Grapefest 2015

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

silver x0ne
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Grapefest 2015

Post by silver x0ne »

I was there on Thursday and all I saw was a no handguns, knives, purses, backpacks, etc. type sign. I did not see a 30.06 but they have people at the entrances doing bag checks and so forth. I was not actively looking for a 30.06 though.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

glock27 wrote:By asking you opened yourself up and received verbal notice so now you have to abide. If you dont see a sign carry on, dont ask dont tell.

Unless there was a valid sign of course

What are they posting? The city? Somehow I don't think that would fly.

Each individual venue could post if they wanted to, but I doubt they did. Isn't this just an open area of downtown that's roped off. Presumably the city owns the streets, so 30.06 wouldn't valid. Anybody want to call them on it?
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

lfinsr

Post by lfinsr »

So how is this going to wash out regarding the new law effective 9/1? The duration of the event makes it so they can post 30.06 with impunity. This also includes gun shows.
My guns won't be illegal, they'll be undocumented. :thumbs2:

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

lfinsr wrote:So how is this going to wash out regarding the new law effective 9/1? The duration of the event makes it so they can post 30.06 with impunity. This also includes gun shows.
Well $10k is a lot for smaller cities. Also, if they try to "enforce it" then they are opening themselves up to a lawsuit at the state or possibly even federal level. You can't just make stuff up and get away with it (yet). Open carry will eventually force the issue.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

ScottDLS wrote:
lfinsr wrote:So how is this going to wash out regarding the new law effective 9/1? The duration of the event makes it so they can post 30.06 with impunity. This also includes gun shows.
Well $10k is a lot for smaller cities. Also, if they try to "enforce it" then they are opening themselves up to a lawsuit at the state or possibly even federal level. You can't just make stuff up and get away with it (yet). Open carry will eventually force the issue.
Grapevine gots money. Lots of it. A significant portion of DFW airport is on Grapevine land, and the city gets a portion of the taxes/fees the airport collects from various sources..... like landing fees, etc., etc., etc.

Remember, this is the city whose police dept was completely willing to arrest, and whose prosecutor was willing to prosecute, CHLs for carrying past the 30.06 signs at the Mall during the years which said signs were invalid and unenforceable.

I used to go to Grapefest when I first moved here to Grapevine. I stopped when the city started posting invalid 30.06 signs at the entry gates......which were located out in the middle of Main St.....not even next to, let alone in a city-owned building. Signs which I assume were - just as for the Grapevine Mills mall - unenforceable according to the letter of the law. I used to love living in Grapevine. Not so much anymore..... The city fathers talk like they are conservatives, but they're not.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

ELB

Post by ELB »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
lfinsr wrote:...
Remember, this is the city whose police dept was completely willing to arrest, and whose prosecutor was willing to prosecute, CHLs for carrying past the 30.06 signs at the Mall during the years which said signs were invalid and unenforceable...
This is exactly who the new law is for, and they will try to skirt around it because of the notice period and the short duration of the event. Mr. Cotton noted in a thread elsewhere that even in these cases, send the notice and upload it to his database for use in the next legislature.
USAF 1982-2005

Glockster

Post by Glockster »

ELB wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
lfinsr wrote:...
Remember, this is the city whose police dept was completely willing to arrest, and whose prosecutor was willing to prosecute, CHLs for carrying past the 30.06 signs at the Mall during the years which said signs were invalid and unenforceable...
This is exactly who the new law is for, and they will try to skirt around it because of the notice period and the short duration of the event. Mr. Cotton noted in a thread elsewhere that even in these cases, send the notice and upload it to his database for use in the next legislature.

Wonder how many may actually leave signs up - especially where they tend to hold periodic things there. Maybe they'll get lazy and just leave them up for the next one.
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:The city fathers talk like they are conservatives, but they're not.
Oh, you mean they're contemporary Republicans. :evil2:
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

VMI77 wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:The city fathers talk like they are conservatives, but they're not.
Oh, you mean they're contemporary Republicans. :evil2:
Yep! :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

lfinsr

Post by lfinsr »

Dragging an old thread out of hibernation...

For future use it should be noted the 30.06/07 signs were conspicuously missing last weekend at Grapefest. There was mention of prohibiting illegal weapons but I don't remember the exact wording. Hopefully they've seen the error of their ways. :cheers2:

ETA: That will be my last trip. It was an absolute zoo with far too many people in too small of a space.
My guns won't be illegal, they'll be undocumented. :thumbs2:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”