Went to Topgolf West Houston

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

User avatar

jmra
Senior Member
Posts: 10331
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:51 am
Location: Ellis County

Re: Went to Topgolf West Houston

Postby jmra » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:47 am

reh wrote:Went to TopGolf Austin this afternoon (7/16/15) for the first time with the family. We had a great time, but I happened to not be carrying and did not check signage on the way in. On the way out, my wife noticed the 30.06 sign on the door. Let me just say that there is no way that this is a 51% establishment; it's more of a grill-and-bar like Chili's than it is a 6th street bar, even with the two bars (from what I saw, food is definitely a bigger draw than alcohol).

With that said, we won't be going back again until the sign is gone as I do carry most of the time. In fact while there, I was even thinking of recommending it to my CEO as a company outing, but now that won't be happening.

I would think a lot of CHLers are golfers and am very surprised that this business is posted. A little research reveals this company was started in London and is now owned by a private investment group including Callaway Golf. The signage could very well be some legacy from the original London owners, but since I'm not a golfer I don't know anything about Callaway and their policies.

BTW - I will be writing a note to TopGolf.

I'm not surprised by the posting at all. CHL only makes up 3% of the state population and probably half of that number carry on a regular basis. According to a quick google search about 9% of the U.S. Population plays golf. So we are talking about 9% of 1.5% of the general population, about 32,000 people. When we take other things into consideration such as expense and distance from store location we lower that number of potential CHL customers even more, let's say down to 20,000. Now that may sound like a lot but it's not at all. In 2014 Top Golf of Dallas had almost 225,000 visitors. Add the Houston, SA, and Austin numbers to that total and 20,000 represents a very insignificant number to bean counters. Of course we haven't considered how many of those 20,000 would disarm and become a customer anyway - I'd be willing to bet half would. Now we're talking 10,000.
Until you start getting into double digit market share numbers companies are not going to consider your loss of business as significant.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member


TXBO
Banned
Posts: 632
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:02 pm

Re: Went to Topgolf West Houston

Postby TXBO » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:26 am

jmra wrote:
reh wrote:Went to TopGolf Austin this afternoon (7/16/15) for the first time with the family. We had a great time, but I happened to not be carrying and did not check signage on the way in. On the way out, my wife noticed the 30.06 sign on the door. Let me just say that there is no way that this is a 51% establishment; it's more of a grill-and-bar like Chili's than it is a 6th street bar, even with the two bars (from what I saw, food is definitely a bigger draw than alcohol).

With that said, we won't be going back again until the sign is gone as I do carry most of the time. In fact while there, I was even thinking of recommending it to my CEO as a company outing, but now that won't be happening.

I would think a lot of CHLers are golfers and am very surprised that this business is posted. A little research reveals this company was started in London and is now owned by a private investment group including Callaway Golf. The signage could very well be some legacy from the original London owners, but since I'm not a golfer I don't know anything about Callaway and their policies.

BTW - I will be writing a note to TopGolf.

I'm not surprised by the posting at all. CHL only makes up 3% of the state population and probably half of that number carry on a regular basis. According to a quick google search about 9% of the U.S. Population plays golf. So we are talking about 9% of 1.5% of the general population, about 32,000 people. When we take other things into consideration such as expense and distance from store location we lower that number of potential CHL customers even more, let's say down to 20,000. Now that may sound like a lot but it's not at all. In 2014 Top Golf of Dallas had almost 225,000 visitors. Add the Houston, SA, and Austin numbers to that total and 20,000 represents a very insignificant number to bean counters. Of course we haven't considered how many of those 20,000 would disarm and become a customer anyway - I'd be willing to bet half would. Now we're talking 10,000.
Until you start getting into double digit market share numbers companies are not going to consider your loss of business as significant.


Top Golf attracts customers that I'd guess don't identify themselves as golfers, much like miniature golf. Not that that belittles your point.


reh
Junior Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:45 pm
Location: Austin

Re: Went to Topgolf West Houston

Postby reh » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:00 pm

TXBO wrote:Top Golf attracts customers that I'd guess don't identify themselves as golfers, much like miniature golf. Not that that belittles your point.

TXBO is correct. I'm no golfer, nor is anyone in my family. Yet we took our 6 & 9 yr old grandsons there, and we ALL had a great time. This place does not necessarily cater to golfers (although I'm sure golfers love it), it's really set up and works more like a bowling alley.

The little bit of research I did shows that they're growing like crazy, based out of Dallas with 12 US locations and 10 more under construction.

However, I see the point that they're really not going to care much if I don't patronize them. I'd love to go again because it really is great family fun at a reasonable cost. But I definitely feel better when I'm at a crowded entertainment business knowing that there are probably some carriers there other than me.

User avatar

jmra
Senior Member
Posts: 10331
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:51 am
Location: Ellis County

Re: Went to Topgolf West Houston

Postby jmra » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:35 pm

reh wrote:
TXBO wrote:Top Golf attracts customers that I'd guess don't identify themselves as golfers, much like miniature golf. Not that that belittles your point.

TXBO is correct. I'm no golfer, nor is anyone in my family. Yet we took our 6 & 9 yr old grandsons there, and we ALL had a great time. This place does not necessarily cater to golfers (although I'm sure golfers love it), it's really set up and works more like a bowling alley.

The little bit of research I did shows that they're growing like crazy, based out of Dallas with 12 US locations and 10 more under construction.

However, I see the point that they're really not going to care much if I don't patronize them. I'd love to go again because it really is great family fun at a reasonable cost. But I definitely feel better when I'm at a crowded entertainment business knowing that there are probably some carriers there other than me.

Ok, instead of 9% of 1.5% you may be talking 15% of 1.5%. It is still an insignificant number when looking at their overall customer base.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member


winters
Banned
Posts: 325
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:14 pm

Re: Went to Topgolf West Houston

Postby winters » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:55 pm

i only attend top golf when someone else is paying. If they make 51% of their business from alcohol sales then i must really be stupid. Have you looked at their prices to golf and eat their food? no way they sell more alcohol.

User avatar

Blindref757
Senior Member
Posts: 502
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:40 pm
Location: Denton

Re: Went to Topgolf West Houston

Postby Blindref757 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:59 am

reh wrote:
TXBO wrote:Top Golf attracts customers that I'd guess don't identify themselves as golfers, much like miniature golf. Not that that belittles your point.
However, I see the point that they're really not going to care much if I don't patronize them. I'd love to go again because it really is great family fun at a reasonable cost.


When I went it was about $40/hour and the food and drink (and tip) was equally expensive. We easily spent $100 for 2 hours of fun for 3 people. I looked down the line and did the math (X 3 levels) and it blew my mind!


Gartz
Junior Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:13 pm

Re: Went to Topgolf West Houston

Postby Gartz » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:23 pm

LAYGO wrote:I almost went to work for TG as a Web Dev Manager in Dallas HQ. Was all but extended the offer, then they just sort of fell off the radar. I wish I had known they were so sure about their gun stance. I'm gonna have call my buddy about this. He probably doesn't care & maybe even likes the posting because he's from Chicago.

But it raises the questions, can you really swing as well as you can w/o carrying while you are carrying? Not that I play golf at all, but I'm a putt putt world champion! ;)

I play all the time with mine on, at a real course of course, I do yard work with it on, as a matter of fact it is always on, and I have even played basketball with it on. You just have to be sure you have a good retention holster! So guess what? These type of places do not get any of my business!


Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], GeekwithaGun, Yahoo [Bot] and 9 guests