OPEN CARRY WHILE ON A MOTORCYCLE?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

TVGuy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: OPEN CARRY WHILE ON A MOTORCYCLE?

Post by TVGuy »

Solsand wrote:Simple question.... is it legal while on a public street, highway, etc.? Not that I want to or even need to but I'd like to know. Searched this forum but did not see anything directly relating to this question.
It's perfectly fine, I do it every week. I've had discussions with many officers that saw me carrying while I was on my bike and they have thought little of it. (not a big cruiser either, a Ducati Superbike that doesn't hide anything well)

I have caught a few people taking pictures of me from their cars while OCing on my bike. I think it is the ones that haven't seen OC going on and get a kick out of it. Plenty of thumbs-ups :thumbs2: as well.

Mel

Post by Mel »

hurleyman77 wrote:I registered just to answer this question!
Several years ago (before the recent Open Carry laws) I called my local police department to ask if it were legal for me to transport a rifle that I'd just purchased, on my motorcycle. The very helpful officer informed me that was (and still is) perfectly legal to openly carry a firearm in/on your motor vehicle, including a motorcycle. HOWEVER, if a patrolling officer thought that I was brandishing it, or if it frightened people, then I might be arrested for Brandishing a Weapon, or some kind of Disorderly Conduct.
So, as is often the case, "Is it legal to carry" is rarely the only question to ask. Sure, it might be legal to carry... and you might still get properly arrested anyway.
I would be interested in hearing what law would be referenced for "Brandishing a Weapon". Never heard of that law in Texas.
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

hurleyman77 wrote:I registered just to answer this question!

Several years ago (before the recent Open Carry laws) I called my local police department to ask if it were legal for me to transport a rifle that I'd just purchased, on my motorcycle. The very helpful officer informed me that was (and still is) perfectly legal to openly carry a firearm in/on your motor vehicle, including a motorcycle. HOWEVER, if a patrolling officer thought that I was brandishing it, or if it frightened people, then I might be arrested for Brandishing a Weapon, or some kind of Disorderly Conduct.

So, as is often the case, "Is it legal to carry" is rarely the only question to ask. Sure, it might be legal to carry... and you might still get properly arrested anyway.
BMW R90/6
Welcome to the forum, hurleyman77! Every time I've carried a pistol while riding, I've carried openly. Of course, long arms are different from handguns.

Since Texas law does not mention or define "brandishing", disorderly conduct would seem to be the most likely charge. A holstered handgun should not cause issues.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... /PE.46.htm

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... /PE.42.htm

TPC Title 9, Chapter 42, Section 42.01:
"(8) displays a firearm or other deadly weapon in a public place in a manner calculated to alarm;"

Sections 46.02, 46.035, and 46.15 provide unlesses, exceptions, and nonapplicability for license holders.
:txflag:
Last edited by oljames3 on Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

rm9792
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rm9792 »

I intentionally open carry on a bike to keep people away. SS 1911 shows up well against a black jacket. Once I dismount I drop my shirt over it.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I generally dont have a choice as the wind usually blows my shirt up exposing it anyway
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Heading home.jpg
This picture was taken last year, I just finished teaching class, on my way home.
The picture was posted to a FB group that is no longer up..But it was a anti 2a group of clucking hens, male and female types that were traumatized and offended by the sight of a GUN .

Fellow posters on that sight had all kinds of "great" suggestion, from calling the police and saying they were scared for their life, to running over "that idiot gun nut", to having a friend "run my plate" and get my home address so I could be visited and given an earful...what ever that means.
I was told about the pic, from a friend of a friend with an acquaintance that saw us together at a bike night and put two and two together. Im told, word got back to the group admin, screen shots of the suggestions for illegal activities and outright physical threats had been taken and sent to the FBI and Texas Department of Justice ..I do not know if any of that is true....only have it third hand, I was later told the FB group was shut down with no explanation..it simply was no longer there.

Too bad, i wanted to join and saying thanks for the pic, I liked it enough to post it on my FB page..LOL I hardly ever get pics of me riding even though i ride 10's of thousands of miles a year.

BTW, That was an intentional "open carry" not because Im all that interested in Open carry, but simple because the jacket I wore that day did not fit well over my gun.

Erik
koine2002 wrote:I've done it many times. I remember, a few months after OC passed, I was OC's on the bike. At a stoplight, a lady pulled up next to me in a crossover SUV that was decked out in political stickers that typically signal an anti-gun bias even if there is no anti-gun bias sticker (which I saw after we pulled out when the light turned green). I really didn't pay her any mind until, when the light turned green, I glanced and saw her phone up. She was probably taking a picture. I imagine that picture is floating around some angry mom forums.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

E.Marquez wrote:
Heading home.jpg
This picture was taken last year, I just finished teaching class, on my way home.
The picture was posted to a FB group that is no longer up..But it was a anti 2a group of clucking hens, male and female types that were traumatized and offended by the sight of a GUN .

Fellow posters on that sight had all kinds of "great" suggestion, from calling the police and saying they were scared for their life, to running over "that idiot gun nut", to having a friend "run my plate" and get my home address so I could be visited and given an earful...what ever that means.
I was told about the pic, from a friend of a friend with an acquaintance that saw us together at a bike night and put two and two together. Im told, word got back to the group admin, screen shots of the suggestions for illegal activities and outright physical threats had been taken and sent to the FBI and Texas Department of Justice ..I do not know if any of that is true....only have it third hand, I was later told the FB group was shut down with no explanation..it simply was no longer there.

Too bad, i wanted to join and saying thanks for the pic, I liked it enough to post it on my FB page..LOL I hardly ever get pics of me riding even though i ride 10's of thousands of miles a year.

BTW, That was an intentional "open carry" not because Im all that interested in Open carry, but simple because the jacket I wore that day did not fit well over my gun.

Erik
koine2002 wrote:I've done it many times. I remember, a few months after OC passed, I was OC's on the bike. At a stoplight, a lady pulled up next to me in a crossover SUV that was decked out in political stickers that typically signal an anti-gun bias even if there is no anti-gun bias sticker (which I saw after we pulled out when the light turned green). I really didn't pay her any mind until, when the light turned green, I glanced and saw her phone up. She was probably taking a picture. I imagine that picture is floating around some angry mom forums.

That's funny.

They must have good eyesight, I had to look closely to even see the gun. With your multi-colored jacket and backpack close by, it is hard to see.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Jusme wrote: They must have good eyesight, I had to look closely to even see the gun. With your multi-colored jacket and backpack close by, it is hard to see.
They were in the car next to me... I remember seeing them look at me, but I did not observe them taking a picture.. But as soon as I was sent the pic I know exactly when it happened and by who.
I thought it was funny.
after I knew about it I contacted the local PD, whose officers are often sitting next to our range watching our riders while they do what officers do sitting in a parking lot.. There been no reports that day I was told and these are his words "If there had been we would have come by and laughed about it"
Small town PD, where they know the regulars ..good chance the department person answering the phone would have said something like// "Say again what he looks like????? Oh you mean the guy that teaches motorcycle classes at the high school? ..Yes we know he has a gun...likely more than one ..and why are you calling to tell us this?" "rlol"
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

E.Marquez wrote:
Heading home.jpg

{stuff deleted here}

Erik
Maybe she took your picture because you were on a "bullet bike". Nice CBR(?) by the way. ;-)
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I thought I had posted something here on this topic, but don't see anything.

Anyway, I don't OC much. That's been explained in other threads. Now that I'm back in the saddle again, maybe that's where I posted something about this, I may OC on trips simply because there's less storage space and it would be easier to OC than pack it. However, I've also recently learned of my wife's distaste for OC. We'll see how that goes.

My biggest concern with OCing while riding is that someone will call 911 and tell them that I point my gun at them. Road ragers are still in the news every week it seems and there's even been a case recently where a guy called the police on his friend that was carrying in a 51% place because they had an argument. My concern might be like a phobia, but who hasn't heard of being "swatted?"
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

Unless they have some sort of proof it isnt a problem. Honestly they could say that anyway or a hundred other things that are lies.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”