OPEN CARRY WHILE ON A MOTORCYCLE?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Re: OPEN CARRY WHILE ON A MOTORCYCLE?

Post by RoyGBiv »

LucasMcCain wrote:However, it does seem to cut down on tailgating. ;-)
Hmmmmm..... Might have to give it a try.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

Solsand wrote:Yes I do have LTC but in this brave new OC world I'm always trying to make sure I am interpreting the law correctly. thanks to all for the prompt replies. I do agree with the poster that mentioned it cutting back on tailgating - and car vs. mc ragers - I bet it works better than my get-back whip. Drivers never even know what that's for... until I have to use it.
How does one use this "get back whip"?
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

Topic author
Solsand
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Solsand »

txhighlander wrote:
Solsand wrote:Yes I do have LTC but in this brave new OC world I'm always trying to make sure I am interpreting the law correctly. thanks to all for the prompt replies. I do agree with the poster that mentioned it cutting back on tailgating - and car vs. mc ragers - I bet it works better than my get-back whip. Drivers never even know what that's for... until I have to use it.
I do have to ask, how offten have you used your getback whip? Some of the guys I am starting to ride with have them.
Three times in 33 years. One time led to an arrest where charges were later dismissed. As my attorney an I explained in hearing, the vehicle had to be pretty much right on top of me to use it. Gran jury agreed and used some common sense and dismissed charges...

LucasMcCain
Posts in topic: 3

Post by LucasMcCain »

I don't have a get-back whip, but I did replace the wimpy sounding stock horn for one that sounds like one off a box truck. The look on people's faces when they think they somehow lost a UPS truck in their blind spot are pretty great.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

LucasMcCain wrote:I don't have a get-back whip, but I did replace the wimpy sounding stock horn for one that sounds like one off a box truck. The look on people's faces when they think they somehow lost a UPS truck in their blind spot are pretty great.
Amen - I prefer a loud horn to loud exhaust any day. I have a Stebel Nautilus on both of my street bikes. I was able to source one from Europe with a blacked-out finish that fit perfectly w. a flat black Ducati Streetfighter :-) Every model available domestically is chrome, go figure. :roll:
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

nimravus01

Post by nimravus01 »

From section 46:02:
(a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:
(1) the handgun is in plain view, unless the person is licensed to carry a handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and the handgun is carried in a shoulder or belt holster;

IANAL, but, as I read it, and others have stated, as long as you have a LTC, and carry in a belt or shoulder holster, then it is legal.

Edited to correct Texas penal code reference.

Topic author
Solsand
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Solsand »

nimravus01 wrote:From section 46:02:
(a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:
(1) the handgun is in plain view, unless the person is licensed to carry a handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and the handgun is carried in a shoulder or belt holster;

IANAL, but, as I read it, and others have stated, as long as you have a LTC, and carry in a belt or shoulder holster, then it is legal.

Edited to correct Texas penal code reference.
Thanks for posting the actual reference. It does read pretty straightforward.

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

OCed my Glock a couple of times on my bike. No issue. Definitely have a good holster though!
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

maverick2076

Post by maverick2076 »

txhighlander wrote:
I do have to ask, how offten have you used your getback whip? Some of the guys I am starting to ride with have them.
I've never used my get back whip, but I have kicked a car door once when the driver couldn't disengage from his cell phone long enough to verify that the left turn lane he was trying to merge into was vacant.

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

maverick2076 wrote:
txhighlander wrote:
I've never used my get back whip, but I have kicked a car door once when the driver couldn't disengage from his cell phone long enough to verify that the left turn lane he was trying to merge into was vacant.
Stebel Nautilus helps, too
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

txbirddog

Post by txbirddog »

WildBill wrote:
Solsand wrote:Simple question.... is it legal while on a public street, highway, etc.? Not that I want to or even need to but I'd like to know. Searched this forum but did not see anything directly relating to this question.
This is one case where I would really recommend a retention holster.
On long trips I usually wear the Miami Classic under my vest.

The Marshal

Post by The Marshal »

RHenriksen wrote:
Stebel Nautilus helps, too
A Must! Or the Wolo BadBoy Horn for the least expensive version. (Same horn, not as purdy)
Either of these will make Soccer Mommy throw her iPhone into the rear seats with a well placed blast.

I have not had a chance to carry on the M/C as I have not had a way to secure the firearm to my comfort level.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

maverick2076 wrote:
txhighlander wrote:

I ride an R1, so no get-back whip. But I did find out that carbon fiber gloves work well to "lightly tap" :smash: on a window when some douche-canoe decides to merge without looking. I'm definitely going to OC on the bike... just as soon as I get my license back with the address change.

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

I live in Texas so I have loud pipes. You want someone to back off just blip the on off handlebar switch off then on and the pow makes people look and quit tailgating.

hurleyman77

Post by hurleyman77 »

I registered just to answer this question!

Several years ago (before the recent Open Carry laws) I called my local police department to ask if it were legal for me to transport a rifle that I'd just purchased, on my motorcycle. The very helpful officer informed me that was (and still is) perfectly legal to openly carry a firearm in/on your motor vehicle, including a motorcycle. HOWEVER, if a patrolling officer thought that I was brandishing it, or if it frightened people, then I might be arrested for Brandishing a Weapon, or some kind of Disorderly Conduct.

So, as is often the case, "Is it legal to carry" is rarely the only question to ask. Sure, it might be legal to carry... and you might still get properly arrested anyway.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”