Is it OK to CC at a Texas State Park

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
BCGlocker
Posts in topic: 1

Is it OK to CC at a Texas State Park

Post by BCGlocker »

I seemed to remember from my CHL class that it is OK to CC at a Texas State Park. Can someone confirm this? How about City, National Park and BLM land?
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor
USCCA Certified Instructor
Range Master Certified Instructor

Weg

Re: Is it OK to CC at a Texas State Park

Post by Weg »

Assuming all the locations you listed are located in Texas, the answer is yes. I.E. - You can carry in City Parks, National Parks, State Parks, and on BLM land in Texas. Other states will have differing laws. You cannot carry on Army Corps. of Engineer Parks/Lakes in Texas though.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

:iagree: That Army COE land is the only thing you gotta watch out for and is not always well marked. I've been going out to walk and mountain bike at Grapevine lake for close to 30 years and haven't ever noticed a sign informing me of COE land and where it begins. I haven't been there in about 5-6 years, so not sure if it is better marked now or not.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Lake Whitney SP is another interesting one. As far as I've been able to figure out, the land in the SP is under COE controlt. Cedar Hill SP, on the the other hand, had land which was deeded to the State (Penn Farm). The area around the lake is COE but there are hiking trails etc. where it could be argued that the COE is not in control. Speaking to the TPW rangers at Cedar Hill, I received the answer that it was State land and that CC is permitted.

On State parks like Mineral Wells or Dinosaur Valley, where the water is not under the control of the COE, I don't think there is any question. But many, like Ray Roberts, Lake Lewisville, Lake Grapevine are defintely COE.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Sport Coach

Post by Sport Coach »

Executive Directive Order #98-001 signed July 8, 1998 into Texas law allows concealed carry. Some of the parks still have old signs that either say "no discharge of firearms permitted" or no firearms permitted. You have to be sure it's a state park as others have cautioned.
“Hope is an expensive commodity. It makes better sense to be prepared.” - Thucydides

mtnthundr2

Post by mtnthundr2 »

Sport Coach wrote:Executive Directive Order #98-001 signed July 8, 1998 into Texas law allows concealed carry. Some of the parks still have old signs that either say "no discharge of firearms permitted" or no firearms permitted. You have to be sure it's a state park as others have cautioned.

Thank you Sport Coach, this is good to know! I've been hiking at a state park lately, there is a sign by the curb as you're driving in that reads, "No Firearms", I was not very comfortable hiking into the woods, 2 miles on a secluded trail, without my firearm. I'll breathe easier while hiking those trails, now that I know I can legally carry concealed, thanks for sharing that info!
5-28-14 Upload documents - 6-26-14 plastic in hand
~ Never let your fear decide your fate ~

LSUTiger

Post by LSUTiger »

I just realized something very interesting. The Bayou Rifles Addicks range is leased to BR by the Army COE. I don't know exactly what the lease agreement says but it must allow for CC as I would surmise that it is done regularly by many. After all it is a shooting range.
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”