texanjoker

Re: Hunt ISD teachers can now carry

Post by texanjoker »

It is a sad day when teachers need to carry guns to protect children :smash:

troglodyte
Posts in topic: 6

Post by troglodyte »

I know of a couple of more but they have not gone "public" so I will respect their privacy until it breaks in the news or otherwise becomes public knowledge. I suspect there are many more ISDs operatiing on the quiet. Especially some of the smaller, rural schools.

ELB
Posts in topic: 33

Post by ELB »

texanjoker wrote:It is a sad day when teachers need to carry guns to protect children :smash:
It was a sadder day when schools decided that guns were evil and even the depiction or mention there of had to be kept away from student and teacher alike...
USAF 1982-2005

ELB

Post by ELB »

Added Chapel, Lingleville, Canadian, and Jonesboro ISDs to the list of "approved."
USAF 1982-2005

drumbdummer
Posts in topic: 1

Post by drumbdummer »

texanjoker wrote:It is a sad day when teachers need to carry guns to protect children :smash:
:iagree: HOWEVER, as a teacher at one of the schools that is in the above mentioned "approved" list.... I sure do like being able to do so legally!

treeman
Posts in topic: 2

Post by treeman »

I know that Harmony ISD had taken down their "No guns allowed on campus" signs and replaced them with signs that say "NOTICE some staff have been authorized to carry concealed weapons for the protection of our students." I did not see an official announcement in any paper.
I too think it is sad that any school, church, or anywhere has to think about how to protect folks, but it is worse to have areas set up where the "good guys" don't have a way of protecting themselves or anyone else.

ELB

Post by ELB »

treeman wrote:I know that Harmony ISD had taken down their "No guns allowed on campus" signs and replaced them with signs that say "NOTICE some staff have been authorized to carry concealed weapons for the protection of our students." I did not see an official announcement in any paper.
I too think it is sad that any school, church, or anywhere has to think about how to protect folks, but it is worse to have areas set up where the "good guys" don't have a way of protecting themselves or anyone else.
Works for me.

I also added Palmer ISD.

and West Hardin ISD.

and Childress ISD.

and Shamrock ISD.
Last edited by ELB on Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
USAF 1982-2005

tdrollo
Posts in topic: 3

Post by tdrollo »

Wow, this is amazing. I had no idea there were so many districts. I'm afraid the larger districts in urban areas will probably be the last to jump on the concealed carry for teachers bandwagon. I am a high school teacher. We have 2-3 armed police on campus at all times at my very large (3000 students) school. There is the "undercover school Marshal" law, but I just don't like the idea of locking up a gun somewhere on campus. It makes more sense, and I think it would be safer to carry it concealed.

ELB

Post by ELB »

*** Breaking *** ;-)

i.e., newstory posted just yesterday about Brenham ISD considering using allowing some CHL-equipped staff to carry.
USAF 1982-2005

BStacks

Post by BStacks »

I know of a couple of more but they have not gone "public" so I will respect their privacy until it breaks in the news or otherwise becomes public knowledge. I suspect there are many more ISDs operatiing on the quiet.
I know a large district here in DFW that is supposedly doing the "on the quiet" thing.

ELB

Post by ELB »

BStacks wrote:
I know of a couple of more but they have not gone "public" so I will respect their privacy until it breaks in the news or otherwise becomes public knowledge. I suspect there are many more ISDs operatiing on the quiet.
I know a large district here in DFW that is supposedly doing the "on the quiet" thing.
Unless they are private schools, I don't see how they can do this "on the quiet" or without going "public."
USAF 1982-2005

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

How so?

Let's consider:
- many schools are quite spread out. While general public access is usually limited to one central door area, illegal access for purposes of mayhem can be much greater. One uniformed officer, even making rounds continuously during the school day may be hard pressed to be at the point of entry of a determined attacker. On the flip side, the teachers are there with their students.

- the restriction for gun free zones is an artificial one imposed by a government that knows that it does not work but is more interested in ideology than results. Left to their own devices, I suspect that teachers with CHLs may carry for their own protection. Some of the schools can be pretty rough. In almost every school shooting, at least one teacher is shot. The most recent Nevada shooting is a great example. The teacher killed was a Marine and deserved the right to protect himself as much as you and I do. It is a separate debate whether or not he would have.

- The Holmes creep passed a number of movie theaters to got to one which prohibited self defense. I truly believe that if every school in the US had a big sign outside that said that the faculty was armed and it was a reasonable expectation among the general public that the sign was true, the number of school shootings would drop. I acknowledge that the most recent shooting may have been the result of a student wanting to extract revenge for perceived bullying and that nothing but a more tolerant society is going to fix the cause of that problem. But since most of the recent shooters took their own lives when confronted with resistance, I have confidence in the deterrent effect of firearms. I believe that criminals and perhaps even some with mental issues are more concerned about firearms in the hands of citizens than they are of the police. The more the target is perceived to be soft, the greater the attraction.

- The Virginia Tech massacre was many times worse than it could have been. That creep had extended free access to the students and simply and methodically killed them. A single teacher with a concealed handgun may have saved many lives. While nothing may deter the intent of a shooter to start shooting, offering them an environment in which there is no resistance gives them the chance to make the carnage worse.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

tdrollo
Posts in topic: 3

Post by tdrollo »

Before I went for my CHL class I pulled out the employee handbook for our school district and read what they had to say about employees carrying weapons. I wanted to be informed of the exact policy, and mainly I wanted to know if I could lock my firearm in my car while I was teaching, for convenience. I was surprised to see that according to district policy I could have my firearm in the car just as long as I did not bring it on the building premises (which specifically does not include parking lots, sidewalks, or areas outside the actual building). Then I went to my CHL class and the instructor blatantly told me that because I was a teacher I was absolutely NOT allowed to keep my gun in the car at school, but other adults who were not teachers could. I did not argue with him at the class, but I had the handbook pulled up right in front of me and read it over and over again, and it definitely contradicted what he said.

So, I went to our school police and asked them. After enthusiastically congratulating me on my CHL, they also pulled up the handbook and told me *I* was correct, and that it was plain as day in writing that I could lock my firearm in my car in the school parking lot. They told me of course to make sure that it was secured, and not to advertise that it was there (duh), but they were very amenable to the idea and very helpful.

So now, if I need to run errands after school, I have my firearm in the car and I can put it on to run my errands without having to go home first. :mrgreen:

GlockDude26

Post by GlockDude26 »

I'm sure i'll be waiting a while but i'd feel alot better if my wife could legally carry everyday teaching at school. i don't worry alot about a "govt wind up toy" coming in a shooting people as much as I fear these little punk gangsters that are irritated because they weren't handed an "A" on their report cards. the real threat these days in schools are the kids themselves because they are not parented at home, they have no idea what responsibility is or working to achieve goals, and they are entitled to EVERYTHING.... that being said there are a few good kids left whose parents refuse to let them go down the drain as people, but hearing the stories i hear on a daily basis i am glad my wife's told me she's ready to start taking classes during the summers towards a career change.....
"Our houses are protected by the Good Lord and a gun, you might em both if you show up here not welcome son" Josh Thompson- Way out here (best song ever) "eventually all citizens will become criminals with enough legislation....."

grim-bob

Post by grim-bob »

tdrollo wrote:Before I went for my CHL class I pulled out the employee handbook for our school district and read what they had to say about employees carrying weapons.... Then I went to my CHL class and the instructor blatantly told me that because I was a teacher I was absolutely NOT allowed to keep my gun in the car at school, but other adults who were not teachers could. I did not argue with him at the class, but I had the handbook pulled up right in front of me and read it over and over again, and it definitely contradicted what he said.
Good job doing your own research. The instructor is clearly wrong here. The parking lot law passed a couple years back prevents employers (with some exceptions including schools) from firing a CHLed employee for storing the firearm in their locked car in the parking lot. What that exemption doesn't do for schools is prevent them from making their own decision as to whether they want to or not. In this case your school has decided to allow for it which is great!
Josh

Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
Benjamin Franklin

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”