Hunt ISD teachers can now carry

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

troglodyte
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Hunt ISD teachers can now carry

Post by troglodyte »

Duplicate post
Last edited by troglodyte on Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

Cross posted.
ELB wrote:
puma guy wrote:
Over 170 School Districts have chosen to arm staff. Kudos to them and I hope Charles is successful in getting legislation passed in 2019 similar to the Church Security Bill.

Do you have a source for the "170"? Better, a list of school districts?

I was researching this a couple years ago, and at that time found news articles about 35 or so districts, and an article that said there were 78 districts that had "adopted the guardian program." I would love to think there's been 100 districts added.

Here's the list I compiled then:
http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic. ... 14#p810414

Ok, that was more than a couple years ago, it was...5. Yikes time flies

You can add:
Whitharrel
Whiteface
New Deal
Anton
Smyer
Forsan
Coahoma
Seminole
Lubbock Christian School

Morton - I heard they were (or were going to) but there was a change in leadership so I don't know the current status.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer

ELB
Posts in topic: 33

Post by ELB »

Added Millsapp ISD.
USAF 1982-2005

ELB

Post by ELB »

Added Navasota ISD.

And Waxahachie ISD. Chico and Anderson-Shiro CISD are considering adopting a Guardian Program. Also Port Aransas ISD.

and Brock ISD.
USAF 1982-2005

ELB

Post by ELB »

While poking around I discovered that a school at Callisburg ISD had actually used its Guardians. This was back in 2015 but I just ran across it today:
A protective plan of action known as the “Guardian Plan” was put into play Monday when gunshots heard near Callisburg High School caused the implementation of a “soft-lock down” at the school.

In a soft-lock down, all exterior doors are locked and guardian team members, trained teachers and ISD personnel who may carry or have access to weapons, stand guard at the outside of each entrance to the school. No one is allowed outside the school until the situation is declared over.
http://www.gainesvilleregister.com/news ... b081f.html
USAF 1982-2005

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Vol Texan »

troglodyte wrote:Cross posted.
ELB wrote:
puma guy wrote:
Over 170 School Districts have chosen to arm staff. Kudos to them and I hope Charles is successful in getting legislation passed in 2019 similar to the Church Security Bill.

I was researching this a couple years ago, and at that time found news articles about 35 or so districts, and an article that said there were 78 districts that had "adopted the guardian program." I would love to think there's been 100 districts added.

(Snip)
Here is an article that indicates the 170 number is true, with an interactive list):

https://www.gosanangelo.com/story/news/ ... 391561002/
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

Troglodyte already mentioned seminole, but you can also add Seagraves ISD.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

What are the rules/laws regarding private schools allowing their teachers to carry? I haven't done any research in this area but am curious as I am aware a of couple of private schools that are trying to figure out if they can allow carry.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

treeman wrote:I know that Harmony ISD had taken down their "No guns allowed on campus" signs and replaced them with signs that say "NOTICE some staff have been authorized to carry concealed weapons for the protection of our students." I did not see an official announcement in any paper.
I too think it is sad that any school, church, or anywhere has to think about how to protect folks, but it is worse to have areas set up where the "good guys" don't have a way of protecting themselves or anyone else.
I agree with your sentiments, but would add this...... It is sad when an ISD feels the need to keep it on the hush hush that they even might have an armed staff member on campus.

My guess is that having armed staff on campus won’t completely eliminate gun violence in schools, but it will go a long way toward doing so due to those schools no longer being gun-free zones. But....it remains a grim possibility that a troubled student might choose “suicide by teacher” - as horrible as that is to contemplate. I am completely in favor of armed staff on campus. Heck, I am completely in favor of armed parents on campus. But I do think we are fooling ourselves if we believe that this will totally eliminate the possibility of someone attempting the unthinkable. Police see this kind of stuff every day off-campus. So armed teachers or not, bad juju can happen. But with armed teachers, at least students and staff have a fighting chance if an active shooter does attack a school.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

ELB

Post by ELB »

mojo84 wrote:What are the rules/laws regarding private schools allowing their teachers to carry? I haven't done any research in this area but am curious as I am aware a of couple of private schools that are trying to figure out if they can allow carry.
There are basically two ways: The School Marshal program and the license to carry statute(s). The School Marshal program is laid out in detail by statute, and restricts the school to one marshal for every 400 students, and restricts the availability of the firearm. So most schools that arm non-police staff (nearly all as far as I can tell) go with the LTC based route, usually implemented as a "Guardian Program". Under the LTC statutes, the school can authorize in writing people with LTCs to carry on campus. That's all that is statutorily required, but schools generally add some local requirements as part of the Guardian program: training, psychological testing, maybe proficiency tests, etc.

Private schools are no different than public schools in this regard, they can authorize carry if they want to.
USAF 1982-2005

ELB

Post by ELB »

Vol Texan wrote:
troglodyte wrote:Cross posted.
ELB wrote:
puma guy wrote:

(Snip)
Here is an article that indicates the 170 number is true, with an interactive list):

https://www.gosanangelo.com/story/news/ ... 391561002/
Thanks, I did see trogo's post later, and had run across that interactive list. Unfortunately the interactive list is really not very helpful, it just provides a pointer to a schools website and regulations, and you have to go there and dig through stuff to find out if they use school marshals or the Guardian program, and the website often doesn't have this info.

So far the best source is TexasISD.com and doing a search on "guardian". I get the impression that whoever runs that website is not in favor of teachers being armed but they do provide links to all kinds of articles about schools in Texas.

Added Seminole and Seagrave.
USAF 1982-2005

Setxjeff

Post by Setxjeff »

Orangefield School District will use School employees as Guardians/Marshals.

https://kogt.com/ofisd-approves-armed-marshals/
TSRA Member
M1 Garand Collectors Association

ELB

Post by ELB »

Thanks. Added.
USAF 1982-2005

ELB

Post by ELB »

Sherman ISD is considering adopting a Guardian program. If you live in that area and want to provide input, they have a public meeting this month:

http://www.kten.com/story/38132769/sher ... ty-options

Also Stephenville ISD is considering: http://www.yourstephenvilletx.com/news/ ... arry-plans

Big Spring ISD has a vote scheduled for tomorrow night, Thu 10 May 2018 http://www.cbs7.com/content/news/Teache ... 86811.html

Hawkin ISD was looking into it back in March: http://www.woodcountymonitor.com/storie ... ons,122573?

Alvord, Nixon-Smiley, Marlin, Douglass ISDs have all adopted guardian programs.
USAF 1982-2005

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

I've heard from the inside that Lubbock ISD and Floyadada are also seriously considering the Guardian program. I don't know how far along they are, who will be allowed, or if it will even be adopted.

I don't have any media references for the schools I listed but I do have personal/professional knowledge. New Home and Forsan have signs posted that the staff are armed.

Whiteface
New Deal
Anton
Smyer
Forsan
Coahoma
Seminole
Lubbock Christian School

I removed Whittharrel. My understanding was the Superintendent was the only one carrying. I believe they have a new Super now so I do not know the status. I'll see if I can chase it down.
Talon Firearms Training

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”