Daycare and Pre-Schools

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
maddenjc
Posts in topic: 2

Daycare and Pre-Schools

Post by maddenjc »

I apologize if this has been asked before; I haven't been able to find it if it was asked and answered.

Generally speaking, are private daycare and pre-school buildings off limits for CHL holders (under the School premises provision)? And to extend that question even further, what about locations where some companies offer onsite daycare as a benefit?

I work in a large multi-tenet building in downtown Dallas and while the building itself does not have a 30.06 sign, I do believe a couple of the businesses offer daycare services.

Just curious... Thanks in advance...
SIG P226 (IDPA) + Glock 26 (EDC)
CHL Since 3/2013 (35 Days Mailbox-to-Mailbox)

Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Daycare and Pre-Schools

Post by Keith B »

maddenjc wrote:I apologize if this has been asked before; I haven't been able to find it if it was asked and answered.

Generally speaking, are private daycare and pre-school buildings off limits for CHL holders (under the School premises provision)? And to extend that question even further, what about locations where some companies offer onsite daycare as a benefit?

I work in a large multi-tenet building in downtown Dallas and while the building itself does not have a 30.06 sign, I do believe a couple of the businesses offer daycare services.

Just curious... Thanks in advance...
Daycare's are not schools. Pre-school is also not a school. There is not case law that defines exactly what a school is, but it is generally believed to be a public school that is accredited by the Texas Education Agency or a private school that is ceritifed by the Texas Private School Accreditation Commission. You can look the schools up here http://www.tea.state.tx.us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and here http://tepsac.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Post by C-dub »

I'm not completely sure, but I'm pretty sure day-care's do not fall under the definition of a school and are therefore not statutorily off-limits. Pre-school also probably do not meet the definition of a school if they are stand-alone places. However, if they are in a school with K thru whatever then it is off-limits.

Now, any of these places can post 30.06 signs or have that wording in anything you have been given or signed that you have read.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
maddenjc

Post by maddenjc »

Keith B wrote:
Daycare's are not schools. Pre-school is also not a school. There is not case law that defines exactly what a school is, but it is generally believed to be a public school that is accredited by the Texas Education Agency or a private school that is ceritifed by the Texas Private School Accreditation Commission. You can look the schools up here http://www.tea.state.tx.us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and here http://tepsac.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks... That does make sense to me... It's what I was thinking, but I figured I'd bounce it off of everyone here. I'm free and clear on any 30.06 signs / notifications.
SIG P226 (IDPA) + Glock 26 (EDC)
CHL Since 3/2013 (35 Days Mailbox-to-Mailbox)

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

the general understanding seems to be that if you work at one you can not carry, but if you are a parent picking up or dropping off your child, you can, so long as it's not posted. that's what we discussed when someone who worked at one did some research a year or so ago.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

tommyg
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tommyg »

I would think twice before carry in a day care someone might freak out and call the cops and make a bad scene
N.R.A. benefactor Member :tiphat: Please Support the N.R.A. :patriot:

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

tommyg wrote:I would think twice before carry in a day care someone might freak out and call the cops and make a bad scene
Why? Concealed is concealed. I do it all the time...
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

pbwalker wrote:
tommyg wrote:I would think twice before carry in a day care someone might freak out and call the cops and make a bad scene
Why? Concealed is concealed. I do it all the time...
:iagree:
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

My daughter's Montessori school doesn't stop at pre-school. It continues on through to 6th grade, and she even has kindergarteners in her class with her.

This school, even though it's not a public school, is fully accredited. For that reason, I believe it's off-limits for carrying concealed.

Can anyone give me better information on this?
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I hope you're kidding.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Vol Texan wrote:My daughter's Montessori school doesn't stop at pre-school. It continues on through to 6th grade, and she even has kindergarteners in her class with her.

This school, even though it's not a public school, is fully accredited. For that reason, I believe it's off-limits for carrying concealed.

You are correct. It is considered a private school and is off-limits.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Keith B »

Vol Texan wrote:My daughter's Montessori school doesn't stop at pre-school. It continues on through to 6th grade, and she even has kindergarteners in her class with her.

If it is accredited by the TESPAC then I would say it is a private school and off limits. I will bet they are listed here http://tepsac.org/search_school.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

I think that as a general rule, Keith is correct. But I have to add a clear warning that this is not defined in the law and there is NO case law on it that I am aware of. If you get the wrong owner, cop, and DA, you could be tried for carrying in the local driving school. If the business has school anywhere in its name, be cautious about carrying there and aware of this possibility.

With that said, if the business advertises as a day care I would say it is legal. A pre-school is one of those borderline businesses that it depends on the situation. I think a driving school, beauty school, etc. are all legal and not what was intended but I cannot swear to it with the law as it is now. I would carry in those situations but I prefer everyone make their own informed choice.
Steve Rothstein

Scott_09

Post by Scott_09 »

Hello everyone. Is there anyone experience with Phoenix preschool? Actually, I am going to enroll my 4 years kids with a local school and wondering if this rule applies to phoenix kindergartens or not.

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

Keith B wrote:

If it is accredited by the TESPAC then I would say it is a private school and off limits. I will bet they are listed here http://tepsac.org/search_school.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My kids is not listed and they have lower elementary grade's there, I still don't carry.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”