CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
escapedNJ
Posts in topic: 4

6 Month Residency Requirement

Post by escapedNJ »

Hi Everyone!

I have been in Texas 2 months after escaping from NJ......

I just about completed all my requirements for CHL but I read and was told by my instructor that I have to wait 6 months before I can submit my paper work. Now I have also seen some say that Texas no longer requires it? So the question is.. Is that the case? If so why is it that a non resident can get one but a new resident can't? What is the reasoning behind it?

Thanks!
NRA
GOA
2AF
NJ2AS(dot)com

olafpfj
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 6 Month Residency Requirement

Post by olafpfj »

You'll be fine. I got mine within 2 months of moving here as have many others.
"If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law." -Winston Churchill

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jumping Frog »

GC §411.173. NONRESIDENT LICENSE. (a) The department by rule shall establish a procedure for a person who meets the eligibility requirements of this subchapter other than the residency requirement established by Section 411.172(a)(1) to obtain a license under this subchapter if the person is a legal resident of another state or if the person relocates to this state with the intent to establish residency in this state. The procedure must include payment of a fee in an amount sufficient to recover the average cost to the department of obtaining a criminal history record check and investigation on a nonresident applicant. A license issued in accordance with the procedure established under this subsection:
(1) remains in effect until the license expires under Section 411.183; and
(2) may be renewed under Section 411.185.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Topic author
escapedNJ

Post by escapedNJ »

Thanks Y'all! I feel much better! :txflag:
NRA
GOA
2AF
NJ2AS(dot)com

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

Confusion about the law seems much more common ever since instructor renewal classes were discontinued.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

escapedNJ wrote:Hi Everyone!

I just about completed all my requirements for CHL but I read and was told by my instructor that I have to wait 6 months before I can submit my paper work. Now I have also seen some say that Texas no longer requires it? So the question is.. Is that the case? If so why is it that a non resident can get one but a new resident can't? What is the reasoning behind it?

Thanks!
Your instructor is behind the times. The "six month waiting period" hasn't been required for many years.
NRA Endowment Member

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

WildBill wrote:
escapedNJ wrote:Hi Everyone!

Thanks!
Your instructor is behind the times. The "six month waiting period" hasn't been required for many years.
:iagree: No longer a requirement. Tell your instructor to look up the law again. You qualify if you have changed your residency to Texas and have changed your Drivers License.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

o b juan

Post by o b juan »

There Out There!! I am an Instcrutor for 18 years and here and I can tell you there are to many..

as for the renewals, students I have Instructed call me and say they want the class even though it is not required.. Its nice to be Loved !!??
CHL Instructor since 95'/ School safety Since Jan 17' :patriot:

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

As a suggestion, don't file until you have your Texas DL. It just confuses and delays things if you do.

I moved here in June, got my DL issued on July 2, and had my CHL a few weeks ago. It would have been faster and smoother had I not filed more than a year ago from CA in anticipation of moving, then been unable to get here for the class until the move. I also could not check online and wasted some time not getting prints and BI done as soon as I could have. Still even with all that it was much faster, easier and cheaper than the permit in CA.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Topic author
escapedNJ

Post by escapedNJ »

I handled my Texas DL before I submitted online. I am glad to here because honestly it sounds stupid to have a 6 month requirement but allow non residents to apply.
NRA
GOA
2AF
NJ2AS(dot)com

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

JALLEN wrote:As a suggestion, don't file until you have your Texas DL. It just confuses and delays things if you do.
My Texas license was originally issued using my Ohio DL as identification. When I moved here, I simply filed a change of address and a change of driver license on the same form. It was still $25 to update the license.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

Jumping Frog wrote:
JALLEN wrote:As a suggestion, don't file until you have your Texas DL. It just confuses and delays things if you do.
My Texas license was originally issued using my Ohio DL as identification. When I moved here, I simply filed a change of address and a change of driver license on the same form. It was still $25 to update the license.
Sure. The trouble was that I was unable to complete my application and get the CHL issued before I moved. DPS still had my original application with CA D/L, SSAN address etc and now I was sending in stuff with a Texas D/L, different address, etc. and it just clogged things up, including, apparently, being completely unable to follow progress online. The good news was that because the app was still in the system, even though more than a year old, I got credit for the fee, and did not have to pay a second time.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

gringo pistolero

Post by gringo pistolero »

It seems like the best way is to apply before you move, if you want to get a jump on the process. If you miss that window, get your Texas DL first and avoid confusion.
I sincerely apologize to anybody I offended by suggesting the Second Amendment also applies to The People who don't work for the government.

infoman

Post by infoman »

There is NO residency requirement at all. Anyone living anywhere in the US can get a Texas CHL. They just have to take the course here. You do not need a Texas DL/ID either.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

infoman wrote:There is NO residency requirement at all. Anyone living anywhere in the US can get a Texas CHL. They just have to take the course here. You do not need a Texas DL/ID either.
There is a residency requirement to get a resident CHL. And if the person has moved to Texas and is now a resident there is no longer a 6 month waiting period. Just take the class and get a Texas resident CHL at any time.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”