Is Your Church / Synagogue / Mosque Posting 30.07?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

WildBill
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Is Your Church / Synagogue / Mosque Posting 30.07?

Post by WildBill »

Oldgringo wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:Uhm,....er,...what is an Evangelican Christian? This term has been mentioned more than once in this thread and I am curious what/who it pertains to.
Thanks be to WildBill and Richbirdhunter, it appears that being of the First United Methodist persuasion qualifies one to be an Evangelican Christian, yes?
Yes!
Oh Happy Day.... :woohoo
I was attempting to simply answer your question, not start a discussion on religion and open carry. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 16

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Richbirdhunter wrote:I should slow down some on my OC thoughts and give more time to let it blend into society.
Wise words for all of us. It seems like most of us are in favor of it, but disagree only in how to deal with [a] businesses that don't want us, and whether or not churches should post signage. I think that giving things a bit of time to calm down and see how they play out is a good idea.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

mojo84
Posts in topic: 7

Post by mojo84 »

I should slow down some on my OC thoughts and give more time to let it blend into society.
That's a novel idea.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Richbirdhunter
Posts in topic: 19

Post by Richbirdhunter »

mojo84 wrote:
I should slow down some on my OC thoughts and give more time to let it blend into society.
That's a novel idea.
It's really more of a short story "rlol"
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

TXlaw1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TXlaw1 »

Richbirdhunter wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
That's a novel idea.
It's really more of a short story "rlol"
Me too - "rlol" "rlol"
Jesus said, "And the one who has no sword must sell his cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36 NET) Also, Jesus said, "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own homestead, his possessions are undisturbed"(Luke 11:21 NAS)

oljames3
Posts in topic: 9

Post by oljames3 »

I bought my first civilian pistol two months after I got my CHL. That was Wed. Thu-Sun I was carrying openly in NM and CO. I have come to understand that Texas and Texans will not adjust as quickly as I expected. So I will go about life as I have; carrying openly where I can, concealing as the situation dictates, and disarming only when I must. I will be avoiding 30.06 locations as much as possible.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Oldgringo »

WildBill wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:Uhm,....er,...what is an Evangelican Christian? This term has been mentioned more than once in this thread and I am curious what/who it pertains to.
Thanks be to WildBill and Richbirdhunter, it appears that being of the First United Methodist persuasion qualifies one to be an Evangelican Christian, yes?
Yes!
Oh Happy Day.... :woohoo
I was attempting to simply answer your question, not start a discussion on religion and open carry. :tiphat:
I know. Neither was I. Thank you for the clarification.

The Annoyed Man

A Christian who evangelizes.....specifically the gospel of Christ.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/evangelical
Full Definition of evangelical
  1. of, relating to, or being in agreement with the Christian gospel especially as it is presented in the four Gospels
  2. protestant
  3. emphasizing salvation by faith in the atoning death of Jesus Christ through personal conversion, the authority of Scripture, and the importance of preaching as contrasted with ritual
    1. capitalized : of or relating to the Evangelical Church in Germany
    2. often capitalized : of, adhering to, or marked by fundamentalism : fundamentalist
    3. often capitalized : low church
  4. marked by militant or crusading zeal : evangelistic <the evangelical ardor of the movement's leaders — Amos Vogel>
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Oldgringo »

The Annoyed Man wrote:

1. of, relating to, or being in agreement with the Christian gospel especially as it is presented in the four Gospels
  2. protestant
  3. emphasizing salvation by faith in the atoning death of Jesus Christ through personal conversion, the authority of Scripture, and the importance of preaching as contrasted with ritual
    2. often capitalized : of, adhering to, or marked by fundamentalism : fundamentalist
  4. marked by militant or crusading zeal : evangelistic <the evangelical ardor of the movement's leaders — Amos Vogel>
Thank you, TAM. I was curious how, or even if, an Evangelistic Christian differed from the core protestant religions; e.g., Methodist, Lutheran, Baptist, Church of Christ, etc? I definitely do not want to start any kind of discussion on which is better or more real.

The Annoyed Man

Oldgringo wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

2. protestant
Thank you, TAM. I was curious how, or even if, an Evangelistic Christian differed from the core protestant religions; e.g., Methodist, Lutheran, Baptist, Church of Christ, etc? I definitely do not want to start any kind of discussion on which is better or more real.
Evangelism not so much in the core doctrines of Christianity (divinity of Christ, etc., etc.) as it is in the willingness to share the gospel with non-believers so that some of them may become believers (Mark 16:15). The word "evangelism" has been used to describe Islam as well, not just Christianity. Evangelism is as much about the practice of a faith as it is about growing that faith through the conversion of non-believers into believers.

So, when applied to Christianity specifically, there are two basic measures of evangelistic character:
  1. One measure of evangelism is the extent to which a denomination regards the Bible as the inerrant and inspired Word of God in all of its particulars......whether or not those particulars are culturally popular (i.e. regarding issues such as gay marriage, abortion rights, etc.). In that regard, evangelical Christianity is essentially socially conservative. It is important for people to understand that this is primarily about personal morality, but it can overflow into the political life of the believer. Hence, evangelical Christians are often, but not always, politically conservative as well, since conservative politics plays into that socially conservative wheelhouse. For me personally, I have been describing myself as a "Liberative Conservatarian", which means that I espouse personal social conservatism, but that I recognize the primacy of the Constitution over American politics and law and thus have a more libertarian political outlook. In that regard, I would hope that people look at my life, see the mark of my faith on my life, and understand that I am less about restricting their own "rights" than I am about promoting the gospel of Christ.
  2. Another measure of evangelism might be to ask how much of your (or anyone else's) congregational efforts, programs, resources, and money are expended in the work of adding to the church (defined as the body of believers, not the building). I list those things - effort, program, resource, money - as really all being the same thing. A (fiscally) poor church can still be strongly evangelical because it offsets its lack of funds with fervor in other outreach areas. The more of a church's aggregate resources are devoted to outreach to non-believers, the more evangelical that church is. Church's which view themselves as hotels for saints rather than hospitals for sinners, ministering to the saved while ignoring the lost, are not very evangelical at all.
There are other markers of evangelism, but the principle idea is that it is both fundamental in doctrine, and outreaching, seeking to spread the faith's message for the purposes of bringing people into the faith. Thus, it is a word which is also commonly applied to Islam, which also meets those descriptives, as it is to some segments of Christianity.

Edited to add: Evangelism is NEVER about conversion at the point of a sword. Thus, militant Islamist violent Jihad is NOT evangelism. But, a few weeks ago, my wife and I had a pleasant dinner with Beiruty, and because I was curious to know more about Islam and the differences between various sects of Islam, the entire conversation was about the tenets of Islam. During that conversation, Beiruty was very passionate about his faith, and whether or not it was intentional (I suspect it was, because he is a faithful Muslim), he was evangelizing on behalf of his faith. But it was a peaceful conversation, and my wife and I were never threatened with earthly consequences for failing to be converted. (Maybe some day, I'll have a chance to tell him about the Jesus I know.)

#TINVOWOOT

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
There are other markers of evangelism, but the principle idea is that it is both fundamental in doctrine, and outreaching, seeking to spread the faith's message for the purposes of bringing people into the faith. Thus, it is a word which is also commonly applied to Islam, which also meets those descriptives, as it is to some segments of Christianity.
Post Deleted
Last edited by WildBill on Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member

Richbirdhunter
Posts in topic: 19

Post by Richbirdhunter »

WildBill wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
So saying that you are an evangelical JW or LDS is redundant.
I would not say that. JW's use their own version of the bible (nwt) and LDS use the book of mormon. Both of which deviates from the tenants and Christianity.

I'm not sure what forum rules we may or may not be breaking on this thread but leading people to Jesus is important.
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Richbirdhunter wrote:
WildBill wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

I would not say that. JW's use their own version of the bible (nwt) and LDS use the book of mormon. Both of which deviates from the tenants and Christianity.

I'm not sure what forum rules we may or may not be breaking on this thread but leading people to Jesus is important.
Thank you. I did not intend to get into that discussion so I will delete my post. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

The Annoyed Man

WildBill wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
WildBill wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

Thank you. I did not intend to get into that discussion so I will delete my post. :tiphat:
And I only meant to say that "evangelism" extends beyond "mere" Christianity (I love me some CS Lewis).

Another way to look at is this, without restricting it to specific religions or sects, if evangelistic character is described as being both fundamentalist and outreaching ........

The Macro level:
It is pretty much an article of doctrine for the "fundamental" brands of all religions to seek to export that faith to the unbelieving world. So, does your particular brand of your particular faith go looking for the potential convert? If yes, then it is evangelical. Does your brand of your faith wait for the potential convert to come to you? If yes, then it is not evangelical.

The Micro level:
And then, within any given brand of any given faith, there are individual congregations. Within the context of your brand of your faith, does your individual congregation seek to export your faith to an unbelieving world? If yes, then your individual congregation has an evangelical bent. Does your individual congregation wait for the potential convert to come to you? If yes, then your individual congregation is not particularly evangelical.

The Individual level:
Do you seek to preach your faith's message to nonbelievers? Then you are evangelical. Do you believe that it is not your calling to preach your faith's message to nonbelievers? Than you are not evangelical.

#TINVOWOOT

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by NotRPB »

C-dub wrote:
NotRPB wrote:Disciples of Christ in Burnet posted a nice polite sign (I forgot my phone to take a photo)

"As a consideration for our... please do not carry openly... 30.07.... Official 30.07 notice will be presented to you upon entering.... "

(and inside were cards with the proper language, so you could take one if so inclined)

So concealed carry is still ok there.
Are these cards just sitting there for people to pick up if they want to or are they actually being handed out? If the former, I don't think that is effective notice.
The 30.07 cards sit there on a table, I'm sure if someone open carried, one would be handed to them ... Concealed Carry is still welcomed, and done there.

I was amused at the sign on the door which attempts to be a really polite non-offensive "notice" that "effective notice" would be given though the polite sign itself almost states that it is intentionally not "legal/effective notice" in itself, but yet informing that effective notice will be given if needed ... and intentionally refraining from hinting at any restriction on concealed carry, which is done/permissible and welcomed there.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”