legislature?

When the legislature says that only if one has a CHL he may carry a concealed handgun everywhere except...., is that a "right," or is it rather a privilege granted by the legislature?

This of course opens a big bundle of worms, i.e. "constitutional carry," but might the criticism directed at the posters of conforming 30.06 signs be another case of "ready, fire, aim?"

I only suggest that this might merit some thought, taking no position on the points I raise.

Jim

Topic author
tweaked

Post by tweaked »

Ironically, I was actually referring to the gun show at the Allen convention center. I didn't realize there were so many people in my area. I don't recall a 30.06 sign last time I went, however the last time I went I didn't have my CHL so I wasn't looking.

Dreamliner

Post by Dreamliner »

After the check at the door and putting on the plastic zip ties, is having a loaded mag in the pocket ok?

n5wmk

Post by n5wmk »

Dreamliner wrote:After the check at the door and putting on the plastic zip ties, is having a loaded mag in the pocket ok?
30.06 specifically prohibits the concealed handgun, not the magazine. When I went in to the Allen gun show, I took in a couple of shotguns to sell, and those were checked and got the zip ties. My EDC stayed in the lock box in my truck, but I did have the spare loaded magazine for it in my back pocket. Didn't worry about it, since it didn't apply to signage. IMHO, IANAL, YMMV, etc...
EDC CZ 2075 RAMI
NRA Benefactor Life Member
USAF 1972-1980
Texas A&M -1980-1984

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”