Business with Incorrect TABC Signage

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
bigity
Posts in topic: 2

Business with Incorrect TABC Signage

Post by bigity »

What is the procedure/policy if a business posts the wrong type of TABC sign. If the state website shows a blue sign, but they posted a 51% red sign? Are we supposed to abide by the signage posted, or by the actual status of the business?

Is this typically a mistake, or are business putting up the wrong sign on purpose?
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

Hola Gato
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Business with Incorrect TABC Signage

Post by Hola Gato »

I would report the error to TABC. https://www.tabc.state.tx.us/enforcemen ... cation.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I didn't vote for Obama.
Somebody else did that.

TheDude

Post by TheDude »

Hola Gato wrote:I would report the error to TABC. https://www.tabc.state.tx.us/enforcemen ... cation.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:iagree:
I walked into the now out of business Majestic liquor store on Trinity Mills, only to find a %51 sign on the front door. Lol. I tried explaining to the manager only to have him tell me that the TABC posts those signs for them and that I would have to talk to them. :roll:

I emailed the TABC and got a response the next day saying that they had talked to the manager of the store and the sign was no longer up. The TABC seems to respond relatively quickly when you notify them.

Oh and to answer your question you go by their license not the sign. So you would be ok to walk past the sign but you really should report it.

birdman253

Post by birdman253 »

I have reported a couple of restaurants that had 51% signs posted incorrectly, and in a few days the signs magically were replaced with the "Blue" signs. I never got a response from TABC, but evidently they paid the managers a visit.

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

Btw there is an app for this also.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

suthdj wrote:Btw there is an app for this also.
Can you share? Inquiring minds want to know.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Pawpaw »

Vol Texan wrote:
suthdj wrote:Btw there is an app for this also.
Can you share? Inquiring minds want to know.
Looks like Android only: http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/mobileapps/
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

ralewis

Post by ralewis »

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/spirits ... 21055?mt=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's the Iphone app. Very useful.

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

TheDude wrote:
Hola Gato wrote:I would report the error to TABC. https://www.tabc.state.tx.us/enforcemen ... cation.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I walked into the now out of business Majestic liquor store on Trinity Mills, only to find a %51 sign on the front door. Lol. I tried explaining to the manager only to have him tell me that the TABC posts those signs for them and that I would have to talk to them. :roll:

I emailed the TABC and got a response the next day saying that they had talked to the manager of the store and the sign was no longer up. The TABC seems to respond relatively quickly when you notify them.

Oh and to answer your question you go by their license not the sign. So you would be ok to walk past the sign but you really should report it.
Even if posted incorrectly, go by the sign unless you like riding in the back seat of a police cruiser wearing handcuffs. The nice policeman will go by the sign and let the lawyers and judges sort it all out. It ain't worth the hassle or the 10-20 grand you will spend defending yourself. :tiphat:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

gringo pistolero

Post by gringo pistolero »

Definitely follow the sign if you're bad at concealing. :lol:
I sincerely apologize to anybody I offended by suggesting the Second Amendment also applies to The People who don't work for the government.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Pawpaw »

ralewis wrote:https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/spirits ... 21055?mt=8

How does that app help you report incorrect sinage? :headscratch
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
bigity

Post by bigity »

MoJo wrote:
TheDude wrote:

Even if posted incorrectly, go by the sign unless you like riding in the back seat of a police cruiser wearing handcuffs. The nice policeman will go by the sign and let the lawyers and judges sort it all out. It ain't worth the hassle or the 10-20 grand you will spend defending yourself. :tiphat:
That was my thought as well. I'll go somewhere else and make a note to report the incorrect sign. Thanks all.
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

android

Post by android »

There is no provision for a business to post the wrong sign. The TABC regs say the sign must match the sign color stated on the license.

I don't even bother talking to the business, just fill out the complaint form and email. If you include you email address, TABC will usually send a short response telling you the matter has been addressed.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Would this signage confusion not be confusion, but an attempt by an anti-gun store manager to keep guns out of his store?

At least, in some cases?

ralewis

Post by ralewis »

Pawpaw wrote:
ralewis wrote:https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/spirits ... 21055?mt=8

How does that app help you report incorrect sinage? :headscratch
It provides you with the information of what the signage should be, which is what's really important. Who cares if they post the wrong sign.

And I was specifically responding to a prior comment about 'android only' for an app.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”