Carrying at the Dallas Safari Club Convention?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
jbonner16
Posts in topic: 3

Carrying at the Dallas Safari Club Convention?

Post by jbonner16 »

I have been invited by some friends to attend the Dallas Safari Club's convention at the Dallas Convention Center next weekend. I found a discussion on ar15.com where the Dallas Safari Club had posted a 30.06 sign at the convention. I also saw in the same thread that people said the signs were invalid because the convention center is owned by the city of Dallas.(something about municipalities not being able to ban carry on their property) This thread was from 2010, any clarification on this would be helpful.

oljames3
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Carrying at the Dallas Safari Club Convention?

Post by oljames3 »

The convention center web site, http://www.dallasconventioncenter.com/contact-us/faqs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, sez:
==========
What is your Weapons Policy?
The Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center Dallas follows all applicable State and local laws regarding weapons in the facility. Weapons of any kind are not allowed at collegiate, religious, or high school events pursuant to Texas Penal Code (§46.03 & §46.035). Event organizers may further restrict weapons based upon their association’s/ organization’s rules and regulations.
==========

This is another instance in which I would not want to be the test case.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Rrash

Post by Rrash »

oljames3 wrote:The convention center web site, http://www.dallasconventioncenter.com/contact-us/faqs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, sez:
==========
What is your Weapons Policy?
The Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center Dallas follows all applicable State and local laws regarding weapons in the facility.
Weapons of any kind are not allowed at collegiate, religious, or high school events pursuant to Texas Penal Code (§46.03 & §46.035). Event organizers may further restrict weapons based upon their association’s/ organization’s rules and regulations.
==========

This is another instance in which I would not want to be the test case.
The Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center Dallas follows all applicable State and local laws regarding weapons in the facility.
Even if they posted a 30.06:
(e) It is an exception to the application of this section that the property on which the license holder carries a handgun is owned or leased by a governmental entity and is not a premises or other place on which the license holder is prohibited from carrying the handgun under Section 46.03 or 46.035.
The Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center is owned and managed by the City of Dallas.
Have them explain how they are "following all laws".

goose

Post by goose »

I realize that this is the cliche answer, apologies, but it really does sound like a gun related organization that doesn't want my gun money. A hunting organization does not have to be a pro-2A organization. But they ought to at least like they are.

On a positive note, the last gun show I went to at NRG/Reliant stadium was not "fake" posted 30.06. I was happy to see that. Or not see it. I actually assumed that someone forgot to put up the sign but that was okay by me.
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

Topic author
jbonner16

Post by jbonner16 »

oljames3, Rrash, thanks for the feedback. Goose, I find it very frustrating that a hunting club sees fit to restrict my rights. Especially since every time I see some bimbo blowing daddy's money on a safari I may never be able to afford, I have to tell a bunch of liberal pansies to get a life (ok I enjoy annoying liberals but that's beside the point).

ScooterSissy

Post by ScooterSissy »

jbonner16 wrote:oljames3, Rrash, thanks for the feedback. Goose, I find it very frustrating that a hunting club sees fit to restrict my rights. Especially since every time I see some bimbo blowing daddy's money on a safari I may never be able to afford, I have to tell a bunch of liberal pansies to get a life (ok I enjoy annoying liberals but that's beside the point).
If I may, let me fix that for you:
I find it very frustrating that a hunting club sees fit to illegally attempt to restrict my rights.

Topic author
jbonner16

Post by jbonner16 »

^yes, that

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

Rrash wrote: Have them explain how they are "following all laws".
How they explained it seems valid to me:
1) Weapons of any kind are not allowed at collegiate, religious, or high school events pursuant to Texas Penal Code (§46.03 & §46.035)

That's valid. The only question in my mind is the "religious" event restriction.
#1 implies that if the circumstances are other than #1 that weapons are allowed, which seems fair..

2) Event organizers may further restrict weapons based upon their association’s/ organization’s rules and regulations.

Their event, their rules.. Can't the event organizer ask anyone to leave who violates the rules of a property that they have control of? IE - you decide stage a KKK rally inside they can force you to leave. They have the right to ask anyone to leave for any reason that they see fit. It'd be a more appropriate action to post a "no guns" sign - but there is no requirement for that.

Posting 30.06 where it is invalid is not illegal. In fact, part of the problem is that posting it incorrectly is not enforceable at all. Nothing you can do about it other than complain to some city attorney that may or may not choose to take action. It just muddies the water for law enforcement and they're probably protected if they arrest on it. I know it's not going to result in a conviction, but the presence of that magic sign makes me nervous enough about what a LEO might do that I won't carry past them... Maybe you're a little tougher than I am.

gemini

Post by gemini »

I went. Carried away. One of my sons went. Carried away. I met several friends there. I know
they carry 24/7, they carried away. None of us had planned a protest or a "I wanna be a test case".
Guess what happened ? Nothing. No one said anything to any of us. We each went our separate
ways through the morning. Concealed is concealed.
Everyone. Have a good, safe week.

TexAg08
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TexAg08 »

Bump for the upcoming show this weekend. Sorry if this has been addressed already, but nothing came up in search. Being 3 years from the original post, does anybody have any updates on if they posted last year or plan to keep posting? I see the convention centers website has wording about the handgun policy stating that

"Licensed handguns (both concealed carry and open carry) are permitted on premise, as allowed by state law, unless the type of event being held at the KBHCCD falls under an exception that would prohibit a person with a license to carry a handgun at the event. Any exceptions will be determined on a case-by-case basis by the Director and will be in accordance with state law."

Has DSC been granted an exception? Did they have security scanning everyone last year?

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Are they Fudds or not?

kw5kw

Post by kw5kw »

When my kids go to the safari club they go to drink.

I wouldn't be caught with a weapon in that event for that reason.

Several times they had to be "poured" into an uber to get home.
Russ
kw5kw

Retired DPS Communications Operator PCO III January 2014.

TexAg08
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TexAg08 »

Not to offend anyone, but I’m not concerned with personal opinions of whether it’s ok to carry their or not. They must be posted 30.06/30.07 or 51% in order to keep me from carrying. I am looking for factual statements of:

A. Do they have legally posted signs?
B. Is there security at the entrances?
C. Are their metal detectors or security wanding/checking people?

Thanks

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”