Texas police say they'll take new open carry law in stride

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

mojo84
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Texas police say they'll take new open carry law in stride

Post by mojo84 »

Funny how Acevedo was all doom and gloom trying to kill the bill, now it's something they will take in stride. Pretty incredible how some can switch from lying, innuendos and hyperbole to just taking something in stride.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

Liberalism 101. They lie.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

puma guy
Posts in topic: 4

Post by puma guy »

I was at my credit union this morning and asked the LEO working security if he had any concerns about OC. His thoughts were that OC would invite criminals to target them first, but it's the law. Then he said something that was just zany, at least to me. He was worried that OC would lead to more road rage. I offered respectfully that CHL's (now LTC) were very law abiding less likely to commit a crime than even an LEO.

He said neither OC or CC would be allowed in the CU since it's illegal to carry a gun into a bank and pointed to the no firearms allowed sign. When I said I said they'll have to put up both a 30.06 and 30.07 signs to prevent it he replied they really don't need any sign because it's prohibited by federal law to carry a gun into a bank. :banghead: I asked if he knew the statute, which he didn't of course. He also said you can't take a firearm into any place that sells liquor either. :headscratch At that point the girl finally had my card re-PIN'd so I bid him a "Stay Safe" and a Happy New Year!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

mommagamber

Post by mommagamber »

I have found that cops really don't know the law. :banghead:
I conceal carry because I choose not to be a victim.

Glockster

Post by Glockster »

mojo84 wrote:Funny how Acevedo was all doom and gloom trying to kill the bill, now it's something they will take in stride. Pretty incredible how some can switch from lying, innuendos and hyperbole to just taking something in stride.
:iagree:
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

tiger1279
Posts in topic: 2

Post by tiger1279 »

puma guy wrote:
He said neither OC or CC would be allowed in the CU since it's illegal to carry a gun into a bank and pointed to the no firearms allowed sign. When I said I said they'll have to put up both a 30.06 and 30.07 signs to prevent it he replied they really don't need any sign because it's prohibited by federal law to carry a gun into a bank. :banghead: I asked if he knew the statute, which he didn't of course. He also said you can't take a firearm into any place that sells liquor either. :headscratch At that point the girl finally had my card re-PIN'd so I bid him a "Stay Safe" and a Happy New Year!
I found the same thing when I was talking to the branch manager of my local bank. He also thought it was a federal law that you couldn't carry a gun into a bank. When I informed him that there was no such law and, unless posted with the proper signs, anyone with a license could walk into the bank with their weapon. He was shocked at this. I suspect that once banks start to come to grips with the new OC law they are going to start putting up the proper signs required. OC may well turn out to be counter productive for license holders.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

puma guy,

Was he a Rent-A-Cop or an LEO?

gljjt

Post by gljjt »

tiger1279 wrote:
puma guy wrote:
I found the same thing when I was talking to the branch manager of my local bank. He also thought it was a federal law that you couldn't carry a gun into a bank. When I informed him that there was no such law and, unless posted with the proper signs, anyone with a license could walk into the bank with their weapon. He was shocked at this. I suspect that once banks start to come to grips with the new OC law they are going to start putting up the proper signs required. OC may well turn out to be counter productive for license holders.
And why are we telling them how to give effective notice?

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

gljjt wrote:
tiger1279 wrote:
puma guy wrote:

I don't think the guy (LEO) I spoke with will give the CU any advice since he's convinced federal law prevents it anyway. I di:tiphat:
I do agree with tiger1279 that OC could turn out to be counter productive. Only time will tell. BTW the LEO opined on several other aspects of CC and OC that I didn't deem worth mentioning.

tiger1279
Posts in topic: 2

Post by tiger1279 »

puma guy, I should have explained that my post was of a personal nature. I have been doing business with this bank for over 20yrs and the manager is a personal friend. Knowing he did not want guns in the bank, it seemed prudent to inform him of what the law required him to do. I have no doubt he would have discovered this on his own anyway. I certainly don't go around telling merchants how to keep license holders out of their stores. Sorry, if you got that impression. This was just a personal conversation between me and a friend.

rentz

Post by rentz »

puma guy wrote:I was at my credit union this morning and asked the LEO working security if he had any concerns about OC. His thoughts were that OC would invite criminals to target them first, but it's the law. Then he said something that was just zany, at least to me. He was worried that OC would lead to more road rage. I offered respectfully that CHL's (now LTC) were very law abiding less likely to commit a crime than even an LEO.

An officer swore up and down to me that liquor store rule too, I assured him that wasn't the case and was told he can't even carry in there when off duty.... I just played along and said oh wow ok didn't know and went about my business

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

rentz wrote:
puma guy wrote:I was at my credit union this morning and asked the LEO working security if he had any concerns about OC. His thoughts were that OC would invite criminals to target them first, but it's the law. Then he said something that was just zany, at least to me. He was worried that OC would lead to more road rage. I offered respectfully that CHL's (now LTC) were very law abiding less likely to commit a crime than even an LEO.

An officer swore up and down to me that liquor store rule too, I assured him that wasn't the case and was told he can't even carry in there when off duty.... I just played along and said oh wow ok didn't know and went about my business
When I run into people like that, I don't concede a penny's worth. I just say "if you say so", smile, and shake my head.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

tiger1279 wrote:And why are we telling them how to give effective notice?

puma guy, I should have explained that my post was of a personal nature. I have been doing business with this bank for over 20yrs and the manager is a personal friend. Knowing he did not want guns in the bank, it seemed prudent to inform him of what the law required him to do. I have no doubt he would have discovered this on his own anyway. I certainly don't go around telling merchants how to keep license holders out of their stores. Sorry, if you got that impression. This was just a personal conversation between me and a friend.
No problem except I didn't ask. It was gljjt 's question
gljjt wrote: And why are we telling them how to give effective notice?

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Abraham wrote:puma guy,

Was he a Rent-A-Cop or an LEO?
LEO - He was retired from Houston Police Department and is now with a different department. He knew several HPD officers that I hung with in the old days.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”