A Small WIN!

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

The Wall
Posts in topic: 1

Re: A Small WIN!

Post by The Wall »

Lynyrd wrote:My employer has both 30.06 and 30.07 signs up at every entrance. Our employee handbook prohibits weapons of any kind. I challenged myself to get that changed. I learned some things in the process. The real underlying reason behind the signs is a lack of knowledge by the owner. He doesn't know anything about guns. I won't say he's scared of them, but the lack of knowledge about the CHL process, and guns in general create nervousness for him. I don't agree with it, but by the same token I'm nervous when working inside a breaker panel.

Through many private conversations I was able to gain his trust. This took place over many months, and a little bit at a time. He came to understand that I wasn't a maniac for carrying a gun. Over time, he came to understand my motivation. We have fire extinguishers all over the plant, but we're not looking for a fire. The more he understood, the less he worried. The less he worried, the more open he became to listening to my point of view.

The signs are still up, but there is now a new section in the employee handbook about how employees can apply for written authorization from the company to CC. There are several restrictions, and OC is still not allowed. BUT, knowledge and calm reasoning is bringing him around. For the first time I can now CC at work. Given time, I believe more changes will happen.

I'm new to this forum, as you can tell. I've been reading here today and it seems that many get so readily offended that the ignorant "gun haters" would dare to try and restrict our 2A rights. I don't like it either. But I don't think bluster and attitude will ever convince the unwashed. I fought a very, very small battle and with time, patience and some sound reasoning was able to make a small change.

Among all the rants, I just wanted to tell you about a very, very small win.
He sounds like a good candidate for you to take to the range and show him guns aren't monsters. Maybe you'll end up with a new shooting buddy.
I enjoyed your story also. Nicely done.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Good job sir. It takes a village to raise a child but in our case, it takes a LTC holder to raise a village.

I posted several years ago about a time when I was applying for a job. I was offered a job and given a handbook that stated no carry. I explained to the powers that I would not accept the position unless I could CC. They apparently wanted me bad enough that they changed the policy, hired me and the rest was history. I have since left that company, started my own business and have sent several employees to CHL classes.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Lynyrd »

I know this is an old topic, but I have a new report to make on this subject. My boss just took the LTC course! I never thought it would happen, but he did. Passing along knowledge and understanding is paying dividends. :woohoo
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Interblog

Post by Interblog »

+1 on winning the forum. We all have a small role to play in public education. But a bunch of small roles can add up to big changes.

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

I wouldn't call that a small win.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

OlBill wrote:I wouldn't call that a small win.

:iagree:

I call that a major victory, and if there were a trophy for paitience, perserverence, and understanding, you sir, would be the unanimous selectee. Great work! I read through the original posts, and I am awed by the manner in which you went about enacting change. We all can learn from your attitude and methods, and I hope that others,use your example as a roadmap.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

flechero

Post by flechero »

Lynyrd wrote:I know this is an old topic, but I have a new report to make on this subject. My boss just took the LTC course! I never thought it would happen, but he did. Passing along knowledge and understanding is paying dividends. :woohoo
You are awesome! Thanks for the investment in your place of work, but more importantly for the investment in fellow Texan, voter and a new forum member to be!! :cheers2:

rotor

Post by rotor »

So did the signs come down? In the beginning you mention fire extinguishers, those are probably mandated by city codes in an office environment.

Topic author
Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Lynyrd »

rotor wrote:So did the signs come down? In the beginning you mention fire extinguishers, those are probably mandated by city codes in an office environment.
No, the signs have not come down. Maybe that can also happen in the future.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”