Went to Topgolf West Houston

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RKirkwood
Posts in topic: 1

Went to Topgolf West Houston

Post by RKirkwood »

Our company held a group event at Topgolf this week. As soon as I got to the door on the left was a large 30.06 sign. Its amazing that its not 51%, large bar downstairs and bar upstairs. I check the TABC sight and its a Blue sign but it wasn't posted anywhere I could see. Don't they have to post a sign?

Jaguar
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Went to Topgolf West Houston

Post by Jaguar »

Yep, they have to post the sign even if it's blue.

Since they post the 30.06, maybe they didn't want people to see the "unlicensed" sign and figure they could carry so they hide it, so to speak. People looking for a red or blue sign will find the 30.06 sign instead, while the blue sign is in an obscure location.

I don't know that for a fact, but it seems logical that the illogical hoplophobic would do that.
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

race4beer

Post by race4beer »

TG Dallas is posted 30.06 as of my last visit there as well.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I guess when it comes to golf, there's no protestation about 30.06..., but if it's a business other than golf, stand back, here comes the howls of protest.

The Walrus

Post by The Walrus »

Abraham wrote:I guess when it comes to golf, there's no protestation about 30.06..., but if it's a business other than golf, stand back, here comes the howls of protest.
A golf course is a waste of a perfectly good rifle range, but I would have reported them to TABC for the sign violation.

Medic218

Post by Medic218 »

I haven't been in a few months but I don't recall the one in Allen having any sort of posting.
I do love me some TopGolf too. Guess it's time to take another trip to see.
Also, I wonder what the status on the new one in The Colony will be once it's up and running.
"I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
"Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- M218

tommyg

Post by tommyg »

DO NOT BUY From TOP Golf and respectfully tell them that you are scared off by the 3006 sign
N.R.A. benefactor Member :tiphat: Please Support the N.R.A. :patriot:

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Medic218 wrote:I haven't been in a few months but I don't recall the one in Allen having any sort of posting.
I do love me some TopGolf too. Guess it's time to take another trip to see.
Also, I wonder what the status on the new one in The Colony will be once it's up and running.
Topgolf in Allen is also posted.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

The Walrus wrote:A golf course is a waste of a perfectly good rifle range...
I'm going to borrow that from time to time, if you don't mind. "rlol"
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

JKTex

Post by JKTex »

Jaguar wrote:Yep, they have to post the sign even if it's blue.

Since they post the 30.06, maybe they didn't want people to see the "unlicensed" sign and figure they could carry so they hide it, so to speak. People looking for a red or blue sign will find the 30.06 sign instead, while the blue sign is in an obscure location.

I don't know that for a fact, but it seems logical that the illogical hoplophobic would do that.
The 2 are not related to each other at all, in any way. If they choose to post 30.06, they do. They don't have a choice in how and what they post as far as required TABC signage. But neither has anything to do with the other.

JKTex

Post by JKTex »

RKirkwood wrote:Our company held a group event at Topgolf this week. As soon as I got to the door on the left was a large 30.06 sign. Its amazing that its not 51%, large bar downstairs and bar upstairs. I check the TABC sight and its a Blue sign but it wasn't posted anywhere I could see. Don't they have to post a sign?
BTW, just because they have a bar doens't mean it's a RED license and required to post as such. It sounds like they may be posted just as they are required to as far as TABC is concerned.

The 30.06 sign has nothing to do with it though. But I already said that, above, and maybe again. :smilelol5:

Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

JKTex wrote:
Jaguar wrote:Yep, they have to post the sign even if it's blue.

The 2 are not related to each other at all, in any way. If they choose to post 30.06, they do. They don't have a choice in how and what they post as far as required TABC signage. But neither has anything to do with the other.
I realize that, but when I am going to a restaurant I check for the blue/red sign. Once I see a blue sign, I usually quit looking. Just figured they thought they would do what they can to be sure people like me see the 30.06 and know it's off limits. I did say maybe…

I don't like golf anyway, as The Walrus wrote, “waste of a perfectly good rifle range.” I also don't like places that post 30.06 signs, but being a golf place they are not in danger of loosing my business, can't loose what they never had.
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

LAYGO

Post by LAYGO »

I almost went to work for TG as a Web Dev Manager in Dallas HQ. Was all but extended the offer, then they just sort of fell off the radar. I wish I had known they were so sure about their gun stance. I'm gonna have call my buddy about this. He probably doesn't care & maybe even likes the posting because he's from Chicago.

But it raises the questions, can you really swing as well as you can w/o carrying while you are carrying? Not that I play golf at all, but I'm a putt putt world champion! ;)
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG
Anderson AR15 pistol w/Aimpoint H1

08/04/2013 CHL class taken - plastic rec'd 08/26! Renewed 2018

reh

Post by reh »

Went to TopGolf Austin this afternoon (7/16/15) for the first time with the family. We had a great time, but I happened to not be carrying and did not check signage on the way in. On the way out, my wife noticed the 30.06 sign on the door. Let me just say that there is no way that this is a 51% establishment; it's more of a grill-and-bar like Chili's than it is a 6th street bar, even with the two bars (from what I saw, food is definitely a bigger draw than alcohol).

With that said, we won't be going back again until the sign is gone as I do carry most of the time. In fact while there, I was even thinking of recommending it to my CEO as a company outing, but now that won't be happening.

I would think a lot of CHLers are golfers and am very surprised that this business is posted. A little research reveals this company was started in London and is now owned by a private investment group including Callaway Golf. The signage could very well be some legacy from the original London owners, but since I'm not a golfer I don't know anything about Callaway and their policies.

BTW - I will be writing a note to TopGolf.

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

reh wrote: . . .
I would think a lot of CHLers are golfers and am very surprised that this business is posted. . . .

BTW - I will be writing a note to TopGolf.
The Walrus wrote: A golf course is a waste of a perfectly good rifle range, but I would have reported them to TABC for the sign violation.
:iagree: With The Walrus.
Abraham wrote:I guess when it comes to golf, there's no protestation about 30.06..., but if it's a business other than golf, stand back, here comes the howls of protest.
Abraham, maybe the reason there are no howls of protest is that this is the first time anyone has noticed the signage, probably due to none of us going there in the first place.

Changing my tag line to a quote from Mark Twain: "Golf is a good walk, wasted."
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”