How to report improper §30.06 signs

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 6

Re: How to report improper §30.06 signs

Post by TexasCajun »

SRO1911 wrote:The shiny new courthouse in taylor county has been posted since the day it opened.
Our fine all knowing county commissioner's have met and decided to blatantly disregard both the letter and the spirit of the law.
[url]http://www.reporternews.com/news/local/ ... obile/[url]
The sooner you begin the process to have the signs removed, the sooner the facility will land on the AG's waiting list.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

KC5AV
Posts in topic: 3

Post by KC5AV »

KC5AV wrote:http://www.marshallnewsmessenger.com/ne ... n-new-law/

Harrison county commissioners court to meet tomorrow morning for a workshop on the new open carry law.
"To have a workshop is important so everybody can air their concerns and we come to a consensus as to how we will apply and follow state law," he added. "We intend to follow the law, the intent of the legislature.

"As a court and a county, we will follow the law," Taylor stressed.

Following the workshop, the court will take action regarding Texas Penal Code Section 46.03 and posting of signs at county courthouses pursuant to Texas Penal Code Section 30.06 and other sections.
This article has a very good description of §30.06, and absolutely no mention of §30.07. I'm not surprised.
And here are the results of their workshop. So many 'supporters of the 2nd amendment' who want to keep licensees out so that everyone is safe.
http://www.marshallnewsmessenger.com/ne ... pen-carry/
NRA lifetime member

amtank
Posts in topic: 1

Post by amtank »

I feel the need to point out the fact that statistically a Texas CHL holder is several times less likely to commit a crime than a peace officer in the state of Texas.

bigity
Posts in topic: 4

Post by bigity »

Are there stats/a study for that somewhere? I know DPS stats show that for CHL vs. general population, but I haven't seen one for CHL vs. LEO.
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

amtank wrote:I feel the need to point out the fact that statistically a Texas CHL holder is several times less likely to commit a crime than a peace officer in the state of Texas.
There are only about 60k Texas Peace Officers vs 914k LTC holders, just FYI
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

casp625
Posts in topic: 2

Post by casp625 »

nightmare69 wrote:
amtank wrote:I feel the need to point out the fact that statistically a Texas CHL holder is several times less likely to commit a crime than a peace officer in the state of Texas.
Um, your statement further illustrates amtank's point, which accomplished the exact opposite of your posting. :tiphat:

Mel

Post by Mel »

casp625 wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:
Um, your statement further illustrates amtank's point, which accomplished the exact opposite of your posting. :tiphat:
What does the numbers of people involved have anything to do with their likelihood of committing a crime?
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

NTexCopRetired

Post by NTexCopRetired »

The numbers of people involved have nothing to do with any particular person committing a crime but everything to do with the likelihood that a particular person from a group of people will, from a statistical viewpoint. If 10 police officers commit a crime and 10 LTC holders commit a crime, one can say that is even. But 10 out of 60 is a lot different than 10 out of 700.Would you agree that the numbers of people make a big difference in that case? Maybe I misunderstand your question?

tulipperson

Post by tulipperson »

I went to a restaurant that had a large bar component to it. They had two red 51% signs posted, but no entry on the TABC website as having a license. I submitted a complaint form because I have read about other people doing the same online, but I am not sure TABC is going to go care if the location has no license - not licensed, not their jurisdiction? I get this impression because the complaint form specifically says it's for "licensed" businesses.

It seemed possible, but unlikely, that they actually got 51% of their money from alcohol. Especially since they're only open at lunch for four hours every day of the week.

Anyone know about this?

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

tulipperson wrote:I went to a restaurant that had a large bar component to it. They had two red 51% signs posted, but no entry on the TABC website as having a license. I submitted a complaint form because I have read about other people doing the same online, but I am not sure TABC is going to go care if the location has no license - not licensed, not their jurisdiction? I get this impression because the complaint form specifically says it's for "licensed" businesses.

It seemed possible, but unlikely, that they actually got 51% of their money from alcohol. Especially since they're only open at lunch for four hours every day of the week.

Anyone know about this?
I will bet they have a license. It may be listed as a different name than the resturant. Try searching for the street number and the city name and see if that shows anything.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

tulipperson

Post by tulipperson »

I searched by street number and city, by the business names of businesses previously at the same address, by the names of the owners (as per newspaper), and multiple variations of the location name. The business that was at the same location previously (a few months ago) had their license suspended. Not sure if that means anything.

rotor

Post by rotor »

Went to the Wichita Falls Gun and Knife show today and it was posted 30.06 and 30.07 inside the building but just before you enter the gun show. This is at the Multi Purpose Event Center, City owned unless I hear otherwise. Talked to the sheriff deputies at the door and asked how could it be posted since it was city owned property. "It's a private event" they said. Realized it was no use discussing with them as they were not knowledgeable about the law. It's a Saturday and the event is 2 days. Not a lot that can be done here. Can not reach the person who puts on the shows, joetom@joetomwhite.com, but have an email to the city manager who is very good. See what happens but sure ruined my day. Hope the vendors note that they are going to lose business and I usually am there with $1,000 if I see anything worth getting. Went to the site Charles mentions at the beginning of this post and downloaded the forms to start a complaint. My first issue is the legality of the signs on City owned property. There is a moral issue though of someone making money off of a gun show and banning licensed people from carrying.

ELB
Posts in topic: 12

Post by ELB »

rotor wrote:... Went to the site Charles mentions at the beginning of this post and downloaded the forms to start a complaint. ....
Good for you. The onus is on the city to make sure signs are not posted so going to the city manager (and sending your complaint to him) is the right route, altho I agree with you about the gun shows not permitting licensed carry.
USAF 1982-2005

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 7

Post by AJSully421 »

rotor wrote:Went to the Wichita Falls Gun and Knife show today and it was posted 30.06 and 30.07 inside the building but just before you enter the gun show. This is at the Multi Purpose Event Center, City owned unless I hear otherwise. Talked to the sheriff deputies at the door and asked how could it be posted since it was city owned property. "It's a private event" they said. Realized it was no use discussing with them as they were not knowledgeable about the law. It's a Saturday and the event is 2 days. Not a lot that can be done here. Can not reach the person who puts on the shows, joetom@joetomwhite.com, but have an email to the city manager who is very good. See what happens but sure ruined my day. Hope the vendors note that they are going to lose business and I usually am there with $1,000 if I see anything worth getting. Went to the site Charles mentions at the beginning of this post and downloaded the forms to start a complaint. My first issue is the legality of the signs on City owned property. There is a moral issue though of someone making money off of a gun show and banning licensed people from carrying.
The Fort Worth gun show used to have the same thing. It is at a city-owned venue. They now post a sign that says your entry fee is a revocable agreement based on you not having any loaded weapons. I conceal.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”