Peruta En Banc Opinion - Concealed Carry Lost

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

dhoobler
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Peruta En Banc Opinion - Concealed Carry Lost

Post by dhoobler »

OldAg wrote:
Does anyone know for sure that the nuclear option is invoked for SCOTUS appointees? My understanding is that it has been invoked for cabinet positions and all of the federal judge appointments except Supreme Court. SCOTUS still requires 60 votes to end debate and then the Senate can vote to confirm.
Remember in 2013 when Harry Reid used the ‘nuclear option’ to confirm judges?
Harry Reid’s new rule was that no filibusters could be used to stop judges below the Supreme Court. All it took was a simple majority to confirm them.
Harry Reid changed a long-standing tradition in service of Democrat partisanship.
Fast forward to 2017. Republicans will have a simple majority in the Senate. And there are over 100 empty judge spots below the Supreme Court.
http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2016/12 ... mediately/
Revolver - An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Life Member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 9

Post by The Annoyed Man »

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2017/04/26/su ... alifornia/
Supreme Court May Hear Case Affirming Right to Concealed Carry
The right to bear arms shall not be infringed.
Peruta is asking the courts to put that option back on the table in CA and everywhere else it has been denied, and basically make “shall issue” the law of the land.

If the court takes up this case, we’ll find out how its newest member will really rule on 2A issues. Ultimately, this could be the case that fills in some of the many gaps left by the Heller decision. If this passes, the urgency behind the national reciprocity act will ratchet down a bit more, because citizens in anti-gun states will finally be able to exercise their constitutional rights.
Now that we have Gorsuch on the bench, we have a chance.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

equin

Post by equin »

I'm eagerly awaiting the Supreme Court's decision on whether it will grant review of the case. If Peruta's petition is denied, I understand there may be another similar case in the pipeline out of the D.C. Circuit that could make its way for review by the Supreme Court.
Ed

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RoyGBiv »

I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

twjones
Posts in topic: 2

Post by twjones »

I'll ask again as I'm sure it was lost in the wash when this topic was just developing...

Doesn't this conflict with what the U.S. 7th Circuit Court of Appeals said in Moore/Shepard?

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

Trump needs to give the 9th circuit a good flush and drain the swamp some more. We need those jokers out of there. :rules:

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Keep waiting: http://www.scotusblog.com/2017/05/todays-orders-65/
The court also did not act on the petition for review in Peruta v. California, the latest gun rights case to come to the court, which apparently will be relisted for a second time.
Sorry for old news, that got mixed up in the SCOTUSblog for today with other cases.

ETA: There was a reason it got mixed up with today's news. They're not hearing it.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/06/26/us ... a-law.html
Thomas said the decision not to hear the case "reflects a distressing trend: the treatment of the Second Amendment as a disfavored right."
Last time I checked, it says the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

The Annoyed Man

TexasJohnBoy wrote:Keep waiting: http://www.scotusblog.com/2017/05/todays-orders-65/
The court also did not act on the petition for review in Peruta v. California, the latest gun rights case to come to the court, which apparently will be relisted for a second time.
Sorry for old news, that got mixed up in the SCOTUSblog for today with other cases.

ETA: There was a reason it got mixed up with today's news. They're not hearing it.
Thomas said the decision not to hear the case "reflects a distressing trend: the treatment of the Second Amendment as a disfavored right."
Last time I checked, it says the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Question: who decides whether or not a case will be heard? Do the justices vote on that decision, or is it made at some administrative level? And if the justices voted on it, did that vote include Gorshuch or not?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
TexasJohnBoy wrote:Keep waiting: http://www.scotusblog.com/2017/05/todays-orders-65/

Question: who decides whether or not a case will be heard? Do the justices vote on that decision, or is it made at some administrative level? And if the justices voted on it, did that vote include Gorshuch or not?
Pretty sure justices vote, but I am not sure. I also am not sure if Gorsuch voted since this was brought to the court before he was seated. I'm disappointed no matter what though.

It will come up again, and again, and again until they settle it.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

The Annoyed Man

TexasJohnBoy wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

Pretty sure justices vote, but I am not sure. I also am not sure if Gorsuch voted since this was brought to the court before he was seated. I'm disappointed no matter what though.

It will come up again, and again, and again until they settle it.
Well, let's hope they settle it before Edward Peruta dies of old age. :bigmouth

#TINVOWOOT

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Flightmare »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Question: who decides whether or not a case will be heard? Do the justices vote on that decision, or is it made at some administrative level? And if the justices voted on it, did that vote include Gorshuch or not?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cert_pool
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Flightmare »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/vol ... ntiquated/
For those of us who work in marbled halls, guarded constantly by a vigilant and dedicated police force, the guarantees of the Second Amendment might seem antiquated and superfluous. But the Framers made a clear choice: They reserved to all Americans the right to bear arms for self-defense. I do not think we should stand by idly while a State denies its citizens that right, particularly when their very lives may depend on it.
I don't think I could have stated it better myself.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

stroo

Post by stroo »

Looks like Gorsuch is going to be a 2nd Amendment vote. He and Thomas were pushing for the Supremes to take the case.

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

4 justices have to agree for the case to be heard. 5 justices to decide the case. Herd this on Rush today
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 4

Post by bblhd672 »

Apparently in a rare occurrence, Clarence Thomas wrote a dissent about the case not being heard by the court and Gorsuch agreed.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”