Public Library in Katy (Cinco Ranch) with a "clever" sign... Grrr

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

KLB
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Public Library in Katy (Cinco Ranch) with a "clever" sign... Grrr

Post by KLB »

Waco1959 wrote:Sounds like they didn't bother to read what the Texas State Library sent out last year . . . .
The rightness of their world view seems so compelling to them that they believe they must be allowed to ignore the law if the law is so ill advised as to violate their view. Those of us who disagree are rednecked rubes who need not be taken seriously.

Topic author
Scott in Houston
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Scott in Houston »

eyet wrote:
Scott in Houston wrote:In reading 46.03, I'm assuming they're trying to use "educational institution" as their argument?
You nailed it. I emailed County Judge Hebert and received a reply from the county attorney's office today. It was voted on in the February 9 Commissioners Court meeting. You can see the order, which contains their rationale at the link below. As a non-attorney, the logic seems pretty tortured.

http://agendalink.co.fort-bend.tx.us:80 ... 0order.pdf

I'll submit a complaint on the attorney general's web site in 3 days.
Great find. I haven't had a chance to send in my letter to Herbert yet as I've been traveling and working my rear end off since I took this picture.

The Commissioner is someone that I also know VERY well. I'm very disappointed in my county and these leaders. It's a ridiculous argument. We need to make sure these signs come down!

Turboblaster

Post by Turboblaster »

Perhaps we should tell them that our handguns are educational tools used to educate criminals that crime does not pay.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

The problem is that just about anything could be considered an "educational institution". Life is a learning experience.

Given abuses like we are seeing here, educational institutions need to be removed from the list of people owned properties that can legally ban carry. No exceptions.

338winmag

Post by 338winmag »

eyet wrote:
Scott in Houston wrote:In reading 46.03, I'm assuming they're trying to use "educational institution" as their argument?
You nailed it. I emailed County Judge Hebert and received a reply from the county attorney's office today. It was voted on in the February 9 Commissioners Court meeting. You can see the order, which contains their rationale at the link below. As a non-attorney, the logic seems pretty tortured.

If this is an educational facility, do they get the money for their budget from the school district?

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

338winmag wrote:
eyet wrote:

If this is an educational facility, do they get the money for their budget from the school district?
I wouldn't be surprised if the school didn't donate or in some way contribute to the library, but that still doesn't count.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

A county entity falling under 46.03? <insert facepalm here>
Are they delusional, or just arrogant?
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:A county entity falling under 46.03? <insert facepalm here>
I'm going to go with delusional.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

This is why we need to shift the process such that a people owned location must get clearance before they put signs up.

As it stands, they get to put up illegal signs, and leave them up while they make completely disingenuous arguments. And there are no repercussions whatsoever as long as they pull the signs down right before the fines start being assessed.

The law as it is now presumes that all parties will act with good faith to abide by the law. We have a number of government entities that have proven they cannot be entrusted to do this, so we need to take all discretion away from them.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

C-dub wrote:
JustSomeOldGuy wrote:A county entity falling under 46.03? <insert facepalm here>
I'll go with arrogant and here's why:

Even though the law allows it, the Legislature has gone out of their way to NOT prohibit license holders in the capitol building, including when they are in session. They have even gone so far as to set up a separate entry lane for license holders. In doing these things, the Legislature has made a very public statement that they fully trust the law abiding citizens who willingly put themselves through the vetting process to obtain the license.

In light of that, any political subdivision that posts (whether allowed by law or not) is making a public statement that they put themselves on a higher pedestal than the Legislature.

The Legislature set the standard. It is testimony to the character of the people running a political subdivision whether they post or not.

Just my $.02. :tiphat:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Pawpaw wrote:
C-dub wrote:

Even though the law allows it, the Legislature has gone out of their way to NOT prohibit license holders in the capitol building, including when they are in session. They have even gone so far as to set up a separate entry lane for license holders. In doing these things, the Legislature has made a very public statement that they fully trust the law abiding citizens who willingly put themselves through the vetting process to obtain the license.

In light of that, any political subdivision that posts (whether allowed by law or not) is making a public statement that they put themselves on a higher pedestal than the Legislature.

The Legislature set the standard. It is testimony to the character of the people running a political subdivision whether they post or not.

Does the law allow for the Legislature to ban carry when they are NOT in session? I thought it didn't...Then again it's the Legislature, so they could just change the law if they wanted to... :shock:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

ScottDLS wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
C-dub wrote:

Does the law allow for the Legislature to ban carry when they are NOT in session? I thought it didn't...Then again it's the Legislature, so they could just change the law if they wanted to... :shock:
No, but the law does say:
PC §46.035 wrote:(c) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed or carried in a shoulder or belt holster, in the room or rooms where a meeting of a governmental entity is held and if the meeting is an open meeting subject to Chapter 551, Government Code, and the entity provided notice as required by that chapter.
Of course, sub-paragraph (i) says it must be posted. Even still, the Legislature does not allow that when they are in session. I think that certainly qualifies as, "a meeting of a governmental entity." ;-)
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

OK right, they allow it WHILE they're meeting, which they don't have to... :tiphat:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

ScottDLS wrote:OK right, they allow it WHILE they're meeting, which they don't have to... :tiphat:
But they have posted the chambers in the past. It was specifically brought up during the testimony on Open Carry (if I recall correctly) that Sen. Whitmire at one point had received death threats and they posted the Senate gallery for a time so that visitors could not carry while the Senate was in session as a measure to ensure his safety.

imkopaka

Post by imkopaka »

Pawpaw wrote:
C-dub wrote:

Very thought-provoking. Excellent post. :tiphat:
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”