Wife denied access to govt bldg for knife

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Arock
Posts in topic: 2

Wife denied access to govt bldg for knife

Post by Arock »

My wife who is a paralegal for a local criminal attorney was recently denied entrance to our local county government center for carrying a folding knife with a 2 7/8" blade.

My wife was stopped at a metal detector at the entrance of the bldg. That the county government bldg is also posted with 30.06 is another matter that has come to my attention but I am interested first in issues surrounding her ability to enter the bldg carrying a legal knife.

What are the legalities of this? The police officer managed to get under my wife's normally impervious hide and she asked me to check the statutes and I can find nothing that says the knife was illegal or prohibitable.

Can police make policy as they go along or should there be a written policy?

Greybeard
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Greybeard »

Courthouse in Denton is similar, although they do have signs to the effect "No weapons of any kind." Last time I was there, I'd left the carry revolver and similar size knife in the truck.

But, when it came time to put contents of my pockets in their little basket, I had forgotten a speed strip of 6 .357 cartridges they asked me to take back to vehicle ...
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Baytown

Post by Baytown »

I doubt the officer "made" policy. It is probably the building policy and he is acting as agent for the building and was told not to let any knives in.

Glenn
Winners never quit, and quitters never win; but, if you never win, and never quit, you're a moron.

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

Arock, just out of curiosity... if your wife is the paralegal, why is she asking you to research the statutes? Isn't that what she does for a living?

Kevin

Topic author
Arock
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Arock »

KBCraig wrote:Arock, just out of curiosity... if your wife is the paralegal, why is she asking you to research the statutes? Isn't that what she does for a living?

Kevin
Ha, ha!! :D That is what I asked her as well.

She normally deals with more common firearm legal issues; UCW, armed robbery, murder etc. Things they make billable hours from.

She says she asks me firearms questions so she has a place to start looking. Something about "unique perspective." :roll: This time it was about knives not firearms.

Arock
We remember the Alamo because against long odds we were forced give up one building.
Mexico remembers Texas.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”