CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ATDM
Posts in topic: 7

A little worried before taking a CHL class

Post by ATDM »

Hello, everyone.

I am about to take a CHL class. Any practical advice? I realize that the question is very general, but, I guess, I wanted a little support and recommendations from those, who have taken the class already. I am a STRONG BELIEVER IN THE 2ND AMENDMENT, and I have been shooting guns since I was a child, but I was never interested in making it "official" until now. I just want to validate my experience with the TEXAS CHL license, hence the question. I am getting some sort of pre-exam jitters and would like to hear some opinions, examples, recommendations, and/or anything else that may help me.

Thank you in advance, fellow Texans...
Last edited by ATDM on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I cling to my God — Jesus Christ.
I love my wife and kids.
I am proud to be an American and Texan.
And... I cling to my guns.

cmwoodruff
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Taking a CHL class

Post by cmwoodruff »

It is very easy stuff to remember. I was in a large class and nobody even came close to failing. You can take notes during class, but if you have a good instructor you won't have to. They will make sure everyone knows what is going to be on the exam. The hardest part of getting a CHL is waiting to actually receive it in the mail.

Good luck to ya. :)
“How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” -Adolf Hitler

Topic author
ATDM
Posts in topic: 7

Re: A little worried before taking a CHL class

Post by ATDM »

Thanks for the prompt response, cmwoodruff...

Now I am worried about the passing, but I am sure that you are right that the waiting for the license to arrive is the hard part. I've never been a big fan of waiting for anything, and this one is gonna drive me nuts, I am sure.

Thanks for the encouragement...
I cling to my God — Jesus Christ.
I love my wife and kids.
I am proud to be an American and Texan.
And... I cling to my guns.

dms250

Post by dms250 »

no worries...I took the class June 2nd...no note taking I just payed attention...100% on the written and pass (just pass/fail) on the shooting...got my plastic last Wednesday!

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

As above
the test is easy
The shooting portion is easy (if you have ANY familiarity with your weapon at all)

You ARE allowed to take notes during the class
You ARE allowed to use your notes for the test
Many instructors may say "you should write this down", meaning it is on the test

the test is general information and really "Common sense" for the most part
there are 2 or 3 'trick' questions, but just stop, think common sense about them as well, the answer is there.

you do not need a perfect score to pass the written or shooting portions, relax, breathe and depending on where you are taking your class, take a SEAT CUSHION cuz 10 hours in a chair is very hard on your butt!
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

chuck j

Post by chuck j »

It's not hard at all , the instructor I had started the class of by saying that everyone here today will pass , it was really very easy . Dont know how often you shoot but you might run a few box's of ammo through you gun a couple of days before class . You will do fine .

alvins

Post by alvins »

personally if you cant pass the written test you shouldn't own a gun.

ofcourse my class consisded of the instructor reading questions from the test and making sure everyone knew the answer. great instructor huh?

carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by carlson1 »

alvins wrote:personally if you cant pass the written test you shouldn't own a gun.
Really. :headscratch

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

carlson1 wrote:
alvins wrote:personally if you cant pass the written test you shouldn't own a gun.
It might not be quite that bad, but I would wonder a little about the overall decision making process of someone that couldn't pass this test. Is this the person that will whip their gun out to show it to a friend at a party or any number of other possibilities and end up loosing their license, hurting someone, or in jail? Is this the type of person that is more likely to have their gun "just go off" while cleaning it?

To the OP, listen carefully and try not to ask too many questions and bog the class down. Don't be afraid to ask questions, but try not to ask too many "what if" questions. It really is very simple, however, there are some gray areas without any case law to clear it up that the instructor can't answer adequately. They can give you their opinion and recommendation of what to do to keep you out of trouble, which will always err on the cautious side.

If you are just a person that has test anxiety I can sympathize with you. I got a bull with a GPA somewhere around 3.4-3.5 on the old perfect 4.0 scale and yet I still get mild test anxiety with even some of the simplest tests. Just remember to breath and stay calm. You'll be fine. That also goes for the shooting portion.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Gunner4640

Post by Gunner4640 »

My class was good but sitting that long was not too fun. The instructor was good, they showed short video clips > coffee and doughnuts :fire
went to the range first thing, Everyone in the class passed both range and written test. 55 people in the class. :txflag: Total time to get plastic was 62 days.
Some now are getting plastic in less than a month, so its a good time to do it as processing time are way down compared to March which is when I mailed mine. Good luck pay attention and you'll do fine. :txflag:
Dave & Wife NRA Members
Too many guns to list> :lol::

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

You chose to get a CHL for the very same reason that I did - a right not exercised is a right lost. Shortly this whole experience will be a memory, and the hard part will come in. If you really want to exercise your right you must carry every day. It doesn't matter if you think you won't need it. The point is to carry. It will teach you about attitudes toward firearms (both familial and public), about the difficulties of accommodating your wardrobe to concealed firearms and staying concealed, about the solemn responsibility of being armed in public places, about feeling that it's natural to be armed and unnatural not to be. Hopefully you will never have to use it, but it could save your life or other people's lives some day.

I'm a guy who doesn't "need" a gun. I live in a safe place, work in a safe place and avoid unsafe places. None of that matters. I carry all the time because it's my right and my responsibility. I also practice, study the law constantly and learn from the experiences of others. I try to be as prepared as I can be for an event that I hope and pray never occurs. If you do these things you will gain confidence and become one of those rare individuals who actually knows the truth about guns.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

cw3van

Post by cw3van »

carlson1 wrote:
:iagree: :iagree: Really.
cw3van
Retired LEO
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member,

kjolly

Post by kjolly »

I think you will enjoy the class once you relax. Every instructor I have met is on your side. Pay attention in class and don't let the nerves get to you on the range. I have never known anyone to fail the class based on scores. It is all easily doable.
Even if the range was to go badly for you, they are required to give you three chances to qualify so keep calm, take care of business and above all be safe.
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Certified Trainer, IDPA
NRA Range Safety Officer

http://www.tacticalpistol.us

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

C-dub wrote:
carlson1 wrote:
It might not be quite that bad, but I would wonder a little about the overall decision making process of someone that couldn't pass this test. Is this the person that will whip their gun out to show it to a friend at a party or any number of other possibilities and end up loosing their license, hurting someone, or in jail? Is this the type of person that is more likely to have their gun "just go off" while cleaning it?

To the OP, listen carefully and try not to ask too many questions and bog the class down. Don't be afraid to ask questions, but try not to ask too many "what if" questions. It really is very simple, however, there are some gray areas without any case law to clear it up that the instructor can't answer adequately. They can give you their opinion and recommendation of what to do to keep you out of trouble, which will always err on the cautious side.

If you are just a person that has test anxiety I can sympathize with you. I got a bull with a GPA somewhere around 3.4-3.5 on the old perfect 4.0 scale and yet I still get mild test anxiety with even some of the simplest tests. Just remember to breath and stay calm. You'll be fine. That also goes for the shooting portion.
Okay, this might be funny. I thought I typed bull for Bachelor of Science, but either spell check or a moderator changed it. Let's see.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

C-dub wrote:
C-dub wrote:
carlson1 wrote:

Okay, this might be funny. I thought I typed bull for Bachelor of Science, but either spell check or a moderator changed it. Let's see.
I guess it really was forum rules auto changer thing. It did it again instantly. "rlol"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”