Is this permissible in a classroom setting?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
thetexan
Posts in topic: 3

Is this permissible in a classroom setting?

Post by thetexan »

If I teach a chl class or an NRA class, let's say in a hotel conference room (and I have the hotel's permission, or any other suitable classroom) can I unconceal my handgun (unloaded) and use it for demonstration purposes during the class?

In other words does your concealed handgun have to stay concealed in the course of using it while teaching class? Is there an exception for sporting or handgun classes?

tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

CarryTexas71
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Is this permissible in a classroom setting?

Post by CarryTexas71 »

I'd suggest that you buy one of those blue training pistols.

NEB

Post by NEB »

The instructor I had was set up to carry a 1911. While I'm sure he had another firearm on him that stayed concealed, he used an airsoft 1911 that fit his carry rig to carry out any demonstrations.

--NEB

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

I don't know that there is any exception for it in the penal code, but it is commonly done by many instructors. Unless someone complained about it, there should not be a problem.

Now, that said, we only un-conceal to show various methods of concealment. Any guns that are actually handled for demo purposes are Airsoft, or SIRT, or blue guns.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Pecos

Post by Pecos »

My iinstructor had a Blue training Gun. With a laser.
Sig AR 516 + Vortex PST Scope

gthaustex

Post by gthaustex »

As stated above. Blue guns for basic stuff. An airsoft will give you more functionality if you are talking about / demonstrating moving parts. SIRT will help with a demo of trigger control, etc. (also has removable mag). Although it may happens in some classroom environments, I don't use the real thing as a demo unless I am at the range with proper backstop, etc.

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

Blue Guns are our friends. There are some training barrels available that will deactivate your gun they are a pain to use because you have to take the gun apart.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Originally I had 2 wooden cut outs. Got a Blue Gun & Red Knife for Christmas from the GrandKids. :hurry: Prowd Papa.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

croc870

Post by croc870 »

Are you on premises under your control?

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

No... I think the question should be around safety, or demonstration thereof. You are the instructor and a good portion of the class is about safety.
You should use obvious substitutes. Either Blue or Airsoft but never, ever a real gun if for no other reason than safety!

Think about the basic gun safety rules...

My 2 cents.

Max
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Topic author
thetexan
Posts in topic: 3

Post by thetexan »

I was speaking more in terms of legality. Is it permissible to have an exposed (non-concealed) handgun in a generic classroom when the purpose of the gun is to use as part of the chl or firearms class?

tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by EEllis »

Well if you have some arrangement with the "Landlord" to use the room I would think that makes a great argument for it being under your control. As such it would be legal for you to carry openly so unconcealing wouldn't be a issue.

JSThane
Banned

Post by JSThane »

If you do not have a Blue Gun or Red Gun, I would "compromise" by having whatever demonstration pistol you intend to use unloaded in a lockbox or clamshell case. When it's time for the demonstration, pull it out and show clear, then proceed with your demonstration. Once finished, show clear again and put it back in its box.

As an aside/added benefit, you can use this to show anyone in the class who may not be that "gun-savvy" how to clear out unfamiliar weapons, etc., while also demonstrating proper handling (safe direction even when unloaded, etc). Some otherwise well-informed people are surprisingly ignorant. :grumble

I would -not- unholster whatever your carry piece is, as I presume that would be loaded. Coonfingering your loaded gun in front of a bunch of people who may or may not know better, is not what I'd call a good idea, and avoiding unnecessary administrative handling helps cut down on the possibility for an accidental/negligent discharge. :fire

If you're pulling out an empty gun, not from concealment, showing it to be empty, then using it for demonstration purposes only, I doubt there'd be many folks who'd try to run you afoul of "failure to conceal" laws.

Results not typical. Your mileage may vary. I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on television, although I have stayed at a Motel 6. Non returnable. Non refundable. All complaints dial someone else as we fired our receptionist.

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cb1000rider »

EEllis wrote:Well if you have some arrangement with the "Landlord" to use the room I would think that makes a great argument for it being under your control. As such it would be legal for you to carry openly so unconcealing wouldn't be a issue.
I think the requirement is for the property to be under your control, not the room... Yea, I wouldn't risk it.

EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by EEllis »

cb1000rider wrote:
EEllis wrote:Well if you have some arrangement with the "Landlord" to use the room I would think that makes a great argument for it being under your control. As such it would be legal for you to carry openly so unconcealing wouldn't be a issue.
I think the requirement is for the property to be under your control, not the room... Yea, I wouldn't risk it.
Office in a building a room in a store. If you Lease it it's yours.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”