OPEN CARRY WHILE ON A MOTORCYCLE?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Solsand
Posts in topic: 5

OPEN CARRY WHILE ON A MOTORCYCLE?

Post by Solsand »

Simple question.... is it legal while on a public street, highway, etc.? Not that I want to or even need to but I'd like to know. Searched this forum but did not see anything directly relating to this question.

Breny414
Posts in topic: 4

Re: OPEN CARRY WHILE ON A MOTORCYCLE?

Post by Breny414 »

Solsand wrote:Simple question.... is it legal while on a public street, highway, etc.? Not that I want to or even need to but I'd like to know. Searched this forum but did not see anything directly relating to this question.
If you have an LTC, then yes!

mr1337
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mr1337 »

Solsand wrote:Simple question.... is it legal while on a public street, highway, etc.? Not that I want to or even need to but I'd like to know. Searched this forum but did not see anything directly relating to this question.
It is, if you have a License to Carry (LTC) or a carry permit from a state the Texas recognizes.

If you do not have a license, open carry while in a motor vehicle (which includes riding a motorcycle) is not allowed. If that is the case, you would have to carry concealed.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Breny414

Post by Breny414 »

mr1337 wrote:
It is, if you have a License to Carry (LTC) or a carry permit from a state the Texas recognizes.

If you do not have a license, open carry while in a motor vehicle (which includes riding a motorcycle) is not allowed. If that is the case, you would have to carry concealed.
:iagree:

I would add that when you dismount your bike you are no longer covered by the MPA unless you are going to/from your residence, apartment, hotel, etc.. I think that's right.

LucasMcCain
Posts in topic: 3

Post by LucasMcCain »

I have been carrying open on the bike some, as it's been cold and it's difficult to get to a concealed gun quickly when zipped up and wearing gloves. I haven't been pulled over yet, but I would caution that it will probably happen. However, it does seem to cut down on tailgating. ;-)
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

mr1337
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mr1337 »

LucasMcCain wrote:I have been carrying open on the bike some, as it's been cold and it's difficult to get to a concealed gun quickly when zipped up and wearing gloves. I haven't been pulled over yet, but I would caution that it will probably happen. However, it does seem to cut down on tailgating. ;-)
I suppose that open carrying a long gun might have the same effect.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Breny414

Post by Breny414 »

LucasMcCain wrote:I have been carrying open on the bike some, as it's been cold and it's difficult to get to a concealed gun quickly when zipped up and wearing gloves. I haven't been pulled over yet, but I would caution that it will probably happen. However, it does seem to cut down on tailgating. ;-)
Hopefully it's no more of an issue than being on foot or in your car while OC.

16Adams
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 16Adams »

Interesting. In and around AMARILLO I've seen three SOB holsters on bike riders. All empty. I've also yet to see an open carry period.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

This is one case where I would really recommend a retention holster.
NRA Endowment Member

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

Breny414 wrote:Hopefully it's no more of an issue than being on foot or in your car while OC.
I hope not. However, in your car it's a lot less visible, so a LEO isn't likely to see that you're OC unless you're already being stopped for something else. I also tend to see far fewer LEOs while just walking around than I do while driving around. My concern is that I will be stopped to check my LTC but ticketed for some stupid crap like the light for my license plate not being bright enough or something of that ilk. As I said, though, it hasn't happened yet. If it does, y'all will certainly hear about it, good or bad.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

Topic author
Solsand

Post by Solsand »

Yes I do have LTC but in this brave new OC world I'm always trying to make sure I am interpreting the law correctly. thanks to all for the prompt replies. I do agree with the poster that mentioned it cutting back on tailgating - and car vs. mc ragers - I bet it works better than my get-back whip. Drivers never even know what that's for... until I have to use it.

Breny414

Post by Breny414 »

I ride but I have not carried (cc or otherwise) while on the bike. I imagine OC could be the best option as far as accessibility goes. cc could work if you choose not to wear safety gear, but that's a bad idea.

The first person I ever saw OC was on a bike in Arizona, a long time ago. He had a vertical shoulder holster with huge revolver

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

I rode about 30 miles through Houston last summer w. an AR across my back to a friend's house. Pleasantly surprised that I made the round trip w/o a police intercept.

Don't recall any tailgater's, either
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Topic author
Solsand

Post by Solsand »

RHenriksen wrote:I rode about 30 miles through Houston last summer w. an AR across my back to a friend's house. Pleasantly surprised that I made the round trip w/o a police intercept.

Don't recall any tailgater's, either
NICE... :thumbs2:

txhighlander

Post by txhighlander »

Solsand wrote:Yes I do have LTC but in this brave new OC world I'm always trying to make sure I am interpreting the law correctly. thanks to all for the prompt replies. I do agree with the poster that mentioned it cutting back on tailgating - and car vs. mc ragers - I bet it works better than my get-back whip. Drivers never even know what that's for... until I have to use it.
I do have to ask, how offten have you used your getback whip? Some of the guys I am starting to ride with have them.
Last edited by txhighlander on Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Truth against the world

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”