Banks, etc.

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Bubba
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Bubba »

[quote="BobCat"]Bubba,

I stored a revolver and a pistol in a safe deposit box in a bank, years ago. Was going to be "gone" out-of-town for an extended period and wanted the guns to be safe. No one ever said anything. I brought them in a brief case and no one saw them.

These days, I don't know if there are metal detectors at banks or what.

Thanks for the reply Bobcat, I was just curious. Never seen metal detectors in the banks that I use. That would sure be a problem for me !
:)

govtman
Posts in topic: 3

Post by govtman »

There is a Washington Mutual branch in Houston (on Bellaire and Wilcrest) that has metal detectors at the 2 sets of doors to get in. If it detects anything, you will be locked out. Besides that branch, I have never seen metal detectors at a bank.
“A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

mr fixit
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mr fixit »

govtman wrote:There is a Washington Mutual branch in Houston (on Bellaire and Wilcrest) that has metal detectors at the 2 sets of doors to get in. If it detects anything, you will be locked out. Besides that branch, I have never seen metal detectors at a bank.
How can that be???
YOu mean you cant get in with change in your pocket?? Pens in your shirt pocket? How 'bout a pocket knife? What about a briefcase?

Methinks you must be mistaken.

govtman

Post by govtman »

mr fixit wrote:
govtman wrote:There is a Washington Mutual branch in Houston (on Bellaire and Wilcrest) that has metal detectors at the 2 sets of doors to get in. If it detects anything, you will be locked out. Besides that branch, I have never seen metal detectors at a bank.
How can that be???
YOu mean you cant get in with change in your pocket?? Pens in your shirt pocket? How 'bout a pocket knife? What about a briefcase?

Methinks you must be mistaken.
Obviously, I mean guns, knives, and things of that sort and not pocket change.

You go in through one set of doors and wait for it to close and then you walk through the metal detector and then it will either give you a red or green light. If green, the second door will open. If red, the second door remains locked but you can go back out the first door.

I have seen it in action. On one occasion, I saw a police officer try to pass through with his firearm and it refused to let him through and the tellers had to override the machine to let him in.
“A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

mr fixit
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mr fixit »

I do not doubt what you saw, but I do find it hard to believe it would work. I have been around cops for over 15 years, and have some in the family. We have discussed metal detectors several times.
A metal detector can only detect that metal is present, be it change in your pocket, pens, knives, guns, jewelry, what ever. It doesn't know what it is. The machine is set to "alert" a certain amount of metal, or certain sensitivity. You can easily carry enough coins/pens/jewelry that would amount to more than a small gun.

If the machine goes off do they search you? Where do you put the metal that set it off?

govtman

Post by govtman »

mr fixit wrote:I do not doubt what you saw, but I do find it hard to believe it would work. I have been around cops for over 15 years, and have some in the family. We have discussed metal detectors several times.
A metal detector can only detect that metal is present, be it change in your pocket, pens, knives, guns, jewelry, what ever. It doesn't know what it is. The machine is set to "alert" a certain amount of metal, or certain sensitivity. You can easily carry enough coins/pens/jewelry that would amount to more than a small gun.

If the machine goes off do they search you? Where do you put the metal that set it off?
Yes, I understand how a metal detector works. However, I have never seen an employee search a customer to see what is setting it off. This isn't to say that they don't do it, though. Perhaps they would make you use the drive-through teller instead. I really don't know. I don't carry pocket change, wear much jewelry, or much of anything else that is metal, so I've never been locked out.

Bubba
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Bubba »

Washington Mutual huh ? I'll remember that, never been to one and I don't live in that area but if I do change banks, it's something to consider. They don't need my business !
BTW, I called my Credit Union where the incident at the ATM occurred (also with 30.06 postings), was trasferred to the Facility Manager, got the voice mail, left a message with name and numbers (including cell) and have never received a return call. That was over 3 weeks ago. Sounds like they just don't care.
:(

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”